Author Topic: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23  (Read 52577 times)

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23
« on: September 21, 2010, 04:05:35 PM »
I'd like to invite the Ravers over on Oct-23. As many know, I have hosted the last 3 October raves, and it has rained, often torrentially, for each one!  Topround has guaranteed good weather, so at least we have that going for us (yes, a Caddyshack reference).
The ground rules: Start ~ 1 PM, end when it ends. Now that that's taken care of...

System 1: Main 2-channel rig. I had hoped to have some Von Schweikert VR-33s here for the rave, but the money fairies had other ideas. I did make a huge improvement to the sound of the room, however you can't see it. I added 3/4" plywood over a layer of green glue (Thanks Bryan) and under new carpeting. Each piece of plywood is separated from the adjacent pieces by the width of one CD (guess how I managed that) and screwed down mightily. The change in SQ is nothing short of dramatic. (Floor is suspended and heavily braced from below).

Anyway,  Logitech Touch, EE DAC, Rotel 1072 CDP (might borrow a Krell SACD Std from my brother), VAC Std MKII pre and Tommy's latest and greatest (literally, the most recent and what he says in the finest piece he has ever built) Cherry Plus amp that we heard at Jim's in Sep.,  Von Sch VR4JR MKIs, ProJect Perspective Carbon TT.
If someone wants to bring some powercords, balanced or unbalanced cables or even speaker cables (8') (Hmmm, I wonder if any Raver is in the PC or SC business) we could swap around no problem. Or a digital cable. Or DAC. Etc. 

Evan, maybe the Aethers will be here by then (not holding breath) and could come visit?

System 2: TV system. You guys haven't seen this yet, but I got a 58" plasma, Marantz 5004 receiver and Playstation, so I'd like to spend some time checking out people's Blu-Ray concert vids. (I have only 3). Same B&W in-walls as before. Borrowing my buddy Dewesh's 15" Rhythmik sub (and he actually thinks he's getting it back, HA)
In the past, we have set up systems in this room completely separate from the HT system, so whatever people want to bring we can throw together. I have a Forte preamp that can anchor whatever. If we do nothing but video that's fine too.

My brother Dave's store: Has moved to Clinton, NJ, about 1/2 mile off of Rt 78, Exit 15 so right on the way for you New Yorkers. If anyone wants to stop by on the way let me know and I'll post directions - very easy to get to. He's trying to steal the Oct rave from me but I told him he has to get his own!

I'll put directions on the Yahoo group in a bit. Hunterdon County, NJ, exits 11 or 12, Rt 78

(Sharen shouts from the kitchen "RSVPs appreciated!")

Oh, still 2 dogs and 2 cats.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
Re: October Rave on the 23d; Rain date: Oct-23
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 05:00:11 PM »
I'll be there. I might bring a homemade pair of Ic's if I can get some good rca connectors that work well with this type of cable.

If you ned any dogs or salads , let me know, my pleasure of course.

Leave the umbrella at home but bring a windbreaker because it is going to be a beautiful fall day with no rain :thumb:

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 05:43:13 PM »
Topround has guaranteed good weather, so at least we have that going for us (yes, a Caddyshack reference).

Everyone bring your 1 Iron, just in case!  :rofl:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 08:17:40 PM »
Topround has guaranteed good weather....

He must of checked the Magic 8 Ball..... :rofl:

See you on the 23rd. .....thanks Mike !! :thumb:

AcidJazz

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:16:12 PM »
Dayem...I'm gonna miss this year's gathering in the forest again...you keep picking the same weekend of the Record Fair... :(
I'm like a junkie...got to get my annual music fix.  :lol:
I'll have to read about the rave , and look at the pretty pixies...will miss the pie.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:32:31 PM »
Dayem...I'm gonna miss this year's gathering in the forest again...you keep picking the same weekend of the Record Fair... :(
I'll have to read about the rave , and look at the pretty pixies...will miss the pie.

Why can't you go just Friday and Sunday to the Record Fair ?  :?

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 11:10:12 PM »

Record Fair? Details please  [-o<
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 11:22:48 PM »

Record Fair? Details please  [-o<

http://wfmu.org/recfair/

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 02:44:35 AM »
Martin,
 You must go on Friday to get all the good records before the collectors buy it all up :thumb:
Ever see those guys flip thru records?  Amazing,
I saw one guy flip thru 2 stacks of records at the same time, he could flip thru 4 records per second and pull out like a machine all the good ones. Amazing...like a  machine some of those people.

Mike
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

AcidJazz

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2010, 07:50:17 PM »
Yeah Mike, those guys are like seasoned record hunters...there was also a guy flipping through the $1. cd boxes and scanning the bar codes with a handheld device  :shock: He said it contained a database of albums with a sliding scale of their worth.

CHris, cuz, I will always wonder what I missed, since the radio station table is constantly rotating in new crates of cd...full of goodies..  :lol:

lonewolfny42

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2010, 09:33:53 PM »
I'm going to try and go Sunday to the Record Fair....I hope. :?

Offline mfsoa

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2010, 11:17:41 AM »
Does anyone have an Uberbuss that likes to travel?  I'd love to hear one in my system without having to pay and then be forced to keep it because it sounds too good!

It'd be interesting to hear the effect on the Cherry Plus w/ its 1800 watt torroid.

-Mike

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2010, 11:27:12 AM »
I'd love to hear one in my system without having to pay and then be forced to keep it because it sounds too good!
:rofl:   I can relate to that sentiment...

Offline dnemzer

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2010, 04:12:16 PM »
looks good for me

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2010, 06:00:09 PM »
Mike,

Will be attending.  Let me know you would like me to bring anything.

Thanks