Author Topic: Album Reviews from "WAYLTRN" thread  (Read 6415 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Album Reviews from "WAYLTRN" thread
« on: February 17, 2012, 05:34:23 PM »
I would like to go into more discussion about albums I see in the "What are you listening to right now" thread.

I saw a post that someone was listening to Peter Gabriel's 'Up' and wanted to comment about it, get some feedback and talk about it... but I felt like my comments would just get buried and forgotten on page 412 or so.  ;)  

And since this IS the "Album Reviews" area..... I (and perhaps others) would like to see some reviews or info about what people are listening to.

So, for the posts to follow, please copy the URL for the thread with the page of the album you are talking about.  Then comment about the album(s) on that page and what you wanted to discuss about them.

For instance:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=7.6360
Barry's listening to Coldplay's ROBTTH album...
I agree about the recording quality but it's more like streaming via satellite quality... :(  It is a real shame.  I've heard them on TV doing some live stuff and I was amazed at how good his voice is.. why do they have to screw it up so bad?  Do you know of any live recordings of their first 2 albums where you can actually hear the music and voices?  
X&Y is not bad.  It's not great SQ-wise but it's worlds better than their first 2 albums.  

-----------------------------------------

So, something like that...
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Album Reviews from "WAYLTRN" thread
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 03:20:25 PM »
Really?  "here's what I'm listening to" is enough?  OK..
-Carl

Offline allenzachary

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »
No, wait...

I agree with you, Carl.  A sentence or two about the record, whether it is the poster's or a professional reviewer's, would be most appreciated.  How would you classify the record? (I know artists disdain genres--but most music can be categorized somehow). How does it rank amongst the artist's albums?  Is it a good place to start with the particular artist or is it better to be familiar with the artist's work before getting this record?  A link to samples or tracks on the record also is super groovy. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 06:54:02 PM »
Really?  "here's what I'm listening to" is enough?  OK..
-Carl

Sorry Carl, I didn't see your OP until now....

So, for the posts to follow, please copy the URL for the thread with the page of the album you are talking about.  Then comment about the album(s) on that page and what you wanted to discuss about them.

I'm not sure what you are suggesting.  :-k

Are you saying that if someone wants to comment on someone elses original post in the WAYLTRN thread that they should use a URL link to refer to the original? People kinda do that now (without a live link) by quoting the original post. But the subsequent posts get lost, as does the original. WAYLTRN is not a very good place for album reviews.

It would be nice to have dedicated threads per album for the benefits of searchability, and ongoing discussion and collective reviews per album, as the Album Reviews Ward was intended to function. Then people can comment a year later and it is still relevant and adds to the collective review.

Allen, I like your suggestions about including basic facts about the album and useful suggestions for potential buyers.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2012, 05:19:12 PM »
Rich,
That's what I'm very interested in reading... album reviews. 
However, I see lots of people listening to cool stuff and wanted to know more about that record, cd, or artist... or just more info.

So, I what I was trying to say is reference where you saw the original post (page 4,643 of WAYLTRN by 'Richidoo') .... but maybe no need to reference... just start asking about it. 

I hold back for whatever reason and I don't want others to do the same so I created this area... I guess it's more of a "I'd like more info please" than a real album review. 

I have since found a lot of reviews on Amazon about albums.  But I don't know the reviewers.  Around here I have some idea where people are coming from.

Thanks for indulging me!

-Carl

Offline richidoo

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 02:28:30 PM »
Start a new thread for an album review? Since this is the Album Reviews Section and all...

Then album related discussion can continue forever, and not get buried in the past.

And people who love the album can link to the review thread when they post in WAYLTN.

WAYLTN has been quiet lately. The heavy spinners have split the scene, or are otherwise occupied. But that's another topic for another day. :)

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:54:16 AM »
Sinatra Live at The Sands. A wonderful live CD. You can hear the room as well as every detail.
    Count Basies Orchestra kicks some arse with the dynamic horns. A 3D sound stage is there big time. One can easily discern the difference between the PA system introduction and the live music.
    Sinatra's voice is very natural. One of my go to recordings for testing and pleasure.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 04:36:11 PM »
A good thought, some other boards which have a WAYLTN variant have seen folks begin to comment on what they are spinning. For albums I already have, not that important to me. But for something I don't have and might consider, and I feel I can trust the poster, I pay attention. With that said, I'm working thru some Sinatra, based on Rollo's thoughts I'm putting on Live at the Sands next.

After I mix a martini.....

.....ring-a-ding-ding baby!
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline rollo

• Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 05:48:45 AM »
A good thought, some other boards which have a WAYLTN variant have seen folks begin to comment on what they are spinning. For albums I already have, not that important to me. But for something I don't have and might consider, and I feel I can trust the poster, I pay attention. With that said, I'm working thru some Sinatra, based on Rollo's thoughts I'm putting on Live at the Sands next.

After I mix a martini.....

.....ring-a-ding-ding baby!

Jack Daniels goes with Sinatra, his favorite drink.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm - Aqua Acoustic Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm Speakers - PI Audio Uberbuss - Triode Wire Labs- Kuzma - Furutech - Audio Hungry Qualiton - Fritz Carrera speakers -Gigawatt-Arion