Author Topic: Samsung warrant's all makes pre-2009 TV's for faulty capacitor  (Read 17719 times)

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
Samsung warrant's all makes pre-2009 TV's for faulty capacitor
« on: February 29, 2012, 01:57:54 PM »
Seems SAMSUNG has been having a huge problem with their TV's shortly after the 1 year warranty had expired. Samsung initially turned their backs on the complaints til lawsuits were filed by groups who claimed that the faulty capacitors weren't a product problem but actually a design problem from using a too small rated capacitor that was destined to failure.

Well Samsung was finally forced to step up to the plate and reimburse all those who had an average of $160 repair bill along with offering free in-home repairs where applicable and free repair and 2-way shipping for those sets that needed to be sent to the New Jersey Samsung Repair Center.

Who said lawsuits were a bad thing when sometimes they are a necessity when dealing with big business.  :thumb:

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Samsung warrant's all makes pre-2009 TV's for faulty capacitor
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2012, 02:40:34 PM »
I wonder if this covers the "Robot Audio" problem my Samsung gets every time the set is unplugged, I need to shut down the circuit for maint. or I have a power failure...

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=20909601#post20909601
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline satfrat

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 02:57:53 PM »
Now's the time to call & complain to Samsung,,,, while the sting of the lawsuits are still hot.

Me, I own a Sony!  8)

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2012, 08:12:06 PM »
Now's the time to call & complain to Samsung,,,, while the sting of the lawsuits are still hot.

Me, I own a Sony!  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Well Robin if my experience with Sony service is anything typical you are in no great shakes either. IMO their service flat out sucks. I bought an in home service contract with my Sony 40" Bravia LCD set. It developed a problem where 2 of the 3 HDMI boards went bad. I had one working, but while the contract was still in force I wanted to get the other two repaired. I called in the trouble on 10/28/11. It took Sony until 12/15 to get the part and dispatch a tech to my house and when he got there they had ordered the analog output board instead of the digital HDMI board. The tech said they would reorder the part and it would take 3-5 days to arrive. They finally got it in and came back on 1/19/12. Now I still had one working port, but what if the TV was completely out of service. 12 weeks to get done what amounted to a less than 1/2 hour repair is just completely unacceptable. This will be the last Sony set I ever buy.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline satfrat

« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 08:41:43 PM »

Me, I own a Sony!  8)

Cheers,
Robin

Well Robin if my experience with Sony service is anything typical you are in no great shakes either. IMO their service flat out sucks. I bought an in home service contract with my Sony 40" Bravia LCD set. It developed a problem where 2 of the 3 HDMI boards went bad. I had one working, but while the contract was still in force I wanted to get the other two repaired. I called in the trouble on 10/28/11. It took Sony until 12/15 to get the part and dispatch a tech to my house and when he got there they had ordered the analog output board instead of the digital HDMI board. The tech said they would reorder the part and it would take 3-5 days to arrive. They finally got it in and came back on 1/19/12. Now I still had one working port, but what if the TV was completely out of service. 12 weeks to get done what amounted to a less than 1/2 hour repair is just completely unacceptable. This will be the last Sony set I ever buy.

Oh I've heard the horror stories about Sony's repair service all right Tom. :duh But I've been fortunate in that I've had 2 great sets, a 1900's Trinitron and my present 36" XBR CRT. In fact I just had to haul that 256 pound beast to the last remaining TV Repair business in Rutland to have a couple capacitors and a resister replaced in the power supply which fortunately didn't hurt my ISF calibrated picture (as far as I can tell aa). This place also sells Samsung TV's so I hope the bad press won't affect them too much. :duh

Cheers,
Robin

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 05:30:42 AM »
Panasonic is the way to go baby!!
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 05:53:48 AM »

Me, I own a Sony!  8)

Cheers,
Robin

I love the Sharp TVs we have, our old 32" CRT is still fully functional after 18 years, and the 3 year old 60" LCD in the living-room has a great picture and has never given us any trouble (knock wood ;))
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 08:44:51 AM »
In all fairness to Sony it is a great set picture wise and the HMDI ports went bad right after my Oppo DVD blew out a power supply cap, so I wonder if that failure sent a voltage spike towards the TV that fried the input ports. But that still doesn't excuse the dreadful service experience I had. As I tell my people at work all the time, it is not so much about how few problems you have, but rather how you handle the ones that you get.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline satfrat

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 05:26:16 PM »
The power supply in my Sony XBR shit the bed when I turned on an 18" 6000K Ideal-Lume florescent background light. Lesson learned, I now always turn the TV off first before turning that light on for the evening.  8)

Looking down the road, I'd really like a large 3D Panasonic plasma. But that's just from looking at what's available today. Who knows what the next best display device will be years from now.

Cheers,
Robin

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2012, 08:43:08 PM »
I have done a few of these capacitor replacements for friends in my area. Its a simple job to do and it is usually quite simple to spot the faulty capacitor(s) as it will usually have expanded if not blown. I have not yet seen one take out any other components on the board and all the ones I have repaired to date are still running just fine.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,