Author Topic: Just what comprises and who is an "Expert?"  (Read 12218 times)

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
  • Build your system for yourself, not the critics
    • Purity Audio Design
Re: Just what comprises and who is an "Expert?"
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 07:56:26 AM »
Everyone is an expert in their own beliefs
Design Engineer
Purity Audio Design www.PurityAudioDesign.com
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 08:43:37 AM »
How about retitle it as Round Table Corner?  :rofl:
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 08:53:14 AM »
How about retitle it as Round Table Corner?  :rofl:

That is what we actually have here a round table discussion.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
Geez why all the concern over "experts" it is just a word. If this word somehow intimidates some then I suggest you toughen up your skin.  We as a forum can easily proclaim our own experts from our manufacturing, designing members here.
There are some here who just know more or have experienced more. No one is preaching or telling anyone anything. If a question is asked by a member "Our" experts chime in. Then a discussion is initiated with "All' for their input.
IMHO Dave, Steve, Hal, Scotty, Bill are experts to me.
If a member believes they are an expert in their own mind and do not desire advice of any kind avoid the thread, easy peasy. Do not ruin it for the rest of us. No agenda here but good will.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 09:11:06 AM »
everyone is their own expert, you don't need someone selling something to tell you otherwise
Nice.  Snarky, as I expected.  I think you missed the point, but there you go. :?

+1 spot on.

charles

djdube525

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2017, 09:15:03 AM »
Reminds me of beer league hockey...

The guys that go on and on and on about their exploits in High School and Junior Hockey... you would swear they had only been skating for a couple years. The guys that said "Who me? oh... I played a little bit of pond hockey here and there growing up" were the ones to watch out for.

I find that people who tend to know a lot about a particular area, tend to realize there is so much more to learn... and that applies to many topics/areas/etc. in life.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2017, 09:29:02 AM »
Even after designimg for 20 years, i still follow threads to see what other have to say. There have been many times i have learned from people on this forum. It doesnt matter if they are in the industry or diy'ers. Knowledge comes in many different forms and from many different people.
Design Engineer
Purity Foundation Streaming Pre, Foundation DAC, Purity Foundation Hybrid GaN 200, Pure Audio Project Trio 15 Classic, Sony SACD Player, Nakamichi tape deck,

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2017, 09:35:19 AM »
Reminds me of beer league hockey...

The guys that go on and on and on about their exploits in High School and Junior Hockey... you would swear they had only been skating for a couple years. The guys that said "Who me? oh... I played a little bit of pond hockey here and there growing up" were the ones to watch out for.

I find that people who tend to know a lot about a particular area, tend to realize there is so much more to learn... and that applies to many topics/areas/etc. in life.

I can't say any better.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline Hugh

• Angel City Audio
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2017, 09:36:18 AM »
Even after designimg for 20 years, i still follow threads to see what other have to say. There have been many times i have learned from people on this forum. It doesnt matter if they are in the industry or diy'ers. Knowledge comes in many different forms and from many different people.

Exactly.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:56 AM »
Dave, thanks for bringing it up. I've been thinking about this recently. I like the Experts Corner idea, but I'm not comfortable with coming up with criteria to label anyone an expert. I'm an audio enthusiast and I don't think it's necessary or appropriate for me to do it anyway.
The idea was to be able to tap into a knowledge base of experienced individuals/companies and exchange ideas.
I'll be looking at this in the future and reevaluating the various forum topic headings as time allows. Constructive opinions are welcome via the forum or PMs.
Nick
That was the point of my post and question.  My Dad told me umpteen years ago that any architect designing a building should have to work a year as a janitor.  Point being that everyone has valid input on whatever task is at hand.  (Almost) Everyone has something to contribute somewhere.    I had hoped to take the blight off of the word "Expert" to make it a non-issue, but human nature prevailed.

This is oh, so true  -  djdube525:  "I find that people who tend to know a lot about a particular area, tend to realize there is so much more to learn... and that applies to many topics/areas/etc. in life."
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2017, 11:36:17 AM »
Maybe we should not concentrate on the "expert" title per say and just contribute and learn ?

charles

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2017, 11:50:56 AM »
Who would have the title "expert" bestowed upon them?

Would it be a manufacturer?  Wouldn't "manufacturer" be a more apt title?
Would it be a dealer?  Wouldn't "dealer" be a more apt title.
Would it be an ardent audio enthusiast?  Wouldn't the term "audiophile " be best suited here?

Who here would have such insecurity issues that they would even want that expert title bestowed upon them??

Do we get to vote who is a so called expert?
Does the expert get to nominate himself?
Can there be debates and a thorough vetting out procedure, perhaps background checks...
We all seem so smart in front of our keyboards, typing away frantically in our kitchens or bathrooms or bedrooms.

Let's be honest ..there are no experts here, so the whole idea is silly.
Can yoiu imagine the jokes that would fly by..."Let's ask ABCD, the " expert" his expert opinion, but no if he was expert it would no longer be opinion but fact....no?

This was a good thread to start.. it allowed some soul searching and was thought provoking, let's have more conversation like this!!!good stuff.
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Response Audio

• Industry Participant
    • Purity Audio Design
« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2017, 12:53:49 PM »
I think you hit it right on the head. Discussions would be only matter of opinions which I feel would cause cocontroversy and possibly egos geting out of control. .You could keep it simple by just having it about Tech Talk.
Design Engineer

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2017, 12:59:15 PM »

Would it be an ardent audio enthusiast?  Wouldn't the term "audiophile " be best suited here?

Who here would have such insecurity issues that they would even want that expert title bestowed upon them??

This was a good thread to start.. it allowed some soul searching and was thought provoking, let's have more conversation like this!!!good stuff.
I've never been one to avoid pulling the pin on a controversy grenade and rolling it into the center of the room.  As long as conversation is civil, it's all good.

Making the point that we are all or none of us are experts was my full intention. 

I think maybe a better name for this area of AN would be "The Think Tank".  A place where we can gert group think going on gnarly problems that we all have on occasion.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline Nick B

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2017, 01:01:00 PM »

Do we get to vote who is a so called expert?
Does the expert get to nominate himself?
Can there be debates and a thorough vetting out procedure, perhaps background checks...
We all seem so smart in front of our keyboards, typing away frantically in our kitchens or bathrooms or bedrooms.

Let's be honest ..there are no experts here, so the whole idea is silly.
Can yoiu imagine the jokes that would fly by..."Let's ask ABCD, the " expert" his expert opinion, but no if he was expert it would no longer be opinion but fact....no?

Actually, these kinds of posts aren't a good idea. I'm not into the confrontative style of communication. I already mentioned previously that I thought the idea was good, but the use of the word "expert" could be a problem and sure enough, you've tried to singlehandedly ride that dying horse over the cliff.
Good communication is a skill. Its easy to piss all over people when they're trying and it's not up to your confrontative standards. That old adage ....I'm just being honest..is also the biggest cop out in the world. It's simply an excuse to be rude under the guise of being honest.
I'm also not into the constant jabs at certain individuals. If you don't like someone, ignore them. That's life...deal with it. Trust me when I tell you that I am not the only one who is tired of some of your posts. I'm not going to lose some guys who I enjoy having here because you choose to "go negative"  more often than not.
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS