Author Topic: need HELP again with my SB 2  (Read 6025 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
need HELP again with my SB 2
« on: March 25, 2016, 04:26:32 PM »
Everything was working great until i accessed my music from my smart TV. Next time I wanted to use my SB 2 I got an error message that ports 3483, 9000 and 9090 are being blocked/had a failed connection. I called Kaspersky (antivirus) and we disabled Kaspersky and the SB 2 still doesn't work. Is there a way for me to find the ports on my Windows 7 pc and unblock/allow these ports?
I have an audio buddy traveling to listen tomorrow. He has a player, so we can hook that up, but I'd prefer not to have to do that.
Even though it's not in my budget as I wanted to buy a power conditioner, I may have to get an Auralic mini so I don't have to screw with this crap any more.

Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet

Offline richidoo

Re: need HELP again with my SB 2
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2016, 06:58:11 PM »
I think all you need is to hit the link in the Firewall dialog called "Allow a program through windows firewall." Then scroll through the list of programs to find Logitech server or whatever (maybe there is more than one?) and add a check to the private network box.

If multiple ports are suddenly blocked the they were block en masse by some other program or action, and can probably be reopened by ticking that checkbox.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2016, 10:24:32 AM »
Rich,
So far, no luck. Have done everything that you and Microsoft suggested. I found where Logitech is listed and the allow checkmarks were already checked. My SB 2 is giving me a message that the mac address needs to be reset. I haven't a clue how to do that. Will do a quick Google search. And all this occurred simply because I allowed my smart TV to access my music. What a bunch of sh......t
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2016, 11:25:16 AM »
I had LMS failover to start using port 9001 instead of 9000.  If you have something else now using port 9000, LMS ever-so-politely starts using 9001 (unfortunately, without telling you about it).   Happened to me awhile back.  Maybe related to what your SmartTV is doing?   

An easy check would be to use:

http://127.0.0.1:9001/  on the server running LMS.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2016, 11:58:32 AM »
Mike,
I diagnosed ports, mac address etc thru the Microsoft diagnostic tools on my Windows 7 laptop and everything appears ok on that end. When I try the SB 2 and ask it to automatically find the connection, it shows
That address has shown 0.14 before, so it appears there are triggers that cause it to change. What those are, I have no idea.
So are you suggesting that I now use the 127 address where I can manually set a new one?
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2016, 01:28:54 PM »
My SB 2 is giving me a message that the mac address needs to be reset. I haven't a clue how to do that.

The MAC (Machine access control) address is not changeable. It's a unique identifier for each specific device on the network. No 2 network devices  in the world have the same MAC address. It is burned into the network client hardware on manufacture. Post the exact verbage of the message.

When I try the SB 2 and ask it to automatically find the connection, it shows
That address has shown 0.14 before, so it appears there are triggers that cause it to change. What those are, I have no idea.

Your network is setup to use a DHCP server (running on your router) to allot IP addresses to all clients, and avoid IP conflicts on your network. This is the way to go. But if SB2 or any client is not used for a while, its IP address lease will expire, and the IP may be given to another device on the network. Then, when SB2 comes back and requests a new IP address from DHCP server, SB2 will receive a new IP, different from its previous IP. This should not be a problem unless you program the SB2 IP address manually into logitech server? That would be very naughty design flaw. Server should be able to find SB2 via a network name, or by proprietary identification method.

So are you suggesting that I now use the 127 address where I can manually set a new one?

127.0.0.1 is the internal IP address for your network card. You can ping your own network card from the inside with this IP address. It is the IP address that programs running on your computer use to access the network card. The network card the routes the traffic to the outside address (rcvd from DHCP) before sending it out. So if you browse to that internal address that Mike offered (with the port #) using browser on the system running Logitec server, it should come up with the server GUI. If not, try changing the port number in the URL until you find it.

Maybe you need to factory reset the SB2 and set it up from scratch. Wouldn't be the first time that was needed.
Good luck

djdube525

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2016, 04:27:57 PM »
One thing that used to give me fits, is when my PC would suffer a power loss, it would go off an get a new IP address thanks to DHCP. The problem is that you had to configure the SB to point to the IP address where the media server was running.

An easy way to check: Open a command prompt, and type: "ipconfig" and hit enter. You should see something like:

"IPv4 Address . . . . . . . . .: 192.168.1.XXX"

Check to make sure the "XXX" matches what you have your SB configured to.

