Author Topic: Open baffle planars and servo subs  (Read 62437 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Open baffle planars and servo subs
« Reply #165 on: November 18, 2017, 11:16:25 AM »
Can't wait to see them, and maybe hear them sometime!  :drool:

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #166 on: November 18, 2017, 03:04:49 PM »
All 10 Parasound A23's are connected and making music with the dspMusikLCD as the entire front end driven from the MS-3 Music Server.

Using a new room correction curve in MathAudio RoomEQ and it is excellent!  Now to make a new set of RoomEQ measurements with the new amps and the Earthworks measurement mic setup at 24bit/192KHz. 

After the week of Dec 3 when the full 16 channel dspMusikLCD is here, then I can play the system for folks that come down to SoMD.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #167 on: November 26, 2017, 05:44:02 PM »
The Megaliths 16 channel dspMusikLCD crossover prototype is ready for testing with the hardware when it arrives next Sunday.

The excitement builds!!!

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #168 on: December 07, 2017, 02:42:52 PM »
The 16 channel dspMusikLCD with the first revision of The Megaliths crossover is up and running! Need to make more measurements and try the room correction with Foobar2000 with the new crossover.

This is getting better all the time!!! :)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #169 on: December 11, 2017, 11:45:36 AM »
HAL truly a mega success. Your design of the [6] per side OB subs is quite an achievement alone. THe OB planars are off the charts altogether.
Others have tried to copy your design and have failed. Keep up the great work.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #170 on: December 11, 2017, 12:56:12 PM »
Charles,

This has been the insight and work of many excellent companies to make it all happen.  This is truly a massive thing that could not have been done until these drivers were available for this sound quality along with the amps, servo amps and dspMusikLCD 2x16. 

Whoever thinks DIY is for just for youngsters starting out need to reevaluate their concepts of what is possible in a basement.  :)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #171 on: January 28, 2018, 07:30:54 PM »
Finished getting Windows 10 1709 loaded on the MS-3 Music Server and software is up and running for measurements.

With the new version of REW, it now has support for 192KHz sample rate operation.  This means all speaker measurements with it are at the native processing rate of the dspMusikLCD 2x16.  Using the Earthworks M550 mic and 1021 mic preamp into the ADC will give full minimum phase measurement capability for the system. 

Will be doing measurement trials on Monday and see what is now possible with the new system.

There is also improved support for MathAudio RoomEQ for HiRez measurements as well.  This will be part of the measurement trials.

First will be finishing the adjustments to the digital crossover for flattest response before any correction is applied.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #172 on: February 09, 2018, 01:59:41 PM »
Had a day to make some measurements on The Megaliths and do some response tweaking.

The is the Audiomatica Pocket CLIO frequency response of the left speaker at my listening location 8' from the array.  Still have some room interaction to work on, but very nice without any room correction system running at all.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #173 on: February 10, 2018, 07:05:13 AM »
First listening session with friends last night.  Progress has been made with the new implementation of the crossover.

Now to try the RoomEQ function with the new measurement suite.

One person said they miss the pizza box amp look!  :)

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #174 on: February 15, 2018, 06:02:13 AM »
Had a bit of a difference in the ribbon tweeters on both sides of the line array.

Found out the ribbon connector element screws had gotten loose and had to be tightened.  Once tightening was done all ribbons are working correctly.  Greg now has a new design to correct that for future ribbon builds. 

Ran into an issue with MathAudio RoomEQ correction that I reported when making HiRez measurements.  Waiting to see what I get as feedback.  Hopefully it is something they will correct in a new build if they decide to support it.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #175 on: April 15, 2018, 08:33:17 PM »
After making new 24bit/192KHz room measurements with MathAudio RoomEQ, the MS-3 and dspMusikLCD 2x16, have The Megaliths sounding great with all the music playback tonight. Classical, Jazz, Pop and Rock all sound wonderful and very open like music in a space.

First test was the original CD version of Pink Floyd's Dark Side of the Moon. Sounds better than I remember it, and now need to get the DSD version on the Music Server for a comparison.

Almost time for friends to come over for another listening session to gauge progress.

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #176 on: July 23, 2018, 06:49:18 PM »
After doing some room and sub modeling, decided on a new location for the servo sub towers in my listening room. 

Bob came over for the sub tower movement and driver rewire to test them with all the sub drivers facing forward.   Updated the time delay between the subs and lines to work with the new sub positioning.  Audibly much improved over the original response in the low end from the original positions.

Will be making new room response measurements to see what needs adjustment. 

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #177 on: March 27, 2019, 11:14:36 AM »
The 8 updated GT Audio Works ribbons are installed and running in The Megaliths.

Making music at this time. Now for some new measurements to check the dspMusikLCD 2x16 digital crossover with the change to the ribbons.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #178 on: March 27, 2019, 07:02:22 PM »
You truly are a Wildman!  Turn them so I can hear them here! 8)
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #179 on: March 27, 2019, 10:18:52 PM »
In the original post in this thread you show a picture of what looks like the same woofer tower , except the drivers alternate direction. This is what I am used to seeing in open baffle sub designs. Yet in the the latest pic all of the woofers are pointed out , facing the listener. Why the change?
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables