Author Topic: Couple of Questions  (Read 2486 times)

Offline steve

• Audiologist
Couple of Questions
« on: March 14, 2018, 06:21:37 PM »
Got a couple of questions for all, and question 2 especially for those with subs.

1) How many would, or do, remove their speaker grills so the mids/tweeter drivers show?

2) What do you think of a crossover frequency in the vicinity of 160hz, give or take? Any problems with adding a sub at that frequency?

Cheers and Thanks.

steve
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Couple of Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 10:56:13 AM »
  Yes and no some like the grill in place others excel without. Depends on design.
  No if one has a bass driver capable of that frequency.

charles

contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2018, 08:45:53 AM »
Got a couple of questions for all, and question 2 especially for those with subs.

1) How many would, or do, remove their speaker grills so the mids/tweeter drivers show?

2) What do you think of a crossover frequency in the vicinity of 160hz, give or take? Any problems with adding a sub at that frequency?

Cheers and Thanks.

steve

I used to keep speaker grills on all the time for aesthetic reasons, but did get out of the habit a few years ago when I upgraded all my wires and got a new dac. That improved the resolution quite a bit. With my soon to be here  LS 50s, they don’t have a cover and look great as is.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2018, 12:10:26 PM »
The height of the sub driver and midbass drivers affects the choice crossover freq. The floorbounce cancellation has to be considered.

Usually if you place the sub low and the midbass high enough then you can get away with higher xo freq and still avoid making a bass suckout from bounce cancellation.

A speaker like my Legacy Focus have 4 LF drivers at heights from 14" up to 52" all crossing over at 120Hz. So all those floor reflections flatten each other to make a full bass response. In the previous version they added a 12" helper driver just to fill in the floorbounce.  If you put the bass driver on the floor and the mid near earheight (35") then you can have crossover at 250Hz and no floor bounce cancellation.  But that's pretty high xo, few consumer sub drivers can play that high - too much inductance. As the xo freq goes up the distance between the drivers must get shorter to avoid lobing cancellation.

Another factor to consider is the performance of the bass driver itself. Most inexpensive HT subwoofers drivers don't have the performance to reach above 80Hz. So either build your own from quality parts, or make sure the sub you buy can play as high as you want. Remember the crossover band continues way above the crossover point, so for 4th order LP filter the sub should play with low distortion up to double the crossover freq.

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:11:31 PM »
Another factor to consider is the performance of the bass driver itself. Most inexpensive HT subwoofers drivers don't have the performance to reach above 80Hz.

I thought inexpensive subwoofers might be a major concern. Here are two photos of my little project in curved cabinets. With the xover and little zobel, excellent sound.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2018, 01:14:20 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers