Author Topic: Modified Pioneer  (Read 11694 times)

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Modified Pioneer
« on: January 22, 2007, 02:18:08 AM »
Hi Guys,

My first post on Audio Nervosa and i'm hoping that we can share useful information to improve our sound system.

A few years ago i bought a modified perpetual technologies p3a (modwright level 2), p1a and monolithic power supply.  I used to use a really nice modified pioneer pds 507 which had a g & d clock installed in it.  I think Toni Giovanni from was the person behind g & d who used to do modifications to cdps.  

Anyway i couldn't use my pioneer since 2001 as it didn't have a digital coax output and the pt p3a did not have optical out.  Anyway a couple of weeks ago i had a g & d digital output board installed for $300au in the pioneer and i have been listening to it ever since in my system.

I don't have golden ears but i can hear an improvement in all areas of my system using the pioneer as a transport.  It really makes my system sound less digital and more analogue imo.  Anyway i thought i'd let you know what i've recently bought.  

Has anyone else noticed an improvement with digital transports.  I guess if i've invested about $1500au into my pioneer but i can definitely hear the improvement.

Regards

Rod

AliG

Modified Pioneer
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2007, 09:02:52 AM »
Rod,

Certainly digital transport makes a significant different. Even the digital cable behaves rather differently when you throw in different transport and preamp into the mix.

I haven't heard the pioneer mod so I really can't say much about it. But a US$300 squeezebox can be modded to be a very good transport. Because hard drive playback get rid of jitters introduced at the CD rotating/reading stage.

If you want a state of the art transport, then I would suggest a Modified Northstar transport from Aberdeen Component, it's only US$2500 but it can more than hold its own against some of the mega-expensive transports like Wadia, Esoteric.

Rgds
  barry

Offline Rocket

• Certifiable
Modified Pioneer
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2007, 08:52:06 PM »
Hi AliG,

I have thought about purchasing a sb3 at some stage but i am put off by some of the problems that are frequently reported by AC forum members.  I'm not too handy with software computer related issues.

The d & g modification is quite good and at this stage i wouldn't want to invest anymore money in my system.

Regards

Rod