Author Topic: TOSLINK?  (Read 7325 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: TOSLINK?
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 07:01:43 AM »
Hi there professor

I'm in need of your help again. I'm trying to find a Toslink cable different from the Deluxe plastic toslink cable from Monoprice and the Glass Toslink cable from Unique. I stumbled upon this link trying to search the archives for some ideas. I clicked on the links you provided and they are now defunct.

I did some searching and found more Choseal Toslink cables.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Delectronics&field-keywords=choseal+toslink&rh=n%3A172282%2Ck%3Achoseal+toslink

Which ones do you recommend or are similar to cables you recommended previously? If anyone has any other Toslink cable recommendations I'm open to them. If you have any for sale please let me know too.

I'm hoping to use my Oppo BDP-83SE as a transport to a external DAC. I can't use the Digital Coax because I'm using it now to feed another DAC. Also I don't want to use a Toslink to digital coax converter that requires power.

Thanks in advance.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:59:02 AM »
http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/digital-audio/index.htm
This is what I would try.

I never used any of those TOSLINK cables, I only linked the story because it is unexpected. Usually TOSLINK is inferior to copper coax SPDIF because it has an added conversion to and from optical. Maybe the copper SPDIF circuit in those Logitech devices is compromised somehow, allowing TOLSINK to sound superior. I don't know.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 11:59:56 AM »
I agree. The glass Toslinks are better than standard plastic, but generally inferior to a coax connection.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline sleepyguy24

« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2013, 09:20:29 AM »
Thanks you all for the help gents. I'm going to try the glass toslink and then think about using that toslink to digital coax converter like this one.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2013, 12:35:24 PM »
Let me know how the TOSLINK sounds I am thinking of going that route but wasn't sure how it stacked up against coax.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

AcidJazz

« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2013, 09:43:40 PM »
My 2 cents...glass TOSlink sounds just as good as coax, or even better, with the glass TOS having a cleaner 'neutral' sound vs coax which can sound anywhere from warm/denser to 'neutral' depending on the brand.

This is one for trial in your system to come to your own personal conclusion.  :thumb:

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2013, 11:00:23 AM »
OK Im ignorant on this but I thought all Toslink was glass.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2013, 12:37:31 PM »
They also use acrylic (aka plexiglass, aka polyacrylonitrile.) It is higher transparency than glass, and more flexible, durable and cheaper.   

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2013, 01:39:22 PM »
I have found Toslink cables made from fused silica sound better than the plastic version.
Scotty

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 07:18:27 PM »
They also use acrylic (aka plexiglass, aka polyacrylonitrile.) It is higher transparency than glass, and more flexible, durable and cheaper.   

Ok so thats the opposite of what I would expect. Glad I'm becoming educated! :-P

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2013, 12:32:15 PM »
Here is a link to an excellent primer on fiber optics and fiber cable characteristics. http://www.multidyne.com/pdf-new/NAB_Handbook-Fiber_Optic_Transmission_Systems.pdf
Scotty