Author Topic: Revel's  (Read 26286 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Revel's
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2011, 11:03:41 AM »
Yes, sorry - Lynbrook , not Lyndenhurst.

Yes, F52's not F50's, although he had a pair of F50's in the shop for sale. They looked just like the ones on Audigon and were about the same price.

After coming home and listening to my own speakers I would have to say that all the Revels have a very articulate, detailed, extended and fine sounding top end. Definitely more nuance than what I get at home and a better sound than I was expecting from a metal tweeter (they have gotten better over the years).  The berillium tweeter in the Ultima's especially. Not fatiguiging from what I heard, and there is an adjustment on all of these to turn them up or down a wee bit to suite your ear.

However the bottom end, althought tight ant tuneful, did not do much to warm up the speaker or make it anywhere near "romantic". None of them went down that last octave and the sound, although punchy and balanced was not what I would call big and powerful. A sub would definitely help there a bit, but I would still be missing that weight from 100-400 hz.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 11:44:24 AM by BobM »
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2011, 11:24:43 AM »
Definitely needs a sub... Not romantic, but not clinical either.
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
I was in the area and stopped in there about three months ago. I don't think I had set foot in that store for about 15 years and it hadn't changed a bit. You can say what you want about them, but they must be doing something right because they are one of the few brick and mortor high end audio shops left in the Long Island/NYC area.

Doing something right for sure. He was extremely accommodating and courteous.  One of the better demos i have had a chance to hear.
unfortunately, 7K for new speakers is out of the question but like Bob said, he did have F50s at a reasonable price
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2011, 01:53:24 PM »
I was there once too.  He likes to switch things around and not tell you exactly what you're listening too.  I also found that he doesn't give much of a break on prices.

So you think it wasnt an honest mistake?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

drews_hifi

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2011, 02:24:21 PM »
I'm the last of yesterday's attendees to respond.

The Revel F52s drew me in totally on some of Bob's jazz selections, and on Mike's grateful dead cut.  On my test track from Natalie Merchant's Ophelia, the F52s completely missed the bottom 2 octaves.  I'd guess that the little woofers start rolling off below maybe 80- 100Hz.  I thought the bass overall may have been a bit more full than I prefer, but not sure, and its an unfamiliar room and equipment.  From the midbass up I thought they were really excellent, with solid imaging, fast transients, really clean treble.  I would have like to have heard them with my favorite electronics, and with a subwoofer added on.  In other words, in my den.

The Studio's were more refined and had more midbass drive.  For a large expensive spker, bottom end extension was disappointing.  While better than the F52s, I still could not hear even a hint of the risers under the kick drum (I think thats what makes those super low sounds) on the Natalie Merchant CD, and these sounds are what make certain of my favorite albums so interesting.  I'd say the Studios go down to about 50Hz, which is not bad, but at this price point I expected more.  So many new expensive speakers dont even try for the bottom octave- its the new style I guess.

The bait and switch style of the demo was an interesting sales strategy- let them think they're listening to the real high priced stuff, and impress the hell out of them, maybe get a sale of the less expensive speakers.  And I was very impressed with the F52s.

I give American Audiophile tremendous credit for staying in business.  30yrs ago, there were dozens of stores on LI with hi end equipment.  Now we're down to only a few.  The sales guy (I am bad with names) was polite, interested and in love with music, all pluses. He was hoping to make a sale and we stayed for about an hour (no one else entered the store during that time).  I wish them all the best, and hope they stay in business another 20yrs.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2011, 02:35:01 PM »
My buddy has the top of the line Revels and he loved them using Mark Levinson gear.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2011, 03:10:05 PM »
LK, Revel and ML are sister Harmon companies, and I agree there was excellent synergy between the Salon2 and the new ML 532 amp. But the ref 53 amp (class D) is less enjoyable, despite double the price. The nice thing about the mid pack Revel speakers is that they benefit from the same great engineering, parts bin, listening labs and voicing as the top models.

I heard te Salons a couple times this winter, the bass seemed powerful and clear but a little unnatural, maybe I'm just not used to that much. I was thinking the Studio's would be just about right. Alas, the local dealer is not demoing either long term, was just on loan temporarily. The reflex port is huge, to get a lot out of the small bass drivers.

Andy, what speakers are you used to at home? I have similar concerns about the bass depth and quality on most normal sized speakers. Once I got used to 12" bass drivers the relaxed clear power is hard to duplicate with smaller speakers. Timepieces came close. A port is never as good as big driver.

Mike, still with the Mahis? What pre?

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2011, 03:33:36 PM »
Mahis rock! My pre is a Supratek Sauvignon.
I really enjoyed the F52s. If I had room in my house ;)
I emailed Revel and asked if there might be an F54 around the corner.

I actually thought the F52s were better than the higher end model we heard.
M
Its cool ndude.

drews_hifi

« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2011, 07:25:05 AM »
I am using Martin Logan ReQuest hybrid e-stats with 12 inch woofers, augmented by an M&K 150 sub with two more 12 inch woofers and corner loading.  The main woofers and sub are controlled by dig eq and ss amps; the panels get straight good tube power, no eq.

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #24 on: February 09, 2011, 11:52:49 AM »
Rich,

My buddy is using the Salon 2's with a pair of ML 532 amps and a ML 326S preamp. He really likes the sound as there is great synergy there.

LK, Revel and ML are sister Harmon companies, and I agree there was excellent synergy between the Salon2 and the new ML 532 amp. But the ref 53 amp (class D) is less enjoyable, despite double the price. The nice thing about the mid pack Revel speakers is that they benefit from the same great engineering, parts bin, listening labs and voicing as the top models.

I heard te Salons a couple times this winter, the bass seemed powerful and clear but a little unnatural, maybe I'm just not used to that much. I was thinking the Studio's would be just about right. Alas, the local dealer is not demoing either long term, was just on loan temporarily. The reflex port is huge, to get a lot out of the small bass drivers.

Andy, what speakers are you used to at home? I have similar concerns about the bass depth and quality on most normal sized speakers. Once I got used to 12" bass drivers the relaxed clear power is hard to duplicate with smaller speakers. Timepieces came close. A port is never as good as big driver.

Mike, still with the Mahis? What pre?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #25 on: February 09, 2011, 12:00:11 PM »
That's a very sweet combo. That amp is special....

Offline Lizard_king

• Certifiable
« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2011, 12:37:28 PM »
I concur.

That's a very sweet combo. That amp is special....

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2011, 08:46:38 AM »
    Bob check out the Vandersteen 3A singnature.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2011, 04:57:00 PM »
Trying to find a place to hear the KEF 205/2's or 203/2's but can't locate anything around here.

Also looking for a dealer carrying Reference 3A Grand Veena's.

Those are next on the demo list.

also considering some used Apogee Duetta Signatures, but they don;t come up for sale much, and finding one local (east coast drivable) is also going to be difficult.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2011, 11:05:16 PM »
Trying to find a place to hear the KEF 205/2's or 203/2's but can't locate anything around here.

Also looking for a dealer carrying Reference 3A Grand Veena's.

Those are next on the demo list.

also considering some used Apogee Duetta Signatures, but they don;t come up for sale much, and finding one local (east coast drivable) is also going to be difficult.

Bob,

Do you think you have enough space in your room to get a pair of Apogees far enough away from the back wall to be happy and not have them sitting in your lap? I am just thinking from the perspective of planars in general As I do not have any direct experience with Apogees myself. You might want to chat with Marcus about how far off the back wall the keeps his.

Tom
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables