Author Topic: Improve sound of cheap Best Buy TV  (Read 4932 times)

Offline malloy

• Obsessively Audiophilic
  • no grave concern for repercussion
Improve sound of cheap Best Buy TV
« on: July 28, 2017, 09:40:52 PM »
Can anyone recommend a cheap soundbar for my el cheapo Best Buy tv?

Most dialogue (except compressed commercials) of tv shows and movies is horrible.  All I can hear are loud crashes and sound effects.

Is it because the audio is mixed for multi-channel audio? Would a soundbar even make a difference? 

Thanks!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Improve sound of cheap Best Buy TV
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2017, 07:54:35 AM »
Can anyone recommend a cheap soundbar for my el cheapo Best Buy tv?

I like Definitive Technology for midfi home theater speakers. I have the smallest 5.1 set they ever made 15 years old and I am thrilled with them. Sometimes I wish my stereo sounded as well balanced. Deftech soundbar $600 list.

I never recommend buying cheap entertainment products, you'll always be disappointed. Watching TV (Listening to music) are pleasure activities, so disappointment is not welcome there. There are usually soundbars to be found on Craigslist.

Most dialogue (except compressed commercials) of tv shows and movies is horrible.  All I can hear are loud crashes and sound effects. Is it because the audio is mixed for multi-channel audio?

No. Multichannel mixes should theoretically have even more clarity than stereo. Dialogue comes mostly from the center channel. If it sounds bad, then you need to upgrade your sound hardware.

[/quote]Would a soundbar even make a difference? [/quote]
If the soundbar and the amp that powers it are better quality than the built in TV speakers then yes, the upgrade will make a difference.

If you are powering the new soundbar with TV's built in amps, then maybe not if the amps are part of the problem. Best bet is to take the SPDIF out of the TV into separate Rx to power the soundbar.