Author Topic: system evolution  (Read 11609 times)

rosconey

system evolution
« on: September 08, 2007, 04:41:50 PM »
my  speakers are the oldest piece of my system,rick craig 3.5 way stand mounts and a vmps large sub-
i do so enjoy hearing them change with my upgrades as ive gone along-

tonight as i was listen to some big head tod live  i was struck by the new quality of vocals and mids with my new se monos and tubes  in my pre-

ive had them for a long time in audio years and im still amazed a pair of diy 400$ speakers

Joker

Re: system evolution
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2007, 01:55:54 PM »
My speakers are also the oldest piece in my rig but I have finally decided to upgrade them. I've been using Martin Logan Odyssey's for the last 5-6 years and have been mighty happy with them but am stepping up(I hope!) to the new LS9's but not the ones from AV123 but custom from Denny at Custom Concepts. I'm excited about hearing them, I think they're going to be beasts though. :shock: I've upgraded everything in my system with the exception of the speakers, and like you, have enjoyed hearing each improvement. I think upgrading to the Cary SLP98P was the biggest difference so far. Now we'll see how big of an upgrade the new speakers are......or I hope they are anyway!! :shock:

John

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2007, 06:04:26 AM »
Joker,
               They will be if you match them your your amp. All of your voicing with the changes you made might be moot when you change speakers. If your going to stay with the Classe amp try B&W [802] or Mirage M3si [ used ] or Maggies. Good luck man.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Joker

« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2007, 09:51:09 AM »
Hi Rollo,

Well I think I'm going to stick with the LS9's but do plan to change amps(once I get the 9's paid for). I'm thinking along the lines of a Mac 402 or the Mac 501's or a Vac Phi 110/110. Any thoughts on those three?

Thank you,
John

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2007, 07:01:05 AM »
The Mac and VAC are both over achievers IMO. The choice will be determined by your speakers. However if you want to live happily with no worry, Mac is it. When you buy one and its fully broken in [ about a year for the trannies ] you wil not be thinking of getting another amp.
      The VAC is as sweet as they come. They proved well handling the Magico minis at the HES in NY. As companies go Mac has excellent customer service. Why? cause you don't need any. VAC on the other hand can be an experience. Reliability is an issue as well. With that said they are both fine Amps and only a direct comparison in your home with your sysytem will prove which one stays.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.