I will also throw my modded McCormack DNA .5 "near-Rev A" (which is now called the "Gold" package) SS amp onto the list to see if I can generate any interest.
This amp started it's life as a DNA .5 deluxe, and has had most of the upgrades standard in the McCormack "Silver" upgrade and a significant number of the "Gold" mods as well:
- SMc circuit revision with high performance NP Muse Capacitors
- standard upgrade of the driver board
- standard upgrade of the output boards (includes wiring and a select group of high performance components)
- Cardas RCA jacks GRFA
- Cardas Binding Posts, model CCGR-S or CCBP-S
- Soft Recover Diode Bridge Package
- Rebiasing (per Steve's express instructions)
- Full upgrade of the output board components to Nichicon Gold caps, with KZ and Relcap bypass
The amp was voiced with the help of Bob Crump (God rest his soul), who also voiced the Parasound JC-1 amp for John Curl. The Nichicon Gold caps are used throughout both the DNA .5 and the JC-1. Bob Crump used RelCap RT caps and Nichicon KZ caps as bypasses on the JC-1 instead of BlackGates, because of the propensity of BlackGates to lose their forming/break-in if not constantly played. I also followed Bob's voicing trick to good effect on this amp.
It is smooth and extended with a wonderful presence, free of grit and grain. It gets to the soul of the music. 100W into 8 ohms, 200 into 4 ohms and 500 into 2 ohms - this amp can drive most speaker loads with sufficient power and finesse.
Many ravers have heard this amp in my system and can give you their impression as well. I'm parting with this because I upgraded to the DNA 500, and I have to say that the family sound is very much present in both of these amps. In fact, I'm not sure I got a whole lot of "improvement" in the sound going from the .5 to the 500 - it is that good!
I would be asking $1000 on Audiogon, but am willing to let it go here to a fellow AN'er for $900 plus shipping and PayPal fees a Rev B just sold on Audiogon for $875). Original box and materials. PM for pictures (until I can take some and post them here
Thanks for looking,