Author Topic: Rave March 4th at Devore Fidelity MonkeyHaus  (Read 46878 times)

evan1

Rave March 4th at Devore Fidelity MonkeyHaus
« on: February 24, 2011, 12:41:46 PM »
Guys sorry for the short notice. John only contacted me today. Also posted on our Yahoo news group

http://www.monkeyhaus.net/

630 pm start , sorry I did not choose the date. It is a Friday

It will be a blast. I expect all to attend :thumb:

from evan kessler included below]

Guys sorry for the short notice but this is what we have all been waiting for. March 4th 2011-DeVore Fidelity NY RAVE at the MONKEYHAUS

http://www.monkeyhaus.net/

Best
Evan

----- Original Message -----
To: hauskeeper@monkeyhaus.net
Sent: Thursday, February 24, 2011 12:57 PM
Subject: March Forth Monkeyhaus

Er--fourth that is...

There's nothing like restrictions to open the floodgates of creativity, and so for the next Monkeyhaus I offer this one:

Soundtracks

Bring your vinyl as always, but the evening's playlist will be limited to soundtrack music. This is not quite as restrictive as it may sound at first blush. It includes, as you would expect, anything off of a soundtrack album, so any track from Ellington's Anatomy Of A Murder is fine for example. It also includes any song prominently featured in a movie, so M.I.A.s Paper Planes is fair game because of it's prominent inclusion in Slumdog Millionaire. And any cover of a prominent movie song is allowed as well, so Gene Simmons singing When You Wish Upon A Star (from Pinocchio) is acceptable (and awesome!). Some TV is okay too, on a case-by-case basis. Originals or covers of the Hawaii 5-O theme are enormously encouraged, a Justin Bieber song that played on Gossip Girl will be roundly ridiculed.

So there you have it.

Oh--and to get things started, I'm going to show Blade Runner on the Monkeyhaus projector from 6:30-8:30pm so plan your arrival around seeing or missing it. If you're not interested in the movie and you show up before 8:30 it will be dark and lonely.

The details then: Next Friday, March 4th, 6-6:30pm for the screening, 8:30 or later for the music-only portion. Directions below.

Cheers,
The Hauskeeper

Directions:

It's in the Brooklyn Navy Yard, and if you’re cabbing it the easiest gate to enter is at Flushing Ave. and Cumberland St. (gate number 2 on the map.) The approximate address of the gate is 63 Flushing Ave. Go in and ask for building 280 (it's right there) and come up to the 5th floor, suite 510. If it’s after 7pm, or a weekend, the Cumberland gate will be closed to cars and you’ll have to drive to Flushing and Clinton, a few blocks up Flushing towards Williamsburg (gate number 3 on the map.)

Closest train is the F at York St. Get out of the station and head left, walk under the overpass and take a left on Sands (first light). Head down Sands until you can't head down Sands anymore. You'll be standing at the intersection of Sands and Navy, right at an entrance gate to the Brooklyn Navy Yard (gate number 1 on the map.) If you’re standing there before 7pm on a weekday it’ll be open, go in and ask for directions to DeVore Fidelity in building 280. Come up the 5th floor, suite 510.

If it’s after 7pm, or a weekend, take a right here (on Navy St) and take your first left. This is Flushing Ave (and also Nassau, it changes names at Navy). To your left on this street will be the old Navy Yard, the first gate you reach on your left will be the correct one, at Cumberland (gate number 2 on the map.) Give me a call (718) 855-9999 from the pedestrian turnstyle and I’ll come down and let you in.

If you're driving and approaching on the BQE Westbound (from Queens) take exit 31 (Kent & Wythe Aves) which is marked with a very small Brooklyn Navy Yard sign. Follow the exit through two lights (the second is Kent, I can't for the life of me remember the first) and hang a right at the third which is Flushing Ave. To your right will be the Navy Yard and the first gate you'll see is for the movie studio and is thus useless to us for this discussion. The second light will be the Clinton gate (gate 3 on map). Enter here if it's after 7pm, otherwise continue on Flushing through two or three more lights to the next gate at Cumberland Street. Go in, unless it's after 7pm, in which case pay more attention and go back to the previous sentence.

For those driving from Manhattan, take the Manhattan Bridge and follow Flatbush straight to the first left you can make. This is Myrtle. Ignore all the warnings you've heard about Myrtle and take the left. Continue for two or three blocks to a light where to your right is Ashland Place and to your left is Navy Street. Take a left on to Navy. Enjoy the Gran Prix style curve here and continue under the Manhattan Bridge Overpass (the MBO in DUMBO). At the fourth light (they are all very close to one-another) to your left will be Nassau and to your right will be Flushing Ave. You'll also notice a handball court to your right and a school to your left. Take a right onto Flushing Ave. On your left will be a part of the Navy Yard called Admiral's Row, note if you wish the romantic and ruined victorian houses. The first gate you will reach on your left will be gate 2, at Cumberland Street. Take this unless it is after 7pm, in which case you'll have to continue a few more blocks to the next gate, number 3, at Clinton.

Offline Barry (NJ)

Re: Rave March 4th at Devore Fidelity MonkeyHaus
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 12:55:24 PM »
A map, for those so inclined to look at those things ;)...

[smg id=712]
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 01:01:41 PM »
Thanks for arranging this Evan!

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 01:04:00 PM »
Thanks evan!

I am looking forward to this!

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 01:05:11 PM »
Sadly, I can't make 4th. Sounds like it will be a blast.

evan1

« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 01:13:19 PM »
Sadly, I can't make 4th. Sounds like it will be a blast.

Sorry Rich. He only contacted me today and I thought he would give us more time. I'll send you a pic of Chris with the Orangutan's :thumb:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 01:20:53 PM »
Sorry Rich. He only contacted me today and I thought he would give us more time. I'll send you a pic of Chris with the Orangutan's :thumb:

No problem at all Evan. I have a fun weekend planned with a speaker audition and go kart races. :D  I'm more looking forward to hanging with you guys more than any particular system. Maybe at Mike's vinyltubesandtrannysfest :)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 02:34:14 PM »
Which version of 'Blade Runner'.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 02:37:56 PM »

It figures

Offline Barry (NJ)

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 02:41:23 PM »

It figures

Good question! Also is it Blu-Ray or DVD?

evan1

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 02:47:57 PM »

It figures

Good question! Also is it Blu-Ray or DVD?

Both of you
Stay home and watch the Blu-ray version , its cheaper :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 03:10:55 PM »
God Evan! You're so uninformed!!!! :rofl:

This is tough, 2 huge drives, Brooklyn Navy Yard followed by Endicott NY, I may only be able to make one, and I've been to Endicott.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

evan1

« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2011, 03:14:55 PM »
God Evan! You're so uninformed!!!! :rofl:

This is tough, 2 huge drives, Brooklyn Navy Yard followed by Endicott NY, I may only be able to make one, and I've been to Endicott.

We can hit Williamsburg afterwards. Tons of hot babes from the midwest :rofl:

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:07:34 PM »
Ugh, been there once, would only return in a coffin. :(

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:52:02 PM »

No problem at all Evan. I have a fun weekend planned with a speaker audition and go kart races. :D  I'm more looking forward to hanging with you guys more than any particular system. Maybe at Mike's vinyltubesandtrannysfest :)

Rich,

Are you just going to watch the go kart races or are your kids running in them. I was reading an article about kids kart racing not so long ago and it sound like it can get really competitive, not to mention lots of fun.  :D

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables