Author Topic: SPDIF { Digital} CABLE  (Read 2440 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
SPDIF { Digital} CABLE
« on: September 21, 2018, 09:22:23 AM »
Appears numerous ways to delivering the digital signal from transport to DAC. The rule of 75 Ohms is being challenged by designers. Saying that reflections caused at 75 Ohms is more harmful to signal than at half 37.5 Ohms.
Then there is conductor type. Copper, Silver, Silver coated Copper, Graphene coated copper and lastly Graphite.
In my experience this link is critical to better sound. We have noticed the biggest changes in sonics from one digital cable to another. They all sound different by a big margin.
Now compare SPDIF to Ethernet. If one is lucky to have the Ethernet connection in numerous listening tests the Ethernet came out on top in tonality, harmonics and all else in direct comparison.
So ?? Which SPDIF to use ?? That is the $64K question. LCR compatibility is critical here so one must try numerous cables to find the perfect match. A royal PITA.
We would like to see more DAC's use Ethernet data transmission cable instead. Until then choose your poison carefully.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: SPDIF { Digital} CABLE
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2018, 01:24:54 PM »
Very interesting about the 37.5 ohms. I am curious as to what’s involved from redesigning a cable from 75 to 37.5   Comments welcome
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS