Author Topic: Sonos Music System  (Read 16758 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Sonos Music System
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2014, 02:20:45 PM »
Sorry to hear of the Sonos problem. That is very disappointing as I was going to dump my SB 2.... with all it's glitches...for a Sonos. As I have your old Buff dac, I guess I'd have the same problem. However, the last thing I need is another jitter/reclocker box. Oh well, pls keep us posted on all this
Thx,
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2014, 03:33:28 PM »
I agree. That stinks that another jitter reducer/re-clocker is needed to be used with the Sonos. Another digital coax cable, power cord etc. to consider a long with your current gear.

What is a current jitter reducer/re-clocker that can be used with the Sonos and Buffalo DAC to help with the sound? The only things for me that come to mind or the older Audio Alchemy DTI (Digital Transmission Interface) or the Monarchy Audio DIP. These pieces of gear are old and am wondering if they will work with newer gear. I remember one time having issues with my Oppo as a transport sending data to an Audio Alchemy DTI V2 going to a Schiit BiFrost Uber DAC.

Thanks

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2014, 06:05:32 PM »
I was thinking about this one
http://www.empiricalaudio.com/products/synchro-mesh

But Sonos + Synchro + NAS ~ $1.5k, there's lots of options available for that money.

$500 will buy a Udoo or Alix machine and drive, or old PC, and a m2tech hiFace2 async USB/SPDIF interface. Linux Debian Mint ALSA MPD or upcoming linux JRiver. AudiophileLinux also looks intriguing for Linux noob like me. Lots of work though, learning curve is gonna hurt.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2014, 06:35:59 PM by richidoo »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2014, 09:49:07 AM »
If anyone knows of a Sonos mod, pls let me know. Wyred has a mod for $550, but I am hesitant and don't know very much about them.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2014, 11:45:47 AM »
I have to say that I'm still a big Squeezebox fan.  Despite Logitech bailing on it, LMS (the server software) is still getting a good bit of attention and development.  Better yet, there's a lot of dev effort going on for a Wandboard-based squeezebox replacement. 

You can find a lot of info (too much ;-) on the old forums.slimdevices.com forum that is still quite active. 

You can also find a good bit of info about the new 'CommunitySqueeze' efforts at communitysqueeze.org

Given that LMS is free and you can effectively run a squeezebox from any computer or phone (the iPeng app for iPhone is awesome), then this has to be one of the best deals going.

Interesting stuff going on out there... 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2014, 03:47:25 PM »
SB are known to have lower jitter on the digi output than Sonos. Audiophiles rave about SB sound, whereas not many Sonos raves about the sound. I went for Sonos because it didn't require a separate server like SB.  But I would have stayed with Duet if it was fully baked on release.  Good to know dev is continuing.

I just found a little fanless ARM server called Cubox that will run VoyageMPD linux music server. 8 cu. inches! The box costs $60, the software is free. Ethernet in, USB out. It even has a toslink output. Tempting!
http://cubox-i.com/
http://mubox.voyage.hk/

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2014, 02:45:45 PM »
I have to say that I'm still a big Squeezebox fan.  Despite Logitech bailing on it, LMS (the server software) is still getting a good bit of attention and development.  Better yet, there's a lot of dev effort going on for a Wandboard-based squeezebox replacement. 

You can find a lot of info (too much ;-) on the old forums.slimdevices.com forum that is still quite active. 

You can also find a good bit of info about the new 'CommunitySqueeze' efforts at communitysqueeze.org

Given that LMS is free and you can effectively run a squeezebox from any computer or phone (the iPeng app for iPhone is awesome), then this has to be one of the best deals going.

Interesting stuff going on out there... 

I've tried to understand this, but....I'm hoping you can really simplify it for me. I have an SB2 that uses a digital out (RCA) to a dac. All my music (300G) is stored on a computer and streamed wirelessly. I bought the iPeng app (which is great) for my wife's old iPad and am starting to use that.

Are you saying that the Wandboard can take the place of my SB 2 and that it has a digital out to the dac? IF that is true, then I would need to get an enclosure for the board, a ps for the Wandboard and load the Squeeze software (firmware?) onto the Wandboard? IF that all works, I could move my music off the computer (where I don't like it) and put it on an external drive.
Thanks,
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2014, 07:42:23 AM »
The wandboard solution is still very early beta so it may still be months or a year more before that is a real solution.  My understanding is that it will be available as a DIY solution or as a fully packaged solution.  It will not have it's own display as a Squeezebox does but can certainly be accessed by a phone app or LMS directly.  It will have digital out but is also touted to have a very, very good integrated DAC as well.   My understanding is that it can also be the music server (as the Squeezebox Touch tried to be) but with more than sufficient computing power to do it well.

