Author Topic: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL  (Read 35381 times)

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL
« Reply #90 on: September 23, 2011, 01:31:36 PM »
My SME 3009 had  a similiar arrangement for anti skate and it was nearly impossible to move that damn string to the next groove. :duh
Great sounding arm though, sold it , and moved on to a better easier to setup arm

Evan it sounds good from my computer speakers
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #91 on: September 25, 2011, 05:57:04 AM »
I should of asked Jim first but I found a guy in Canada who has the JJ pre and he sent me a PDF file of the owners manual (all 3 pages ) so I can set the dip switches on back for the phono stage. Now she is singing sweet. No noise , nice warmth in the mids, bass reaches deep and nice shimmering cymbals. I originally was using it the way Jim gave it to me with all dip swithches off which is = to 47pf /47 kohms. I have dip switch 8 on which equates to 267pf/47 kohms and it sounds awesome.

evan1

Re: Getting My Feet Wet in VINYL / Isolation (new topic 11-20-11)
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2011, 03:26:48 AM »
I have an isolation question. Thinking about doing a sandbox based upon the design found on the web. I'm sure you all have seen it

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/sandblaster_e.html

Is this better than doing a platform like the Ginko with rubber balls ? And do these eliminate airborne vibrations ?

I don't have any isolation problems that I'm aware of and just want to see what it will do for my sound.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 06:23:11 AM by evan1 »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2011, 08:21:50 AM »
  The sandbox method is very affective. Built my own and no going back. The sandbox is mounted on Target speaker stands. Screwed to speaker stand and spiked to floor. If you cannot use or perfer not using the speaker stands either cones to a wood surface below or Mapleshade Isoblocks will do the trick. Very affective.
  Some like using tennis balls to fill the box in lieu of sand. Have fun trying.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2011, 08:42:09 AM »
Evan,
I can sell you a Bright star sand box for $50, in beautiful wrinkle black
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

evan1

« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2011, 08:46:27 AM »
Evan,
I can sell you a Bright star sand box for $50, in beautiful wrinkle black

What are the dimensions ?

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #96 on: November 21, 2011, 02:12:54 AM »
The platform it sits on is 13.5 by 17.5, overall add an inch or so for total size..

evan1

« Reply #97 on: November 21, 2011, 06:43:30 AM »
The platform it sits on is 13.5 by 17.5, overall add an inch or so for total size..

Bring it to emils so I can check it out

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #98 on: November 21, 2011, 07:11:06 AM »
Sand boxes are great for adding mass to a turntable, or to an overall shelf/rack, and that helps with isolation, to a degree. But it will not stop everything. In fact, the mass on a sandbox actually couples to the stand and some low thumping vibrations (i.e. knucke raps on the stand itself) will still be transmitted through the turntable. The Ginko solution will in fact get rid of these.

Coupling a Ginko type solution to a sandbox will get you 98% of the way there. Here's my stand - integrated sandbox for each shelf w 50 lbs of sand in each, and a DIY Ginko under the turntable using 12 squash balls under a 1" maple butcher block sitting on top of the sandbox shelf.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2011, 08:35:46 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

« Reply #99 on: November 21, 2011, 08:31:48 AM »
How about if I add heavier feet to my table?

Offline Putz

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #100 on: November 21, 2011, 10:49:59 AM »
I just ordered new feet for my VPI Aries from [urlhttp://edensoundaudio.com/pricelist.html][/url]

Got the Terrastone ones. Should have them in a couple of days. Money back if i don't like em.

Also using a 2" thick Maple block (found a John Boos cutting board on ebay for a great price).

Whole thing is sitting on a Target wall shelf about 5' off the floor. If i host a Rave, hope to have Lonewolf pose next to it.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #101 on: November 21, 2011, 10:51:01 AM »
  Bob good point. I used Zorbex to decouple the box from the stand. first attempt was screwing a Maple plinth to the stand with Isoblocks supporting the sand box.
  Nick from Arcicci gave me these Zorbex isolation pads to try. So far no complaints. The homemade Ginko solution sounds good as well.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.