Author Topic: SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s  (Read 13035 times)

Bigfish8

SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s
« on: August 25, 2007, 12:03:06 PM »
Guys:

A month ago yesterday my Timepieces arrived and they immediately replaced the Monitor Audio 9is I had been using.  As I am taking the Timepieces to Rich's tonight I just replaced them with the 9is for the first time since I receiving the SP Techs.  I cannot believe the difference in sound.  The Timepieces just have more of everything (detail, base, soundstage).  Now that I have heard the Timpieces I could no longer live with the 9is as my main speakers.

Ken

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: SP Technology Timepiece 2.1s
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 12:24:43 PM »
I wish more people did this experiment... Put in the new gear, live with it a while, then put back in the old... When I've done it I either had your reaction or... I've said 'ahhhh... there it is... again...' 

Thanks for the update.. looking forward to meeting you today at Rich's.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 06:15:37 PM »
I have heard nothing but great things about the Timepieces. I had the opportunity to listen to the Continiums a year or so ago with the new Belles Reference 350 amp. Quite impressive. I heard Bob upgraded them to sound even better.

Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2007, 01:39:53 PM »
I received my Timepiece 2.1's with Mundorf upgrades yesterday. Have only 4-5 hours on them, but this is one fine speaker. The tweeter is so much more listenable than the Focal titanium inverted dome it replaced.
I always suspected that tweeter was on the harsh side. Cymbals have an accuracy and delicateness I haven't had in my system previously. The mids and lower mids are great. Love the vocals. Reproduction of guitar, woodwinds, piano is exquisite.  The bass obviously rocks, but I don't have much music that delves that deep anyway.
There is no hint of a boxy sound. The soundstage is wide and relatively deep. The 2.1's are not ideally placed. The left one is less than a foot from the sidewall and both are about 2 feet in front of my huge stereo cabinet. I don't know what affect that has acoustically. They are firing straight away and not toed in.
As an aside, my wife didn't care for the aesthetics, but she loved the sound. She has minor hearing impairment recently and had never commented on any of my speakers over the last 11 years.
These 2.1's are monsters and took 2 of us to move and position. Ideally, I'd love a smaller, lighter version (like a mini!) with a dedicated sub. The 2.1's are also a load to drive. I had the volume on the SB 2 at 100 quite a bit.
So, overall, I'm very, very pleased. What a great deal for the money.
Bob has produced a wonderful speaker.   :beer:
I could live with this sound for a long time.

associated equipment
amps           CIA D200's
source         SB 2 with Aberdeen analog mods & Aberdeen power supply
cables          Grovers S graphite I/C's and Straley Reality S/C's
power cords Black Sand Silver Reference MKV on amps and PS
no line conditioning

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

miklorsmith

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2007, 02:32:14 PM »
Word!  I wish there was some schmoe around here that had these suckers, I wanna hear 'em!

WEEZ

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2007, 02:34:54 PM »
Mike, are you going to RMAF? I understand that David Belles will be using SP Tech this year.

WEEZ

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2007, 10:16:39 PM »
A brief followup....
The 2.1's continue to impress. I have 60 or more hours on them, but am not really keeping close tabs. What for? I'm keeping them anyway. I'm still enamored with the treble. So clear and extended and non-fatiguing. What an improvement over my previous speakers. Vocals are rich. These are very dynamic and have a "presence" and "authority", but it is not "in your face". Hope that makes sense. On occasion, I get some boom in the bass, but that is a problem with speaker placement. On my short wish list, the soundstage could be a bit deeper and the midrange a bit warmer, but I do have ss amps and my SB2 could be improved upon.
I'm not a musician and I haven't had tons of gear in my home over the years. But I have been able to take my CD's to many dealers and shows over the years. My current system compares very favorably with some megabuck setups I've heard. I'm extremely pleased with what I have and for the total money invested, it's really a great bargain.
Nick

PS    My wife still thinks they're ugly
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Bigfish8

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2007, 05:11:06 AM »
A brief followup....
The 2.1's continue to impress. I have 60 or more hours on them, but am not really keeping close tabs. What for? I'm keeping them anyway. I'm still enamored with the treble. So clear and extended and non-fatiguing. What an improvement over my previous speakers. Vocals are rich. These are very dynamic and have a "presence" and "authority", but it is not "in your face". Hope that makes sense. On occasion, I get some boom in the bass, but that is a problem with speaker placement. On my short wish list, the soundstage could be a bit deeper and the midrange a bit warmer, but I do have ss amps and my SB2 could be improved upon.
I'm not a musician and I haven't had tons of gear in my home over the years. But I have been able to take my CD's to many dealers and shows over the years. My current system compares very favorably with some megabuck setups I've heard. I'm extremely pleased with what I have and for the total money invested, it's really a great bargain.
Nick

PS    My wife still thinks they're ugly

Nick:

Monday, I tried direct connection of my S3 to the Odyssey Mono Amps for the second time.  I had plenty of volume and while some might prefer the sound I do not.  I don't have the audio verbage to acurately describe the sound differences but with direct connection of the S3 I lose more of everything versus running through the Candela.  The reason I mention this is that I definitely noticed less bass boominess without the Candela. 

I believe or at least suspect room placement and room treatments are very important with the Timepieces because of the low bass they are capable of producing.  While I know these things are very important I have decided to finish obtaining the major tweak pieces for the system before tackling the room rearrangement/treatment issues.  WAF is going to be an issue and I have not wanted to tackle it yet. :duh 

I am glad you are enjoying your speakers.  My WAF is not very high either.  It is my fault because I chose to save money and go with the discontinued studio finish rather than have Bob significantly improve their physical appeal with upgraded finishes.  Live and learn! :rofl:

Ken

« Last Edit: September 19, 2007, 05:46:07 AM by Bigfish8 »

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2007, 09:17:25 AM »
Ken, the lack of bass and inferior sound from SB is due to insufficent current drive. If you are using stock Power supply AND bypassed output stage, there is probably not enough current to drive your hungry Odyssey 11kohm input impedance from the SB alone. Adding the preamp amplifies signal power to drive the amps properly.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2007, 09:31:57 AM »
Yup.  This is the same issue that the Burson seems to correct in the direct to amp configuration.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2007, 10:23:40 AM »
As some of you may have read, SP Tech will not be at RMAF in the Belles room....

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2007, 12:11:21 PM »
I had a look over on AC but I couldn't find any mention of it in the SPTech circle. Not coming at all? Any particulars? I was really looking forward to meeting Bob and hearing the speakers.

WEEZ

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2007, 12:21:52 PM »
page (3) of 'my 2.1's with Mundorf...'

Offline richidoo

« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2007, 02:28:12 PM »
Thanks.