Author Topic: Cryo process effective?  (Read 7094 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Cryo process effective?
« on: June 20, 2014, 08:39:59 PM »
Ok so i figured this goes under methods so hopefully I am posting in the correct place.
My question is this: does cryo treatment improve a cables sound? For example speaker cables? I have an opportunity to buy some cables and the current owner is making a big deal that they have been cryo'd.

Thanks.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Cryo process effective?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 01:49:37 PM »
Hi Jim

I think the speaker cable makers here can properly answer whether or not cryo processing on speaker cables is effective. Me personally I haven't had speaker wires cryoed but I did have preamp and power tubes cryoed. I believe I heard a difference but the time period of when I did the A/B comparison was a long time and I didn't take good notes at the first listen.

One thing is that you may be able to find someone who can cryo stuff for you. Ask around and maybe you can have some of your own speaker cables or ICs cryoed.

What cables are you looking into? Are they cables that were sent for cryo treatment after they were made? I've seen some sellers on the net take those grey and purple hospital cords that cost $16 each cryo them in big batches and then sell them for $45 each. Sometimes I think if the cable maker's design didn't start off to be cryo treated from the get go the seller may just be trying to get more money from you.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2014, 08:15:50 AM »
I have and use a Cryo'd Squeezebox.  I have cryo'd breakers, romex, and outlets in my sound room.  I have no way to A/B compare the stuff in my walls.  However, I have compared cryo'd and non-cryo'd tubes, SB3, and some equipment power cables.

It made a noticeable difference in the tubes - 1 became defective due to the cryo process, and was clearly very different than before... it made weird sounds on its own, and then none.

I think with the SB3, it made an internal component stop working sooner than a non-cryo'd unit.  

So, it really tests the gear and will expose any weakness.

With just plain cables, my guess is the effect on the insulation will likely offset/add/change the overall impact of the actual changes to the crystalline structure of the metal that changes.  

If the cable manufacturer had the raw copper cryo'd then insulated it, that would make the most sense.  But that's me, a layman.  Could be that insulation is OK to super-freeze and then thaw without any negative impact... I don't know.

I do know that cryo'ing does change the molecular structure of metal.  They do it to barrels of guns and that helps with accuracy... The electricity should flow more efficiently but whether that's a good thing or not would require a comparison.  

The process costs money and is generally lauded in the audio community which is why the guy thinks it adds value.  But hardly anyone has compared a non-cryo'd to cryo'd speaker cable in reality.
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline Werd

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2014, 01:28:57 PM »
Low system gain using singled ended ICs are where I use them.  Don't like using them on everything. Maybe one or two pieces like power cables or ICs. Don't think I've used speaker cable that has been cryoed.
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:42 AM »
  Yes makes a difference in eliminating resistance. All cryo treatment is not the same. Deep helium is the most affective however very expensive.
   The cryo company also makes a difference.  with cables in general it is all about the entire assembly not just one part like cryo treatment. The only way to tell is frankly listening to them in your system before purchase.
    Do not get caught up in the marketing hype. The overall LCR of the cable is what synergy is all about. Each system is just different. One size does not fit all. Experiment.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.