Author Topic: Mapleshade  (Read 6629 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Mapleshade
« on: August 12, 2014, 07:18:26 AM »
Has anyone seen the "construction techniques" of Mapleshade cables?  :shock:. They seems really crude, even worse than I could do in my man cave  :rofl:. But, do they sound good? They seem to know what they are doing as I consider their recordings some of the finest I have ever heard so they don't have tin ears. But the Franken cables? I dunno  :roll:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

GT Audio Works

Re: Mapleshade
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2014, 07:55:24 AM »
I have heard Mapleshade interconnect and speaker cables in my system, they sounded quite good. I had a customer come up for a speaker demo with his amp, preamp and cables. Yes they look quite kludge ish. They have a form follows function thing going. I will say the flat foil interconnects are extremely delicate and the power cords would be laughed out of the building at a UL certification.
The speaker cable is inexpensive and effective.
I also really like Pierre's recordings..very live feel. I use them for demos often.
Pierre follows his own road, no doubt. but I find him to be a very knowledgeable  and passionate guy.
I don't know what his evaluation policy is, but if he offers a return policy, what do you have to lose ?  Greg

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2014, 08:04:09 AM »
There was a guy I bought stuff from in Brooklyn and he really loved the Mapleshade wiring (ICs, SCs and Power cords) with his tube gear and HH Scott Integrated. He said the sound was full bodied and warm. The Mapleshade stuff was very delicate though and need space behind his gear so they can be seated properly. He was switching a power cord and the plastic outer sheath got torn. Then the guy had to get a repair kit from Mapleshade.

IMO if you are going to be doing a lot of swapping of cables I'd stay away.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2014, 08:20:07 AM »
  I own the active power cords and speaker cable. Very neutral sounding with a tilt towards a lively presentation. Not bright per say however with a bright sounding system stay away.
    Great with tubed gear. For power cords I use a combination of TWL and Mapleshade.
     Delicate ? yes tweaky ? yes The active series IMO are the real deal just expensive for most. If interested we have a Mapleshade dealer in our club . Sydney Goldberg.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2014, 08:49:53 AM »
Yea I don't know about reliability. i don't think i will futz with it if I have 2 good cables (CD and laptop sources) but if I have to switch a single cable between sources then i would look for something robust.
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

GT Audio Works

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »

IMO if you are going to be doing a lot of swapping of cables I'd stay away.
True..The guy who had the IC's had the RCA break off.

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 01:54:20 PM »
my power cord is broke :duh
very flimsy
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 02:50:07 PM »
very flimsy

You need to get one that's robust & designed to last a lifetime...  :rofl:

Cheers,  :beer:
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2014, 09:01:05 AM »
very flimsy

You need to get one that's robust & designed to last a lifetime...  :rofl:

Cheers,  :beer:
Pete

.... and sounds amazing to boot.  :thumb:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #9 on: August 13, 2014, 05:15:11 PM »
maybe Sydney can get my power cord fixed?
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 08:19:32 PM »
I haven't the nerve to try Mapleshade IC's or PC's, but their speaker cables are terrific. Been a user for years and I've tried many cables in my system. Absolutely the most transparent, and if you let them settle and your electronics are behaving, they are quite organic to boot.

Chris

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2014, 07:16:52 AM »
maybe Sydney can get my power cord fixed?

Just send it to mapleshade not expensive to do. Did the pins to the battery come off ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2014, 07:27:34 PM »
I'm trying a pair of Mapleshade Double Helix Plus speaker wire now and while listening I found this A'gon members thoughts on them.

" i would expect it to have excellent clarity and speed. Midrange should be quite lucid and liquid with smooth treble response that lacks glare or grain."

I'm finding this statement to be very true with the Double Helix Plus. I haven't had issues with bass like others have stated. I have gotten a slight bump in details vs the Morrow SP3 speaker cables I had in place.

One thing I do have to say though is in a tight space these cables are a pain in the butt to deal with, connect and route. IMO you really must have your amp out in the open to connect these wires easily. I had such an easier time with conventional speaker cables.

No immediate swapping for me with these cables. I might just leave them all over the place like I have them until I get the patience to try and re-route them again.

Offline chrisa

• Seeking Help
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 09:56:05 PM »
The bass slam and definition from my Mapleshade cables is unlike any other cable. They go low with authority in my system.

When I coil them, I do it around a mandril, and when I uncoil them I do it straight out in a line when creates a large diameter coiling that is easier to manage. I suspend them from the ceiling at the midpoint which keeps them off the floor.

I also find they also can sound nasty after uncoiling, so be patient for a day or two.