Author Topic: Converting old equipment to IEC power connectors  (Read 4036 times)

Offline jessearias

• Certifiable
Converting old equipment to IEC power connectors
« on: March 19, 2016, 08:55:25 AM »
The conversion is pretty strait forward if you have the room on the back of your equipment.

The issue is in the grounding of the 3 wire power cord. It could cause a ground loop if not properly bonded to the chassis. It depends how the manufacturer grounded the equipment in the first place.

The only reason I want to do this is that the cords on some of this old equipment are not the best (even when they were new) and now that they are worn, an upgrade to the current standard (IEC) would seem a logical move.

Any comments/concerns/ideas?
Parasound A21, Parasound JC2BP, Oppo 205 BR/SACD Disc Player, Marantz ST6000 Tuner, GoldenEar Triton 2 speakers and Supersub XXL, Triode Wire Labs interconnects, power cables and speaker wire, PI Audio Uber, Mini and Digibuss, Border Patrol DAC

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
Re: Converting old equipment to IEC power connectors
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2016, 08:02:40 PM »
The conversion is pretty strait forward if you have the room on the back of your equipment.

The issue is in the grounding of the 3 wire power cord. It could cause a ground loop if not properly bonded to the chassis. It depends how the manufacturer grounded the equipment in the first place.

The only reason I want to do this is that the cords on some of this old equipment are not the best (even when they were new) and now that they are worn, an upgrade to the current standard (IEC) would seem a logical move.

Any comments/concerns/ideas?

Give Scott at SG Custom Sound a call. He is the only person I let touch my equipment. And as a matter of fact he just put an IEC connector in my SP-9 last week.

http://www.sgcustomsound.com/
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline satfrat

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • Dallas Cowboys,, America's Team!
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 10:32:42 PM »
Why would you add a ground to a component that was built not to have one? Adding an IEC connector as a way to upgrade the power cord isn't reason alone to add a ground to the equation. I have done this simple conversion to an old Sony XBR & a Sony DVD player I liked the subtle video improvement to each, w/o adding a ground connection.

Back in the day,Radio Shack had an awesome tool called The Nibbler for making the IEC hole. I found this one on Ebay.

Cheers,
Robin
Butler 3150 amps, Sunfire Theater Grand 4 processor, Mhdt Havana w/Vitamin Q cap bypass, HTPC, Empirical Off-Ramp 3 w/Ultraclock & Hynes PS, Odyssey Audio Lorelei's, Usher X-616's, Ridge Street Audio Poiema!!! IC/SC, BPT & UberBuss power conditioners

Offline Folsom

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2017, 04:17:55 PM »
Neutrik PowerCON is a great DIY alternative. The holes are... holes, not squares. And they are pretty low noise due to shape.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:00 AM »
Neutrik PowerCON is a great DIY alternative. The holes are... holes, not squares. And they are pretty low noise due to shape.

+1 for powercon.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.