Author Topic: Power Cords and TV  (Read 7255 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Power Cords and TV
« on: August 27, 2018, 08:22:13 AM »
   If you have extra audio grade PC around put them on your TV, cable box, Blue Ray, etc. While we were testing new power cords my TWL HC were sitting there resting.
  On a lark installed all into components mentioned and to my surprise the picture improved dramatically. Blacker blacks, deeper color, better focused picture.
  Already had Ubers installed and Digibuss. HUGE boys huge.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: Power Cords and TV
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 02:54:33 PM »
I have changed power cords on my older Samsung LCD TV from 2006. Newer TVs from Sony and LG I've seen don't have the 3 prong IEC connectors. They the smaller ones. What I did was I changed the outlets the TVs are plugged into and I also had some small isolation transformers in between the TV and the upgraded outlet.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
The IEC C7 plug is a problem for many people.  First of all it in not polarized.  That leaves the TV or whatever wondering what they will be fed power from in the context of power polarity. 

For sport: if you have an IEC C7 plug feeding your TV, first turn it over to change the incoming phase relationships with the TV PS.  One way will ALWAYS look better.

Pete (TWL) and I bothe build IEC C7 power cables.  Give one a try.  It will change your video experience for the better.  Just get the polarity correct.

Just sayin'.........................
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline satfrat

• Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »
   If you have extra audio grade PC around put them on your TV, cable box, Blue Ray, etc. While we were testing new power cords my TWL HC were sitting there resting.
  On a lark installed all into components mentioned and to my surprise the picture improved dramatically. Blacker blacks, deeper color, better focused picture.
  Already had Ubers installed and Digibuss. HUGE boys huge.

charles
IF you have your display device professionally calibrated, any picture upgrade tweeks you do are meaningless. Regardless whether the calibration is done before or after the tweeks are added, the calibrated picture will be exactly the same even tho the calibration settings themselves might change slightly.

So if you want to spend your money wisely, spend it on a professional calibration done by a qualified ISF technician.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 04:26:25 AM »
Hmmmm......  measured accuracy vs subjectively pleasant, where have I heard that argument before????

Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline satfrat

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:50:07 AM »
Hmmmm......  measured accuracy vs subjectively pleasant, where have I heard that argument before????

Ah yes, that is true in the home of the unacknowledged public. But the fact remains the goal for a calibrated display device is to replicate the movie theater experience. The projectors in theaters have all been calibrated to ISF standards, there is a constant there, it's not made up to appease to the public's perception of a "subjectively pleasant" picture. Of course in the home, standards get thrown out the window. The good news is in the last 20 years or so since ISF calibration knowledge has become mainstream within the industry, most tv manufacturer's are calibrating their TV's so there is at least 1 viewing setting that has a closely calibrated gray scale. But as it is in audio with Bose, the TV buying public generally still think the brightest picture is the best picture. Damn lucky thing, that's not the case when you drop $10 to go to the movie theater. :D

For transparency, I have in the past cut tv power cords, installed IEC terminals and added costly power cords and did enjoy a perceived improvement. No argument there if that's what you're striving for.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2019, 10:57:31 AM »
  OK calibrated it is. Thanks Satfrat. But but the power conditioner [ Digibuss] and Uber still make a further improvement.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline satfrat

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2019, 12:02:57 PM »
  OK calibrated it is. Thanks Satfrat. But but the power conditioner [ Digibuss] and Uber still make a further improvement.

charles

You might want to keep in mind that the light output of a calibrated display device is quite lower than the norm (that being a bright showroom floor) and is meant to be watched in an ambient lighting environment. Think of a movie theater situation or a home theater projection system that demands ambient light.

In my experience, I've always had Jim Doolittle of Waltham, Ma do my calibrations, mainly cuz he was willing to make the 3 hour trip. Even tho I had done the research on ISF-calibration, I was so disappointed with the washed out picture after Jim's initial visit that I accused him of not only raping my Sony XBR but I paid him to do it. Well a week later, he came back up, mainly to educate me on what he did and why, something he admitted he failed to do as he was in a hurry to get back to Boston to pick up his child from school. But honestly in a week, I had acclimated myself to the picture and had recognized the contrast and color improvements that made the picture as accurate as possible.

Jim has done 3 calibrations for me with the 2014 calibration of my current Panasonic ST60 plasma TV (the last year they were made) being my last. I have never deviated from his settings. Guess what I'm saying Charles is give the calibration some time,, or if your tv room is inherently bright, maybe you can have the calibrator to 2 calibration settings, 1 for the bright daytime and 1 for a more ambient nighttime. It was nonissue for me personally but I know folks that have this done and calibrators that offer it cuz as you well know, the customer is ALWAYS right. LOL :beer:

Cheers,
Robin

Offline James Edward

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2019, 03:03:56 PM »
ISF Calibration... There’s a minefield, unless the customer is educated about the result, and signs an agreement about the result.
Back in the day I used the crude tools available via laptop to adjust tv’s to a semblance of ISF calibrations. Most people did not like the results. It’s almost like when speaker makers use anechoic chambers to design their speakers. No one lives in an anechoic chamber, nor do they live in a place that darkens like a theater.
Just throwing in my 2 cents.
PS- I also have had my rear projection sets ISF calibrated, by Kevin Miller. Same response regarding picture from friends: “ too soft”, etc., etc., etc.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2019, 10:26:26 AM »
  Interesting Jim. For me glare is a bad thing due to a eye surgery gone wrong. So the darkening was a blessing. Valid point for others to consider.

charles

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2019, 04:37:55 AM »
There is a website, https://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/, where if you are lucky enough to have your model TV revfiewed by them they will first calibrate the TV. That just makes sense, but they also give you an approximation of how you can set up your tv to a calibrated standard using the brightness and color and contrast and saturation controls that are already there in your TV set. check it out, setting those basic controls to what they suggest vastly improves the picture over the default standard or the other pre-adjusted standards (like movie, sports, etc. settings).
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline satfrat

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2019, 07:39:48 PM »
  Interesting Jim. For me glare is a bad thing due to a eye surgery gone wrong. So the darkening was a blessing. Valid point for others to consider.

charles

I hope Charles  you'll take a moment and report your impressions, Kevin Miller is one of the best and is a charter member is the ISF Foundation as is Jim Doolittle. He should give you a good education while he does his calibration as that is an important part of the whole process, to educate the public. Ask Kevin about the picture quality of power conditioning verses calibration,,, my guess is he'll say a properly calibrated tv will look the same either with or w/o power conditioning BUT if it's added after the calibration, it will probably change the calibration so the picture will no longer be accurate, regardless of whether it looks better to you. That's all part of the education process that a good ISF technician will give you as he's doing his calibration.

Cheers,
Robin

Offline James Edward

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2019, 04:18:06 AM »
I hope what I wrote didn’t give the wrong impression. I understood going in what the ISF calibration would render. And I was fine with the result. I had both my Hitachi 57” and Mitsubishi 65” RP sets calibrated. I’m just saying that the vast majority of people want the showroom setting of their television- brighter, sharper, extra vivid, etc.
I’ll use the analogy of preaching to the choir; the people that request a calibration have already done their homework, and know what to expect. The rest of the unwashed masses will almost never get it.
FWIW, I currently have a Panasonic plasma set about 6 years old, and though it’s considered a dinosaur, I dread the day it dies. I think the picture quality outclasses most of what is on the market today, though I haven’t explored the more expensive sets.
Well, back to the stereo- have a fine day everyone.
Luxman L- 590 AX MK2
Esoteric K-07X
Pro-Ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
Audience Au24SE
PI Cat6
Spatial Audio M3 Turbo S
Stereo Hsu ULS-15 Mk2
Supra Classic 6.0

mauidan

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2019, 10:32:48 AM »
Based on John McDonald's recommendation, I put an Audience f3 PC on my 10 year old Samsung 50" plasma, and was surprised by the improvement. ;-)

Offline satfrat

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2019, 07:35:01 PM »
I too added on to my Panasonic ST-60 plasma that's plugged into my Uberbuss/BPT Balanced Conditioner combo. I added a VenHaus VH-1 power cord and a Bybee AC adapter from my replaced Sony XBR to the Panny. As with all my gear, I believe the cleaner the power, the better the performance, be it audio or video.

Then I had the ISF-calibration done to the Panny as I had done to the Sony.  8)