Author Topic: RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C  (Read 19089 times)

Black Sand Cable

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« on: March 30, 2007, 02:58:20 PM »
Some of you may know this already but a few months back I ordered a set of HT8's and an HT2C from Al at RAW Acoustics. I ordered every upgrade he offered.

http://www.audiocircle.com/circles/index.php?topic=36422.0

Anyway, I just found out that they are now complete and will be shipping to me first thing on Monday! After I spend some time with them I will post a review but be warned, I'm not a writer and my reviews are short and to the point!  :D This is the first ribbon tweeter system I will have owned so I honestly have no idea what to expect. I bought from RAW for two reasons. First is that Al is a great guy who I have dealt with in the past and also the fact that everyone and anyone who has heard the HT8's has had very positive things to say about them. We will see as my current Monitor Audio Gold Signature stuff is IMO very good in it's own right.

Some things to note to date that I think are worth mentioning. Al from RAW has been in touch me with every step of the way. We had some veneer problems that added to the build time that were outside of his control but he took the time to let me know regardless. If customer service is important in your buying decision, have no fears of Al not being there if you need something. Phone, email whatever, he has been there to answer my questions as the build went along. Hat's off to Al for what has been to date, excellent customer service! If his speakers are half as good as his customer service, I'm a happy camper!

http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__HT8_Speakers,773.html

http://www.rawacoustics.com/item__HT2C_Center_Channel,766.html

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2007, 03:16:04 PM »
They look beautiful! Congrats. There are a few ribbon lovers here, so you are in good company. My Legacys have ribbon only 8k and up. SOunds nice  8)  I'm sure you will love it. If you are a golden ear, which I imagine you are considering your products, you will be notice deficiency in any non ribbon speaker you ever try hear again, even big bucks Be tweeters. They don't project as well in space and on paper, I'm told   :-k , but the sound is more natural and realistic, IMO

Looking forward to your review! I'm not familiar with RAW>
Later
Rich

Mike L

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2007, 07:35:35 PM »
I am interested in your take on these as well.  I recently just finished the Exodus 2641 kit from DIY Cable.  They use the same drivers except for the ribbon tweeter (mine are an Usher soft dome).  

To me the Exodus just aren't very emotionally involving for music playback.  Even though they have very good off-axis response they still sound very small to me in comparison to my Polk Lsi15's.  This is probably due to the MTM upper half of my Polk's.  They don't give that big, relaxed sound that is probably my biggest priority in a speaker and something I am looking to improve.  However, for home theatre they are very good with those extremis drivers, a very clear midrange (would make an awesome center) and have a very black background.  

Just my take.

Mike

Black Sand Cable

HT8's Up Close
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2007, 09:56:50 AM »
Denny from Custom Concepts (www.customconcepts.ca) who did all my cabinets just sent me the first picture I have seen of my completed HT8's.

I'm biased but DAM they look nice if you ask me!  :D

miklorsmith

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2007, 10:03:49 AM »
Smokin'!  Man, waiting for new stuff is a b!tch ain't it?

Black Sand Cable

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2007, 10:06:46 AM »
Quote from: "miklorsmith"
Smokin'!  Man, waiting for new stuff is a b!tch ain't it?

Without a doubt, YES it is!  :D

Black Sand Cable

More Pictures
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2007, 12:56:55 PM »
Both Denny from CC and Al from RAW out did themselves!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2007, 01:48:15 PM »
Jeepers, those just might be the prettiest speakers I have ever seen. The veneer wrapped around the radiused edge is just awesome. They put even those very nice Salks down a notch in furniture appeal. More "of a piece."  I bet with that driver combo they will sound gorgeous too! Now all you need is a big bushy fern to go on top of each and you will have your own little forest the listening room!

I hope you live near NC, some of us are gonna want to hear those!
Rich

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2007, 02:25:06 PM »
He's in Canada... so not too close to us, Rich... :(
I really enjoy listening to music.

RAW

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2007, 02:28:11 PM »
Well finally got aprroved and now a member.

Yes John is going to be a little surprized at the over all quality of the finished HT8's as well as his matching HT2C center channel.

We had the veneer custom sheeted for us as we do for all of our custom orders like John.The veneer takes time to get the finished slices you want layed up on backing.With custom veneers this allows people to order what they want not just a few select veneer options (if it is real wood veneer, not a photo impression product)We use real wood veneers with all the exotics made for us on each order we produce.

Over all John ordered his at the end of January and they are in Freight now as we speak.

miklorsmith

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2007, 02:42:18 PM »
Are there any of these in Seattle?

RAW

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2007, 02:44:48 PM »
Nope, but just 2hrs north come on in for a visit.

miklorsmith

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2007, 02:47:52 PM »
Geez, Surrey, piece of cake!

Will you be at RMAF this year?

RAW

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2007, 03:02:17 PM »
Yes just a drive across the line, 10 minutes from customs.
RMAF
You never know :wink:

Mike L

RAW Acoustics HT8 & HT2C
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2007, 04:17:43 PM »
I would love to hear those as well.  I just completed the Exodus 2641 kit (uses same woofers and mids) and they sound very nice but they just sound too small/short for my tastes.  The MTM upper would have really topped them off IMO.

That is a beautiful veneer, as well as an outstanding job in aligning it so that the grain looks symmetrical and the same.

Mike