Author Topic: AMG Speaker Anti Resonance Devices  (Read 8700 times)

Offline bhobba

• Obsessively Audiophilic
AMG Speaker Anti Resonance Devices
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:17:27 PM »
Hi Guys

I posted this in the Audio Syndrome section but thought I would do a separate post about it here.

I got a pair of these things called AMG's:
http://www.lenehanaudio.com.au/index.php/products/amg.html

What they do to my ML3's is - well - shocking.  I could go on about it but will instead re-post what a guy I know near where I live posted on the forum here in Aus:

'OK, have just placed the AMG's on my ML-1's

These speakers are full HD3 construction, so very inert, but not to the same level as the newer production with the steel/HDF combo, so I believe.

Playing Icehouse - Man Of Colours and It's clearly better! (pun intended) to my ears, the extra level of vibration control seems to be most evident at higher volumes and during complex passages. In complex passages where things normally got messy especially at higher volume, It's now not, just clear and detailed...

Placing a hand on the side of the speaker I can even notice the reduction in vibration, the little that was evident before is now reduced to near non existent.

Hmm...do I need this?

Yes, these are going on my short list of things to get

Listening to Annie Lennox - Madusa now, and wow! the extra level of detail is very enjoyable, I'm going to find it difficult listening to my system for a short while after these go back, but on the bright side my neighbors will be glad that my preference on volume levels will go down again ...'

It really leaves you scratching you head how they can make such a difference - but they do.  No voodoo physics though - its a weight that rests on springy rubber - physically it's exactly the same as a spring connected to a weight attached to the speakers - the speaker cone goes back the speaker goes forward (Newtons action and reaction) - the weight stays put and the rubber stretches and applies a countering force - very similar to a shock absorber - but the arrangement allows tuning to a specific frequency most suitable for speakers.

Thanks
Bill

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: AMG Speaker Anti Resonance Devices
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 06:35:11 AM »
   Bill I concur with your findings. Using them along with BSG QOL is ?? I will let you comment.
   These AMG Toppers have been tested, measured and are the real deal.
    However there is a new Kid on the block WA Quantum resonance control stick on pads that are getting rave reviews of late.
    Less expensive than AMG so a comparison is warranted. I believe Robin has them and can add some insight.
     We will be debuting the AMG's at the DC Capitol Audiofest using both Soundfield Monitors and the Lenehan S2R and ML-1R speakers using JPS Labs Aluminata cabling.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 07:50:33 AM »
Gotta love tweaks!!

Are the AMGs $660 each or for a pair?   Interesting concept ...

Charles, I saw those Quantum Chips stickers in a Cable Company ad.   We do live in strange yet interesting times... seriously, a sticker that operates at the sub-atomic quantum level?   Hey, I feel strongly that hearing is believing so I'm not questioning whether it works (well, OK, maybe questioning their marketing strategy ;-).   But I am a bit incredulous yet curious on the science behind it.  This alone is probably worth it's own thread!

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 08:03:56 AM »
Gotta love tweaks!!

Are the AMGs $660 each or for a pair?   Interesting concept ...

Charles, I saw those Quantum Chips stickers in a Cable Company ad.   We do live in strange yet interesting times... seriously, a sticker that operates at the sub-atomic quantum level?   Hey, I feel strongly that hearing is believing so I'm not questioning whether it works (well, OK, maybe questioning their marketing strategy ;-).   But I am a bit incredulous yet curious on the science behind it.  This alone is probably worth it's own thread!

List is $660 a pair. Discounts available. Hey I'm game for the WA chips.
    Many Moons ago we experimented using coins as resonant transfer devices. After trying, pennies, dimes and nickels we found quarters to be the most affective.We placed quarters on the wood rails and wood panel [ bottom] of Maggies. To every ones suprise the affect was noticeable with more info present. So if measely Quarters made a difference in resonance control and sonics I'm game for WA Chips and AMR Toppers.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bhobba

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 06:39:19 PM »
Bill I concur with your findings. Using them along with BSG QOL is ?? I will let you comment.

I can indeed comment as I now have both in my system.  It is a synergistic pairing meaning the sum is greater than the parts.  I conjecture its because the BSG mucks around with phase and the AMG's reduce the 'smearing' of phase information.

What I also found is the worse the speaker the greater the gains if you use both.  I think I posted it before but when both were tried on a speaker I judged as rather ordinary it was a quantum jump of a few levels so the speaker was quite good.

