Author Topic: want recommendations for small 2 way speakers and powered sub  (Read 39652 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: want recommendations for small 2 way speakers and powered sub
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2017, 11:26:25 PM »
Would Kef LS50 work?  I have not heard them but they seem to get high praise on the net :)

D, yes there's lots of praise indeed. They are sold on Amazon and are $1,500. I read at least 50 reviews and a fair number of those were by seasoned audiophiles. It's lighter and smaller than my SP Techs and the bass response isn't comparable either, so there's a definite commitment to using a sub.  The Kefs are 85 dB sensitivity and 8 ohms.

One final thing....they look very similar to the SPs as well......
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 09:32:16 AM by Nick B »
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 12:05:12 AM »
What about these?

http://legacyaudio.com/products/view/calibre/
3 way + 2 passive radiators, standmount. Don't need a sub. Probably not much smaller than Timepieces, but slightly prettier.

If you have to go small, "The One" and "The 1+1" by Audience are worth checking out.

You can hide a subwoofer anywhere in the room as long as it crosses at or below 80Hz, and it's closer to your ears than the main speakers, so you can adjust the delay on the subs to match the mains arrival time. For music, it's gotta be a sealed sub. Ideally you'd have 4 subs hidden around the room so they would even out the bass response and minimize the bass modes. "Swarm" style. There are some nice in-wall subs available now that are virtually invisible with paintable metal grill.

Those are beautiful speakers from a great designer. But they are $5,500 and way out of my league  I will look at the audience speakers tomorrow..getting late here. There is no way I can do 4 subs and 2 would be max. Also, they would very likely have to be behind the main speakers. it would be the best i could do
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Triode Pete

• Industry Participant
  • Strive for Perfection, Settle on Excellence!
    • Link to System Details & Photos
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 06:44:40 AM »
I have heard these at many shows and they're pretty amazing...

http://www.nolaspeakers.com/products/brio_b.php

I ended picking up a brand-new Brio Trio set from Carl Marchisotto at his factory here on Long Island. If anyone is interested, they're still sealed in their original boxes... I have too much gear & too little time...

PM me if interested in a killer deal on superb, brand-new speakers...

Cheers,
Pete
www.TriodeWireLabs.com
WT Reference/Lyra Titan I
Quadratic Audio MC-1
Custom BorderPatrol preamp with phono & line stage
Innuos Statement Server
BorderPatrol S20 EXD w/EXS PS
Klipschorns - Volti hot-rodded
UberBUSS

Offline spm3

• Seeking Help
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 06:47:14 AM »
I went to this audio store yesterday - Park Avenue Audio - in NYC: http://www.parkavenueaudio.com/
It is a great store and the owner is super nice.
I was ready to spend like 3k on a new streamer and DAC, but he saved me 2.5k by saying I dont need any of that stuff because what I have now is the same or better! What a nice dude :D

Anyway, he showed us these small speakers he carries and I was blown away at how good it sounded for the size. And NO external sub was necessary!!! Had pretty good base.
The company is called: Boenicke Audio. And the model we listened to was their smallest one: W5 - http://boenicke-audio.ch/w5_c/
Highly recommend it, and you can listen to it at that store. I recommend both the speaker and the audio store haha :)

Shawn

Offline Hugh

• Obsessively Audiophilic
    • Angel City Audio
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 07:07:41 AM »
I went to this audio store yesterday - Park Avenue Audio - in NYC: http://www.parkavenueaudio.com/
I was ready to spend like 3k on a new streamer and DAC, but he saved me 2.5k by saying I dont need any of that stuff because what I have now is the same or better! What a nice dude :D

Anyway, he showed us these small speakers he carries and I was blown away at how good it sounded for the size. And NO external sub was necessary!!! Had pretty good base.
The company is called: Boenicke Audio. And the model we listened to was their smallest one: W5 - http://boenicke-audio.ch/w5_c/
Highly recommend it, and you can listen to it at that store. I recommend both the speaker and the audio store haha :)

Shawn

Those speakers are very good BUT they are not cheap either.

A long while back, we were considering them for The US market.
Hugh Nguyen
Angel City Audio
Exclusive Melody US Distributor

Offline topround

• Audio Neurotic
  • Life without Bach, would be a mistake
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 08:22:00 AM »
I would love to hear those speakers
System consists of an amp a preamp, 2 speakers a turntable and a phono preamp, Also some cables and power cords and a really cheap cd player.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 09:34:34 AM »
I have heard these at many shows and they're pretty amazing...

http://www.nolaspeakers.com/products/brio_b.php

I ended picking up a brand-new Brio Trio set from Carl Marchisotto at his factory here on Long Island. If anyone is interested, they're still sealed in their original boxes... I have too much gear & too little time...

