Author Topic: Analysis Planar Ribbon Speakers.  (Read 9946 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Analysis Planar Ribbon Speakers.
« on: May 30, 2011, 06:29:41 AM »
    After hearing the Analysis Omegas first driven with Joule Electra Rite of Passage and lately with Lamm Hybrid amps and Sing preamp I am sold hook line and sinker. Not inexpensive, needs some serious juice but man do they deliver. As real as real gets in reproduction of music IMO.  info@analysisaudiousa.com

charles
« Last Edit: May 30, 2011, 06:31:14 AM by rollo »
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

lonewolfny42

Re: Analysis Planar Ribbon Speakers.
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 07:46:01 AM »
They are very good speakers Charles....

http://www.analysisaudiousa.com/faq.php

These Omegas were at Robert Learner's home for an audition about two years ago.... :thumb:

Offline JLM

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 02:59:16 PM »
Good to hear from lonewolfny42   :thumb:

It just occured to me that we here or a Audio Circle hadn't heard from you for a while Chris.   8)

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2011, 03:20:15 PM »
Aren't the Analysis speakers basically built from the old Apogee designs, but improved on? They certainly look that way.

Full ribbon design, low efficiancy - sounds and looks like a reintroduction of Apogees at a price point to match the current insanity.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2011, 03:36:11 PM »
They are higher impedance than Apogees, and various other improvements that I can't remember, but based on Apogee designs. They are designed and built in Greece.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2011, 05:36:36 PM »
Good to hear from lonewolfny42   :thumb:

It just occured to me that we here or a Audio Circle hadn't heard from you for a while Chris.   8)

Still alive and well...just very busy with work...and more work....so my posting time has been cut short... :?

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2011, 07:05:19 AM »
Aren't the Analysis speakers basically built from the old Apogee designs, but improved on? They certainly look that way.

Full ribbon design, low efficiency - sounds and looks like a reintroduction of Apogees at a price point to match the current insanity.

Not quite Bobo, they go down to 22Hz use only 3 parts in the crossover. Neodymium magnets  not thin sounding in the least. Balls to the floor. Real ribbon bass down to the Netherlands and need only 50W to make em sing.
  I have heard them with, Lamm, Joule Electra and De Hav GM70 amps. The Apogees just do not have the weight and body that the Analysis have.

charles

Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Lissnr

• Seeking Help
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 08:05:53 PM »
Hey Charles, You're comparing a 25+ year old design to a current technology version... Of course there will be significant updates, refinements and advances - especially when the original is no longer in new production. (Sort of like a vintage Ferrari against a new Lamborghini).   Fortunately there are a few paths to Apogee upgrades and one in particular [TrueSoundWorks in Nevada] will sell you one of his or upgrade any Apogee that will then compete toe to toe with ANY speaker in the world. Period. [And not, BTW, at overly obscene prices]--- considering you will never lust after another speaker again. As a current "stock/original" Apogee Duetta Signature owner I can assure you that a NEW Ferrari will gladly take on all challengers today and uphold its well earned legacy into the future. Until then, while there's no urgency at all right now, someday [when I can afford it] MINE too will be upgraded.
So.... I guess for now I'll have to make due with my mint, vintage V-12 mid-engine 5 speed canyon-carving prancing horse.
Now you'll have to excuse me, I have to go burn some rubber....no no, I meant "Warm up" some power tubes...  Ciao baby.    Grant

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 08:43:59 PM »
I heard those rebuilt Apogees at RMAF 2008. I sat next to Robert Harley for his audition, after which he told the mfg that he was awarding him his 'best sound of the show.' Electronics were AR Reference3 and 110. It did sound lovely.   I've heard the Analysis many times and I do like them. Not as crispy clear as the apogees, but then I never heard the Analysis' with AR electronics, which seem to make everything sound good at the shows. Best I've heard them so far was the Omegas with Spectron. Importer Mike Kalellis is a wonderful person. 

With neodymium prices through the roof I would think Analysis speakers would be too, since they use so much of it.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2011, 08:48:46 PM »
One of my favorite memories in hifi was listening to these with Carlman on his one day trip to RMAF 2007. Peter Gabriel was not previously on the menu in that room, but went over well. Does anybody know what kind of amps those are? Some expensive european brand totally slobbered over in the press, but not really fast enough for these speakers.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2011, 10:25:53 PM »
Does anybody know what kind of amps those are?

It's not Blue Circle....it's Behold....they have been at a few shows Rich.

http://www.behold-usa.com/page.php?en100000

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2011, 07:28:01 AM »
That's it! Thanks Chris. I thought it started with an S so that threw me off.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2011, 08:12:20 AM »
  Now,now boys don't get your dander up :roll:. The Apogee Duettas are one my favorite speakers of ALL time. Saying that the Analysis Ribbons may be another option as Apogee is out of business and hard to find. Actually Grant the CJ amps your running produce one of the best sounds I have heard through Apogees. Da room da room da room.
   Yup one can ship their speakers to Nevada and hope they come back in one piece. The mod as good as it may be is unheard by the owner taking a chance big time. The mod and the shipping is not inexpensive.
   So for me finding a pair first is an issue then shipping and such A listen to the Analysis just my stop ya in your tracks.
   Which is better ? There is no "better" IMO just different. My last experience with the Lamm gear was well in a word, complete. 

charles

Offline Lissnr

• Seeking Help
« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2011, 07:08:13 PM »
Charles, thanks for the thumbs up on da room...It's "Ever-evolving/work - in - progress" status is supposedly coming to an end soon (in my mind at least)....I just need to upgrade a few more: pwr cords??, interconnects?? ya yas??... and then I'm done. Uh huh.
Getting back to you. Yes, acquiring Apogees is the first hurdle to owning them. Generally speaking, buying used Apogees requires driving. Driving that is, with a vehicle big enough to handle large flat boxes (I used my Durango). My first purchased pair entailed a trip to the Boston suburbs for a long weekend, when I sold them I met their new owners at the Orient Point Ferry parking lot, then he got back on the next boat for his return trip to CT. Next pair (current Duettas) was a ride to Binghamton, NY where we met at a Cracker Barrel parking lot right off the thruway...    Used Apogees must be picked up because shipping SAFELY requires custom built wooden crates, pallets, special carriers you can trust (there are a few who specialize in antique furniture who know what they're doing), as well as insurance, lots of luck, and lots of worry. But, if you're having a pair re-done...it is well worth all the expense because the speakers are now a much more considerable investment...
With that said it should now be obvious that the biggest part of the deal I made for Bob buying my 'reserve" pair of Calipers was the delivery - to - his -  door aspect of the sale (A whopping 4 miles round trip). Those opportunities don't pop up often... (Did I mention I had to drive [my Durango again] to some private residence in Somerset, NJ when I bought them????)
So, Apogees are elusive beasts that only reside on the highest peaks of the Himalayan mountains with all those sure-footed goats and moss and lichen growing on boulders and all that raw-world stuff...A LOT of work to find a worthwhile pair.
OR
IF ya got the bucks...You can fly to Nevada, see Rich Murry of TrueSoundWorks, audition every model you want to, pick the best one for your room and wallet, then have them shipped, as per above, back to your place.
OR
You can listen to them thar Analysis young-uns and weigh all the options yussellff.
Do me a favor though, if you really are seriously thinking about springing in this direction (If you can manage it, do it), let me know and we should talk some more and listen again over my neck of the mountain range before you make any final decisions.
Happy Lissn'n.   Grant