Author Topic: Acoustic Zen Adagio  (Read 12175 times)

Offline Emil

• Audio Neurotic
Acoustic Zen Adagio
« on: March 31, 2010, 03:10:01 PM »

Anyone own or heard a pair? Comments?

Of course all the reviews are positive :D
"Today I didn't even have to use my A.K.
I got to say it was a good day"
    --Ice Cube

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Acoustic Zen Adagio
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 04:38:15 PM »
It was my favorite speaker at my first RMAF, back in 06, with Response 100W tube monoblocks, (and modwright tube pre, I think.) I was a fresh noob, but the good impression held up over time. I've recently heard them again at Henry's (bmr3hc) and they're still awesome, again with a great tube amp.  Great bass, amazing transient response for a TL speaker, even with tubes.

I heard their newest hifi monster speakers with triamped Halcro at RMAF08, interesting, but only cerebral.

evan1

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
Emil , doesn't Philnyc have a pair in his basement?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=album;id=1768
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 05:07:24 PM by evan1 »

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2010, 05:53:43 PM »
for my personal tastes, they mandate having tubes on them to sound their best... they are a little too lean and forward for my liking.  They need a little romantic love in front of them.  but you need decently stout tubes to control the t-line bass... otherwise it can get boomy..

the tweeter can be an issue for some folks that like to iisten at different heights.  get above or below it and it drops off a cliff as far as output.  Not a big deal if you are going to be sitting in front of them to listen all the time.  but something to consider if you are using for background music or casual listening while in the same room but out of the tweeter's axis...

having said all that, once setup well, they are a marvel of performance, especially at the used or demo prices you can usually find.  they image like bandits and have speed, detail and amazing transients.  the cabinet veneer and finish is excellent.  some folks aren't crazy about the baffles on the front for the two midwoofers and staring at the spiral ribbon tweeter.  I liked it... the better half hated it... chacun son gout.....

Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

AcidJazz

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2010, 09:20:55 PM »
Emil , doesn't Philnyc have a pair in his basement?

http://www.audiocircle.com/index.php?action=gallery;sa=album;id=1768

Yes he does...and its may fav of all he carries.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 06:20:41 AM »
I liked it... the better half hated it...

.... Which means you lose. Beacause as Jeff Foxworthy tells us, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."   :duh
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline hometheaterdoc

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 06:46:42 AM »
I liked it... the better half hated it...

.... Which means you lose. Beacause as Jeff Foxworthy tells us, "When Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy."   :duh

Which is why I sold them to Henry here locally and don't have them on display anymore :( 

It's interesting that she loves the Era Design, likes the PSB, can deal with the Harbeth, and hates the Usher and Acoustic Zen.  I caved on the Acoustic Zen and went to the mattresses on the Usher... She wins one, I win one :) 

Of all the speakers, I figured she would have had the biggest objection to the Harbeth...  She actually likes the rosewood veneer on the P3ESR, which is why my pair of Compact 7s and Monitor 40.1s in Rosewood are on their way to me right now to replace the departed cherry models......
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2010, 07:45:22 AM »

[/quote]

Which is why I sold them to Henry here locally and don't have them on display anymore :( 

The Acoustic Zen I bought from Shane bested the Spendors S8e I had, and was very pleased with them. The Acoustic Zen absolutely required a stable base footing. The original spikes supplied does not come close to giving you the stability these speakers require. I ordered outriggers that are made for the Acoustic Zen that are rock solid and anchored well to my carpeted floor. Much improved bass, mids and high frequency response. The ribbon tweeter is far better, IMHO than the Spendors soft dome tweeter. Much more detail. Bass response very impressive. The mids not quite as glorious as the Spendors, but very good.
I have the RM-9 mkll tube amp with 125 wpc. This amp works wonders with the AZ speakers. I am very happy with my set-up and the AZ.
The AZ speakers do require a long break-in period. They will be somewhat schizophrenic at times until fully broke-in about 300-400 hrs. I suspect those who got rid of them early did not allow time for break-in and did not have the speakers supported well with outriggers.

Henry

"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Werd

• Return of the Hot Librarians 2016
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2010, 10:03:09 AM »
Hello

Bought these speakers two years ago and still love them. I only wish the next speaker up in the line wasnt 10k more. These speakers really respond well to more power or just general  changes in amps. I went from a 4B to a 14B with remarkable change in imaging for the better. If there is air to be found and dead quite spots between instruments these speakers will produce it. IOW putting a 10k power amp on them is worth while and not a waste of money.

Somebody please point me to these outriggers i would love to try them..... :thumb:
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

lonewolfny42

« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2010, 10:10:55 AM »

Offline Werd

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2010, 11:05:10 AM »
Thanx  :thumb:, exactly what i need and will be ordering..... They add an added layer of protection against 3 years old too and big sheep dogs.... :rofl: and not to mention better sounding...
Nola Viper Reference iii, Nola Blue Thunder Subs, Chapter Couplet 400s, Chapter Précis 250 integrated set to pre, Bryston BDA2/BDP1.
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Offline bmr3hc

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2010, 04:06:50 AM »
I have the Adagios which replaced my Spendors S8e. The Spendors midranged better. The Adagios low and highs better IMHO. The Adagios needs to be anchored well to sound their best. The outriggers referred to here are very good. In fact the outriggers should be mandatory on carpeted floors. Sounds great with my 125 wpc tube amp.

Henry
"If music be the food of love, play on."  Shakespeare

Offline Werd

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 09:44:15 PM »
Hello

On that outrigger kit for the Adagios. Can someone tell me the difference between the 1.5 and 2.0in cone height. Why would i need 2.0" cone height.

Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 11:38:40 PM »
Hello

On that outrigger kit for the Adagios. Can someone tell me the difference between the 1.5 and 2.0in cone height. Why would i need 2.0" cone height.

Tall.....as in really tall carpet would be about the only reason I can think of. 1.5 is plenty regardless.

Offline Werd

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2010, 10:40:21 AM »
Hello

Tall.....as in really tall carpet would be about the only reason I can think of. 1.5 is plenty regardless.

Thats what i was thinking too, thanx
Torus RM-20 240v

Gutwire, TWL, Wywires,