Now, with all that said, I see the the communitysqueeze.org link is no longer working.  Likely there is a thread in forums.slimdevices.com about it.  Take a look here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested
« Last Edit: May 23, 2014, 07:59:06 AM by mdconnelly »

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2014, 12:50:21 PM »
The wandboard solution is still very early beta so it may still be months or a year more before that is a real solution.  My understanding is that it will be available as a DIY solution or as a fully packaged solution.  It will not have it's own display as a Squeezebox does but can certainly be accessed by a phone app or LMS directly.  It will have digital out but is also touted to have a very, very good integrated DAC as well.   My understanding is that it can also be the music server (as the Squeezebox Touch tried to be) but with more than sufficient computing power to do it well.

Now, with all that said, I see the the communitysqueeze.org link is no longer working.  Likely there is a thread in forums.slimdevices.com about it.  Take a look here:

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested

Thanks for the update. At least it's a possibility at some point. Just did some reading on the Auralic Aries Streamer Bridge which may be released in June. Have you...or anyone else...heard about it? It seems to have the potential to function like my SB2
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 05:47:46 AM »
Well, as much promise as the Community Squeeze project held, it seems to be currently on hold (or dead) as legal issues are tended to.  I haven't a clue what the issues are, where it stands or if it has a future.  How sad indeed.

With that said, my Squeezebox system continues to work flawlessly and LMS continues to get bug-fixes and minor improvements, so I'm set for the foreseeable future. 

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 09:50:59 AM »
Well, nothing is ever easy  :roll:  I hope they can resolve those issues. I'm glad it works for you. My SB 2 has been working for a while, but I continue to immensely dislike the thing....way too many problems in the past for me to ever impart forgiveness. I did find a thread over at AC about the Auralic Aries Streamer Bridge. If I understand it's functioning, it could well be exactly all that I need and the price...$1,000... would be reasonable. 
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2014, 02:58:17 PM »
Nick, were your headaches with the SB2 itself, or with whatever version of LMS/SqueezeCenter you were running?   The current 7.8 version of LMS is quite solid.  But I will admit that I'm running my primary Squeezebox Touch via hardwired ethernet because wireless would occasionally stutter, particularly with hi-rez material, which was extremely frustrating.  No so with hardwired ethernet.

No doubt that the Auralic Aries sounds way cool... looking forward to hearing more about that.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2014, 10:40:36 PM »
Mike, I've had the SB2 since 2007 or so and I've had various problems with it...crashes, firmware issues etc. I ended up moving my music from my desktop to my laptop and then it stopped working. Tried everything including Logitech tech support and Kaspersky (anti-virus) tech support. Finally hired a local Microsoft tech who worked on it for over 2 hours and I had a program that conflicted with it when booting up and blocked it from operating. That was the worst, but cumulatively, the SB 2 has been a PITA. I will say that I've never had a problem running it wireless.

Ideally, I'd like a situation where my music is ready to go and I just grab my iPad and run something like iPeng. Maybe that would include a NAS, but I'm not up on.. nor understand... some of the tech stuff. Don't want to run a USB computer based system, just a simple system using a dac. My wife hates what I currently have. She liked grabbing a CD and putting it in a player and listening. I regret getting rid of my CD player. The SB2 has been been reliable for a while, but I'd just like something simpler that operates like a Sonos. but without the jitter issues.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2014, 06:48:32 AM »
Nick, sorry to hear about all the headaches you've had.  I've been using various squeezeboxen since about 2007 as well and there were many times along the way I was ready to give up on it for similar reasons as yours.   But what I have now works soooo well.   The real test is that my wife can crank up tunes in the kitchen via ipeng on her iphone or ipad and it all just works.  While it all works extremely well for me & my family,  I doubt I would recommend it to anyone at this time for obvious reasons... its future is unknown and sooner or later support may stop.  Like Sonos, Auralic and others, new solutions are bound to arrive that will ultimately be better, more intuitive, more stable than the Squeezebox technology. 

But damn, Slimdevices was so far ahead ahead of its time.  The first product, SliMP3, was released on 2001.  The SB2 in the spring of 2005 and SB3 just 6 months later.  But then along came Logitech in 2006.  Sadly, they never really understood how to market and support these products and ultimately gave up on it the summer of 2012.   It has actually been quite amazing to see the continued community support over the last 2 years.  Prices on a used Touch on ebay still exceeds the original pricing.   I think many fans had high confidence in the Community Squeeze effort - but who knows if that will continue through product.   

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2014, 04:40:45 AM »
I don't see any competitors in this space besides Sonos. So it makes sense the value is high for Squeeze equipment. If I wanted to change now, what else is there besides Sonos?
I really enjoy listening to music.