If they are different, then the quick fix is to update the IP Address in the SB to match that of your computer. Long term fix is to go into your router, and create a static route for your PC... essentially creating a fixed IP address associated with the MAC address of your PC.

Hope this helps!

-DD

EDIT: I realized after the fact that Rich already answered this above.  :duh :duh :duh

Oh well... call it "theory reinforcement"?  :roll:
« Last Edit: March 27, 2016, 07:52:29 AM by djdube525 »

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2016, 06:26:49 AM »
Nick, do you have any other Squeezeboxes that are working?   

And, when you sit at the computer that is running LMS and browse to http://127.0.0.1:9000/ via your browser, does it work?

If so, then I suspect a reset of the SB 2 may be the ticket.  There are also LMS settings that could result in a blocked condition (Settings ->Advanced -> Security), but if you didn't change any of those for your SmartTV setup, then that's probably not the issue.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2016, 09:29:09 AM »
Thanks, everyone. Didn't do much yesterday except eat lots of ham and mashed potatoes......  This morning, I found that LMS diagnostics showed OK with all the diagnostics, yet there was still a failed connection. It suddenly showed OK after the latest reboot. I did locate where the 192 address is located, but haven't tried to change that to 9001 yet.

I did note that the SB 2 shows a server address of .17 while the LMS diagnostic box shows .14  I think an SB 2 reset may be in order, although I don't recall how to do that.

So I will wait for suggestions before I try anything right now. As to setting a permanent address on the router, it's a cable company leased unit and I wouldn't have a clue as to how to do that.

I have a message in to Shane to discuss the Auralic Aries Mini. I have a custom power supply for the SB 2 and I'd also like to have that set to the mini's 16v? Output vs the SB 2's 5v?  Any idea if that would be doable? I paid about $500 for the ps about 9 years ago.

Also, there was a response to a thread about a guy in New Jersey I think who was highly recommended. I saved the link, but can't find it
Thanks
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2016, 06:38:09 PM »
You should try Mike's experiment to see whether or not the webserver part of LMS is even functioning, despite the diagnostic's assurance.

Click these, one should work:
http://127.0.0.1:9000
http://127.0.0.1:9001
http://127.0.0.1:9002
That will confirm that your server is OK and the problem is in the SB2. It also tells you on which port LMS is listening.

To reset the SB2, unplug it. Then point the remote at the SB2 and hold the ADD button on the remote while you plug the SB2 back in. SB2 needs to see the remote signal when it first boots, so keep pointing it at SB while you plug it in. This will reset and start the setup procedure as if it were a new unit. This process will (should?) automatically set the LMS server IP correctly. But you could do it manually, as you suggested above, and possibly avoid the new setup.
http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Special_IR_Keys_on_Reboot_for_Factory_Reset_and_Last_FW

Use Dave's ipconfig technique above to determine what's the IP address of the LMS hosting machine. Then use my links above to determine which port LMS is monitoring for client requests. Then  put them together "192.168.1.xxx:900y" and enter into SB2 setup to see if you can jury rig it into submission. Good luck!

The new Aries mini seems like a neat device.

Perhaps your 5VDC power supply can be changed into a 16V power supply. The AC transformer would need to be changed to a higher voltage output transformer. If the regulator is adjustable (LM317 type or similar) then it might be adjustable to 16V. If it's a fixed 5V regulator like 7805 then it might be better to start from scratch with a new design power supply, if the Aurelic  supply proves inadequate. If you decide to change it to 16V, post some pictures of the inside so we can see what's up.
Rich

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 10:13:00 AM »
Well, the SB 2 is working again. Changing to 9001 did it! Again, I appreciate all the help. I keep learning more and more each time the SB 2 has a problem. I am looking into an Auralic Mini with linear ps upgraded power supply. It's probably better and cheaper overall not to change my current power supply. It'd would probably cost a $100 - $150 to do that. Maybe I can get a couple hundred for the SB 2. It does have a $500 power supply.

I would either do a 1 T internal storage HD or I have an option to purchase a synology nas with 6 T for maybe $500 or so. Lots of decisions. Also, there is a program that my Antelope dac can use to play DSD files. My limited experience with hearing DSD has been very positive.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS