Author Topic: Speakers you want/need to hear  (Read 31481 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Speakers you want/need to hear
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2011, 09:01:07 AM »
I never cared too much for the Legacy speakers I've heard. They do have a pretty lively presentation and a somewhat looser bottom end than I am used to. Very much a "live" sound and not as nuanced as some. I would categorize them as a speaker for a real musician who is used to a stage/PA kind of sound, not for someone listening to soft jazz or acoustic rock in their livingroom with a glass of wine who wants a mellower presentation perhaps.

VANDERSTEEN 3A SING. TANNOY. ROCKPORT.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2011, 02:16:25 PM »

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 10:51:47 AM »

Harbeths

Anyone experiences here?
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

lonewolfny42

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 11:36:35 AM »

Harbeths

Anyone experiences here?

Three models heard....Super HL5 - Monitor 30 - Monitor 40. (wanna see the photo's... :rofl:)

The Super HL5 was at a Rave...Mike's (West N.J. - mfsoa)....other two at RMAF.

The British sound....warm - relaxed....similar to what you owned in the past (Neat)...but bigger sounding.

I liked the 40's the best.

The guys in N.C. have heard Harbeth...I think I remember them posting. (Shane/HomeTheaterDoctor is a Harbeth dealer).

Go have a listen Emil.... :thumb:

PS.....Low Sensitivity.....you'll need power... 8)
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:03:21 PM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2011, 12:17:44 PM »
Hey Chris

Like my Neats? I lOVED them. Most fun I've ever had was with them and Naim gear.
Didnt do the "audiophile thing" but boy did they boogie!
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

lonewolfny42

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2011, 12:23:23 PM »
Hey Chris

Like my Neats? I lOVED them. Most fun I've ever had was with them and Naim gear.
Didnt do the "audiophile thing" but boy did they boogie!

Harbeth's will do the same for you....smooth mids and highs....what I call warm...easy on the ears.

Their monitors....read a few reviews...then go listen.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2011, 12:28:19 PM »
Midrange is smooth from the plastic cone driver, but treble is nicely extended. Easy to place in the room, maybe because of the thin walled resonant box? Even the smaller ones sound big, controlled, easy to listen to. The Monitor 40.1 is very capable even with audiophile tracks, and with good acoustic treatment it can really rock. The Compact 7 is my favorite, just a perfect balance of bass to treble, the midrange doesn't sound as smoothed out as the larger models, a really sweet bookshelf. I was fortunate to be able to hear each of the current Harbeths at RMAF 07 using same electronics in same room, all compared together on the same tracks. They were in the room directly above Feastrex, right near the stairs, so I was up and down like a yoyo. The Compact 7 sounded very close to the bigger models in terms of scale and presence, and everyone agreed it was an amazing value among the other Harbeths.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2011, 12:41:08 PM »
Emil....

Maybe stop over to Neil's....give the Sonist Concerto 3 floorstander a listen.

http://www.sonist.com/SONIST_PRODUCTS.html#ProdC3

I've heard them a few times...pretty nice...and easy to drive.

Let's see, Goertz Alpha Core air core inductors, Cardas binding posts and inductors, Auricaps and Auric internal wiring, 2" thick solid poplar baffles, these things have got to be the high end bargain of the century. The Sonist Concerto 3 floor standing loudspeakers are the brainchild of Randy Bankert. With an efficiency of 95dB and 8 ohm impedance they are a great match for SETs (I heard them with the deHavilland GM70s). They are a two way design utilizing an 8" paper cone and Fountek JP 3.0 ribbon tweeter set deep in cut outs in the poplar baffle. The cut outs are shaped into waveguides which increase efficiency and control dispersion. They go down to 35Hz (-3dB) and I had to ask several times if I heard the price correctly, $3495/pair. These sounded seriously good and better than anything I've heard at that price.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2011, 12:44:30 PM by lonewolfny42 »

Offline spence

• Seeking Help
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2011, 08:12:50 AM »
I'm using a pair of SP Technology (now Aether Audio) Timepiece speakers as mentioned in a previous post. I have not had the slightest desire for new speakers for 3 years.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2011, 07:03:19 PM »
I should be getting a NIB pair of Silverline Sonatina III in Burl Briarwood in the middle of next month  :drool:
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
http://www.peak-consult.dk/Dragon.htm

I wouldn't want to hear these as I know my pockets would not be able to handle the desire to own them.
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

evan1

« Reply #41 on: February 24, 2011, 12:28:36 AM »
I'm using a pair of SP Technology (now Aether Audio) Timepiece speakers as mentioned in a previous post. I have not had the slightest desire for new speakers for 3 years.

I'm jealous

Offline woofersus

• Certifiable
    • East Street Audio
« Reply #42 on: February 24, 2011, 07:53:12 AM »
I've always thought Aurum Cantus built speakers that look like they sound amazing, (reading the specs doesn't hurt either) but I've never heard any.  I'd very much like to.
Tim Evans
East Street Audio
Onix, Melody, & ACA

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2011, 08:57:49 AM »
Has anyone had experience with Ohm and Mirage speakers. Are they the cheap man's MBL's or just a poor imitation?
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

pmkap

« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
Has anyone had experience with Ohm and Mirage speakers. Are they the cheap man's MBL's or just a poor imitation?

Duevels are the cheap(er) man's MBLs
Their omni compression mid-tweet models $12K+ were outstanding at RMAF '10