PM me if interested in a killer deal on superb, brand-new speakers...

Cheers,
Pete

Pete, Pls shoot me a pm re the price
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 09:46:52 AM »

Shawn

Thanks for the link, Shawn. It's probably more than I want to spend, but I sent Boeicke an email about the W5 and pricing. I'm on the opposite side of the country...in So Utah within a couple of hours of Las Vegas
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 03:30:48 PM »

Shawn

Thanks for the link, Shawn. It's probably more than I want to spend, but I sent Boeicke an email about the W5 and pricing. I'm on the opposite side of the country...in So Utah within a couple of hours of Las Vegas
Nick

Hi Shawn,
I did get a hold of Boenicke and the price is in the $3 to $5 k range. Beautiful looking and wonderful sounding, I'm sure. But about that little thing called 💰💰...
You could start the "Nick B wants these speakers" fund 😀
On another note, I'm in touch with Pete about the Nola's...very good price
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 06:25:04 PM »
Nick I have been living with a pair of Nola Boxers for just about three years now and I am very happy with them. The pair he is selling is supped to be even better and I would have jumped all over them except for the fact that he told ne about them about a month after I bought two Carver subwoofers and at that point changing out the entire speaker system would have not done much to promote domestic harmony.  :roll:
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline tmazz

« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 06:34:25 PM »
Tell her "no."

:pop

I like that. ;)

Tell her what???  [-o< [-o<
Actually, I'm lucky to have her and I'd like to have a smaller setup as well. She's been great with my hobby.... I mean obssession. I will check out the Onix
Nick

Tell her YOU love HER. ;)

Tell her you love her and you think she lost weight.  ;)

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 08:35:11 PM »
Nick I have been living with a pair of Nola Boxers for just about three years now and I am very happy with them. The pair he is selling is supped to be even better and I would have jumped all over them except for the fact that he told ne about them about a month after I bought two Carver subwoofers and at that point changing out the entire speaker system would have not done much to promote domestic harmony.  :roll:

Tom,
Gotta pay attention to promote the domestic harmony thing! I read up on the Trios and some here praise them as well. My SPs have 8" mid woofers and the response is to the low 30s. The Trio has one powered sub , 8" driver. As I've mentioned, I've never used a sub, so the concern is am I going to lose a bit of bass, especially in having just one 8 inches.
I don't want to go "sideways" in performance. Has to be an increase. I am also thinking about computer audio. Can likely do one or the other, but not both 😢
Nick
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline tmazz

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 08:48:24 PM »
When I got the Boxers Nola was had stopped producing subs., so I asked Carl Marchisotto what kind of sub he would recommend for use with them. His response was to use the a sub with the smallest cone I could find because the woofer in the Boxers was so fast that a sub with a 10" or larger cone would not be able  to keep up with the Boxers and that the lower quanitity of bass would be more than offset the the higher level of integration you would get from a small cone sub. So I took his advise and ended up finding to Carver True Subwoofer Super Jrs. That gave me the speed to match the Boxers, a bit more output becuase of the stereo subs and a much more balanced bass presentation across the soundstage.

• Nola Boxers
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2017, 01:00:02 AM »
When I got the Boxers Nola was had stopped producing subs., so I asked Carl Marchisotto what kind of sub he would recommend for use with them. His response was to use the a sub with the smallest cone I could find because the woofer in the Boxers was so fast that a sub with a 10" or larger cone would not be able  to keep up with the Boxers and that the lower quanitity of bass would be more than offset the the higher level of integration you would get from a small cone sub. So I took his advise and ended up finding to Carver True Subwoofer Super Jrs. That gave me the speed to match the Boxers, a bit more output becuase of the stereo subs and a much more balanced bass presentation across the soundstage.

Tom,
Thanks much for your input. I read more about the Trios and listened to Peter Breunigars interview with Carl. What an interesting and impressive guy. He worked for Dahlquist in the 70s. As you mention, the use of a smaller 8" driver for speed and the use of paper cones for consistency of sound. Spot on imaging and huge soundstage. Non fatiguing top end and a small footprint. Excellent harmonics, analog like sound. Lots to like. This would be a step up from my SP Techs. So I will very likely pull the trigger on these.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2017, 12:30:35 PM »
I just sent Pete a PM. I'm getting the Nola's. This should be a perfect fit for my situation.
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS