Author Topic: A Smorgasbord of Interconnects  (Read 3478 times)

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
A Smorgasbord of Interconnects
« on: September 01, 2021, 04:11:47 PM »
Nick B and I had been talking a bit about our choice of interconnects, and decided to do a swap.  I had recently reviewed the new Hapa Audio Quiescence Silver IC, comparing to several that I had.  That experience encouraged me to buy more of my best sound IC, the Wywires Silver.  So I picked up another Wywires, and after talking to Nick, he sent me a spare set of Audio Envy IC and I sent him my extra Wywire Silver. 
Once I put the Audio Envy in the system and gave them good listening, I found them to be very balanced, decent detail and instrument image.  The Wywires were in a different class, and a pair of Morrow MA-3s were very close but slightly better detail, and a set of ElectraCables were the warmest and least detailed. 
These were compared on my second system because it has a Virtue piano cd player which has two rca outputs.  Making quick comparisons is as easy as switching my Dodd preamp from CD to Aux1.  The amp is the Folsom 7297 chip amp, and the speakers are the GR-Research X-Static.  It's a solid system, excellent amp and pre, and the speakers compare very well until you go well upscale.  There is a OB servo sub, but it was not turned on for this demo. 
The music was the cd "Autumn Leaves" by the Manhattan Jazz Quintet.  Other classical and vocals were listened to over a longer time, not included in the back to back A/B comparison. 
So for all the investment, all I can say is that in this system, the Wywires were clearly best.  In a brighter system, perhaps a different choice would be made. 
All in all, has been good to hear gear that others have been using.  In West Texas, audiophile GTG are few and far between.     :thumb:
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: A Smorgasbord of Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 05:26:59 PM »
This has been a great experience. In my system, one pair of Wywires Silver has been a revelation. I enjoy my Audio Envy cables a lot and the pricing is great. But now  I am looking to add a Wywires digital and at least one Silver IC. My best guess is that a different spdif digital and one or two of the ICs would be an excellent combo for me. I’ve never felt comfortable ordering multiple cables from different companies to narrow the choice to one. I have been told by a couple of companies that they are fine with being compared with one other company.

I’m fortunate to be able to keep that Wywires Silver IC for a while longer.

Thanks, Scott!  :thumb:
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: A Smorgasbord of Interconnects
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2021, 08:59:46 AM »
  Cool, having fun. The only way to tell. Scot good call on "in a brighter system? Synergy is the key and the hands on experience cannot be beat.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.