Thanks
Bill

TrevorETI

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 07:07:14 PM »
Just posting as myself, and not on behalf of ETI.

But I have to inform people that the design has now been officially bought over to ETI to compliment our current Topper (which uses fractal resonance)

I believe Bhobba is doing a national tour with the prototype model around Australia? which should be interesting as I've only heard them on mike's system and My own. Mike's system being so finely tuned already I noticed very slight differences going from without to with the toppers.

But going the other way and taking them off after listening to them, I was blown away by how much of a difference it made.

And I have a super crappy Pioneer system at home using an LX-70 Flagship home theatre reciever, it's made to have all the bells and whistles of running a home theatre as simply as possible, but it's sound reproduction is terrible. That on top of the fact my speakers leave a lot to be desired (crappy pioneer floor standings), I can't wait till I can buy (or keep some samples ;) ) of the finished product for my home system as the results on such a crappy set up were so much more noticable. i won't be able to listen to my system again until I have them!

There are a pair running around new york, a pair in the UK, I'm not sure how many Bhobba has and Mike has 1 or 2 pairs still himself. as well as that I'm going to be sending some prototypes to my international distributors across Europe, the UK and US and can't wait to see what feedback it recieves.

I won't link it, but if anyone gets time to have a look at the write up on the ETI site then go have a look. this is going to be a top selling product and (ETI) already have over 50 pairs pre-ordered.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2012, 06:12:37 AM »
  The pair in NY is from Swap Meet Audio which were demonstrated at the DC Audiofest.
  ETI has bought the rights from Lenehan Audio. SMA was the US disdributor before the rights were sold.
  We highly reccomend this product. It delivers about 25% of QOl in soundstaging and openess. However if you want the whole Enchalada get both, oh my!!

charles

TrevorETI

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2012, 04:13:02 PM »
Thanks rollo, sound advice.

I still am really keen, after what you've told me and what I've read, to get my hands on QOL.

did you get my last email? I didn't want to swamp you after the show but thought it needed a bit more than I last left it haha.

Trev

Offline bhobba

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2012, 04:33:27 PM »
Hi Guys

Since Trev mentioned me I thought I would chime in.

I have a spare pair I got to put on my Arions when we found it improved them - yea really weird but true.  But my Arions have not arrived yet - the pair that hit Australia I ordered went to some other guy that took a punt and ordered a pair but because he was starting from scratch and I have plenty of gear to get on with was asked to let him have them.  That means I have a spare pair right now and am sending them on a bit of a tour here in Aus.  But gremlins have struck and the guy I lent them to returned them to Mike instead of me because he was down that way and Mike misplaced them.  He has to now build me a pair from scratch and they are waiting painting.  The guy that does the painting is to say the least in high demand and always has a large backlog so there is a bit of a delay before it continues its tour - so far only two guys have tried them.

Having both the QOL and AMG's I can indeed verify when combined together it is really something - they work synergistically. 

Trev I have a QOL mate - since I seem to recall you are in Brisbane simply drop me a line and you can borrow mine.   

Thanks
Bill

TrevorETI

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2012, 07:42:47 PM »
Thanks Bill,

Definitely will be shooting you an email to have a listen.
I've been working with manufacturing the last few days to tidy up the components from Mike and will have the last of the Prototypes ready to ship out early next week,

depending on what I decide to do I'm more than happy to ship you a pair to use with the tour if you like. pretty much have all the stock ready to go, just need to iron out some aesthetics so they look the part.

I will have 18 pairs in total for prototypes and will be sending:
- 5 to the US distributor
- 5 to the Central Europe Distributor
- 2 pairs to the UK distributor
- 2 Pairs to our singapore distributor
- 1 pair to our Austrain distributor
- 1 pair to a contact in WA
- I could ship you a pair if you like, and will keep the last pair to ship as an extra for maybe one of our other distributors.

Final production model is about 1 month away but ETI are taking pre-orders

Trev

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2012, 06:30:16 AM »
Thanks rollo, sound advice.

I still am really keen, after what you've told me and what I've read, to get my hands on QOL.

did you get my last email? I didn't want to swamp you after the show but thought it needed a bit more than I last left it haha.

Trev

Received email and mulling it over. Time to send Pioneer south and get Lenehan speakers with Arion Amps, PDX DAC and Miracle Audio preamp.  :-P :)

charles