Author Topic: Revel's  (Read 26309 times)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
Revel's
« on: February 05, 2011, 04:08:12 PM »
Mike, Emil , Andy and I went to American Audiophile in Lyndenhiurst today to listen to som Revel speakers. We sat down and gave (what we thought were) the Revel Studio 2's a listen through a Mystery preamp and a Bryston 4BSST amp. The sound was just not very exciting; no top end sparkle and an anemic bottom. We then switched to a Parasound preamp and things sounded much better indeed. Not a full bottom, but better than before; tight and tuneful, if a bit sterile. We then switched to a YBA integrated and everything gelled. A nice fuller and rounded sound with plenty of musicality.

So we asked if he could then switch to the less expensive Revel F50's so we could see what the extra $$$ bought you with the Ultima series. Well, surprise, we were listening to the F50 's all along. So he switched to the Ultima Studio 2's for us and we tried each amp/preamp combo again. somewhat better extension and bloom and a lower and fuller bottome end for sure. The YBA was still the most musical to my ears. Yes they are more refined, but not magically so over the F50's.

What I came away with is that the F50's are a damn good speaker for half (or less) the price of the Ultima's.

Looking forward to seeing what Andy, Emil and Mike thought.

Bob
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

evan1

Re: Revel's
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2011, 04:17:11 PM »
I thought American Audiophile was in Lynbrook on sunrise Hwy ? Bought my first real receiver there , an NAD 7175

http://americanaudiophilecom.cv.siteprotect.net/
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 04:29:03 PM by evan1 »

eleazar

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
Here you go Emil Revel F 50
« Last Edit: February 05, 2011, 08:04:08 PM by eleazar »

Regg

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2011, 05:16:35 PM »
Did you guys have to park sideways on the dirty, compressed snow drifts in front of the place? :rofl:

I live right around the corner from AA and have not been there in years.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2011, 07:07:00 PM »
I owned a pair of F30's.. at the time I bought them, I couldn't find a better speaker for the money and for my tastes.  I would think a little x-over mod'ing would take them to another level.. I have never heard the F50's... but I would think they'd be pretty good. :) 
Glad to hear that's the case!
-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2011, 07:24:07 PM »
I was there once too.  He likes to switch things around and not tell you exactly what you're listening too.  I also found that he doesn't give much of a break on prices.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2011, 08:34:11 PM »
I was in the area and stopped in there about three months ago. I don't think I had set foot in that store for about 15 years and it hadn't changed a bit. You can say what you want about them, but they must be doing something right because they are one of the few brick and mortor high end audio shops left in the Long Island/NYC area.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

evan1

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2011, 11:44:29 PM »
Did you guys have to park sideways on the dirty, compressed snow drifts in front of the place? :rofl:

Am I talking about the same place

evan1

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2011, 11:45:20 PM »

Am I talking about the same place

checked your info and I guess I am

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2011, 08:18:13 AM »
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline machinehead

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Affordable Web Design & Development
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2011, 08:37:17 AM »
We were actually listening to the F52s. I loved this speaker! Great separation on instruments with an awesomely large sound stage. I thought they were very musical and all the instruments were there and accurately portrayed. I agree with all of Bobs comments and liked the YBA amp. The new Bryston, though more powerful / tight seemed to compartmentalize the sound and pull apart the music. Weird. Listening to the Grateful dead, a soundboard I brought, they sounded live.. Great drum detail. Bobs voice was a little pushed back, but that may have been the mix. The drums, though way more fleshed out, were a little dry sounding. But you became absorbed in the music and I'm sure I could have listened all day. The tweeter seemed really well done on the F52s

Compared to my Merlins, the Merlins are much more romantic(all tube pre and amp)
I have a Bryston Dac but it seems to work well here. The Merlins are a little more fleshy in voices, a little less in drums. I'd say less realistic(Merlins) but more fluid. Though both are very musical. I want to stress the musicality and ease of F52.
Fun!
M
Its cool ndude.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2011, 09:01:57 AM »
Is there a big difference between the F50 and F52?

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »

lonewolfny42

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2011, 09:33:21 AM »
Is there a big difference between the F50 and F52?

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_2/revel-speakers-4-2004.html

http://www.ultimateavmag.com/speakersystems/606revel/

"Look closely at the new designs and you'll spot the most obvious change: a custom-designed, Controlled Acoustic Impedance (C.A.I.) waveguide surrounding the tweeter diaphragm."

Waveguide's...they do matter.... :thumb:

American Audiophile...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2011, 09:36:45 AM by lonewolfny42 »