Author Topic: Stamford Rave: Sept. 10th from 12:30pm to 7:00pm  (Read 17845 times)

AcidJazz

Re: Stamford Rave: Sept. 10th from 12:30pm to 7:00pm
« Reply #45 on: September 12, 2011, 10:02:55 PM »
I see a lot of favorable comments on the NAKSA's bass...what about the midrange and highs?
Early in the NAKSA's entry in the market, there were many(?) comments on the 'tube-like' sound of the midrange along with the good bass.

This is the second straight year I have missed Jim's rave...I am a bad raver.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #46 on: September 13, 2011, 02:22:12 AM »
I can only comment on hearing it with Jim's Tannoys. Tube like?..I don't know.... after actually hooking up a real tube amp the difference was stark.
Jim Tannoys don't need much power and I find speakers tend to have to find their amp mate to be happy. The Naksa on the Tannoys pretty much annoyed everyone in the room, but it was supposed to work well with the Lenehams but I only heard that combo briefly which sounded pretty good. Tube like? I have never heard SS do what tubes do, and I have heard some big buck SS amps. The best of the SS designs tend to get out of the way of the music and not leave a SS signature. They become acceptable, really good tube amp designs become pure musical engagement, but I am biased toward the tube sound. They do dimensionality like no SS can, dimensionality coupled with good tone and air just goes along way to create emotional engagement for me.
Not knocking SS designs< I am currently using a 1000 watt SS amps now, and they sound great, but they do not sound like a tube amp
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #47 on: September 13, 2011, 07:15:55 AM »
  It may have not been the Naksa. The gol;dpoint passive might not have been a good match. I could not find the input sensitivity spec on their site. Passives require an input sensitivity of under 1mv preferably half that. If not the top thinned out and can get fatiguing.
   Would like to hear it with an active tubed pre. Jury is still out. Tubelike that day ?  No.

charles
SMA
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #48 on: September 13, 2011, 12:19:28 PM »
what combo was pushing the Lenehans?
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #49 on: September 13, 2011, 12:43:10 PM »
  It may have not been the Naksa. The goldpoint passive might not have been a good match. I could not find the input sensitivity spec on their site. Passives require an input sensitivity of under 1mv preferably half that. If not the top thinned out and can get fatiguing.
I've never seen an input sensitivity listed for a passive preamp, only input impedance.

Right from Naska, which impedance attenuator would work best: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/28374-NAKSA-Review/page9

Since the standard Goldpoint is 25K, it should have been a decent match. 

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2011, 05:30:41 PM »
 It may have not been the Naksa. The goldpoint passive might not have been a good match. I could not find the input sensitivity spec on their site. Passives require an input sensitivity of under 1mv preferably half that. If not the top thinned out and can get fatiguing.
I've never seen an input sensitivity listed for a passive preamp, only input impedance.

Right from Naska, which impedance attenuator would work best: http://www.stereo.net.au/forums/showthread.php/28374-NAKSA-Review/page9

Since the standard Goldpoint is 25K, it should have been a decent match.  

Sorry I did not be specific. It is the input sensitivity of the amp  :duh. I meant the amp requires a low input sensitivity of less than 1mv. not Passive Pre. The CDP needs at least a 2V output as well for the match of all times.  :drool:
   Mike really not sure which combo you heard. I believe both were used.

charles
SMA

« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 05:35:49 PM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #51 on: September 13, 2011, 06:01:10 PM »
Hi Guys

I had a NAKSA 70 in my system for quite a while and was lucky enough to hear the NAKSA 100 a couple of days ago.

With the Lenehans it sounds pretty darn good - a number of people here in Aus use that combination.  To my ears it most certainly does not sound SS, but not like valves either.  I describe it as sounding like digital - but digital done right - ie without the glare and other issues you sometimes get with it.

That's probably because Hugh uses a very unconventional topology containing both a standard Transistor and Fet in the output stage.  I have demoed the amp to a number of people at some gatherings etc and virtually everyone likes it - although a couple say they preferred more obviously SS stuff like Emotiva because it does have a very relaxing non SS sound some say sounds not quite right - although I personally can't detect the not quite right thing.  I suspect its the same as some don't like valves.

Overall IMHO having compared the NAKSA to a number of different amps such as a Leben and Patek I would say first I find the 100W version better and personally would get that over the 70W version.  Secondly it is a generalist amp having extremely good bass grip, but not the very best out there, having a very good midrange, but not the best out there, having reasonable speed, but again not the best out there, it also has a very relaxing non fatiguing sound you can listen to for many hours and enjoy.  It is this being close to the best out there in so many areas that makes the NAKSA special IMHO - it is the best generalist amp I know.

Thanks
Bill

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #52 on: September 15, 2011, 03:17:46 PM »

............This is the second straight year I have missed Jim's rave...I am a bad raver.

So did I, mun! as I get ready to head home (now in Beijing).  My last chore today is to hunt down some Chinese audiophile? :roll: CDs.  You know, it's a rarity now, those CDs.  There's only 1 shop in NYC Chinatown that sells them.  Here in Beijing, not many such shops either,tho local ones still sell them, but they mostly sell duped ones, and few audiophile ones.  Well, there are those audiophile "auto" CDs now though, perhaps in vogue.  I do have a couple of addresses I learned from last time (didn't get around to visit), which I will try to hit today.  See you sooooooon! :rofl:
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 03:21:03 PM by goldlizsts »

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #53 on: September 15, 2011, 04:32:06 PM »
shek,
Bring back some Chinese wine!!

Offline goldlizsts

• Let Music Pass!
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2011, 02:05:54 AM »
shek,

Tooo late pal.  I am set to leave early tomorrow morning.  It did cross my mind though, but.... We actually passed an area and the tour guide (local guide) mentioned that the grapes from that are rivals that of the French.  So, perhaps it's just time when the Chinese will have competitive wines as good as the Frenchies?  7-8 yeras ago, I was on the Yangtze cruise, and at the table, someone from San Fran did buy a bottle of Great Wall (which seems to be THE brand I saw around here) and shared it with the table.  I had a little, but.... not being a coinisseur, I couldn't critique it.  Besides, old age has caught up, and I have forgotten that taste..... Chinese cars are coming statside soon, so wine should be along soon.

Today was CD shopping, or rather hunting, since China is famous for dupes, and therefore it'd be hard to find a place that sells good quality ones.  I had some leads, but some ran empty (out of business, sham kind of a place.....).  I did buy several at the store next to the hotel I stayed last Sept. (I remembered that!).  Then, I went to the "publisher" listed at the back of a CD I got in Chinatown.  You know what, the place is delapidated, the store closed, and the office was behind, but the guy I caught had no idea what I was after.  Then, I was told about a book store, a biggie, like a Barnes & Noble magastore.  Tons of CDs, good ones, bad ones.  I picked up several more.  There are audiophile original ones, like DGG, Decca... but.... they are more $$ than I'd pay in NYC (about $20 each).  I didn't pick up any, like DG SACDs, 4Ds.....originals really.

See you later!  Will be on an early flight home tomorrow.  Trying to relax aftger the shopping hike. 

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2011, 06:47:43 AM »
shek,

So, perhaps it's just time when the Chinese will have competitive wines as good as the Frenchies? 

Soon at a Wallmart near you - a Chinese wine rated 93 by wine spectator on sale for $6.99 a liter, or $10.99 at Costco for the big gallon jug.

Can't wait!  :wtf:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.