Author Topic: Speaker swap  (Read 3102 times)

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
Speaker swap
« on: September 06, 2018, 03:46:52 PM »
After almost 8 years with my Onix Reference 3 with the Skying Ninja crossover upgrade, I think it time for new speakers.

However, putting house on the market again in 6 months, so there's that bit of uncertainty.

But Bill stopped by today, and suggested we pull the Vandersteen 2Ci out of the basement and hook them up, just to hear what change they bring.

Better imaging, more bass, but less presence at top end.

Now he's texting me ads for the Vandy 3A Signature model. If he gives me the $2500 I may just buy.

*A day later*

Swapped out the Hafler amp for the Classe 25 I bought from TMAZZ. New source amp and speakers, and now I have a completely different sounding system. The speakers needed a good few hours to 'loosen up' having not been used in over 3 years. By last night really began sounding good.

Started this morning with the CD 'Led Zeppelin ‎– BBC Sessions' and it was really good.

So then we decided to swap out the amp, and went through some difficult Dire Straits pieces.

Going to let it play the internet station Radio Paradise for awhile, then put on jazz and classical to see how it goes.

There was a dead spot yesterday in the lower mids for awhile, and the bass on the Kind Of Blue MoFi lp did not sound good at all. I'll try again after more warm-up.

Still, pretty happy with what I'm hearing.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: Speaker swap
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2018, 05:08:27 PM »
If he gives me the $2500 I may just buy.
   :rofl:

It will sound better with some playing time.
Revenge for not using them. :)

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2018, 05:43:00 PM »
Here you go Gene - Vandy 3a for just 1699

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2018, 05:55:34 PM »
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 02:19:43 PM »
Dee - I checked that add, those aren't the Signature version, and they're on the West Coast.

Pity, it's a good price.

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 03:15:54 PM »
Sorry Gene.  Maybe you can make an offer to the guy who has one for sale on Audiogon and another one on USAudiomart.  Both are located in NJ.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 11:46:58 AM »
Well, bought a pair of 3A Signatures, very, very pleased after 2 sessions. Hate to trot out the cliches but I'm definitely hearing further into the music, hearing things I never heard before in music I'm familiar with.

Mostly vinyl, lots of Jazz, with rock and Classical mixed in. A VPI SuperScoutMaster to EAR834 phono-pre with Telefunkens for tubes, a Purity One pre also with Telefunkens for tubes, and TMAZZ' old Classe 25 amp.

Pretty happy so far.  :thumb:

Next decision, do I spike or decouple? My floor is sunken, and springy. I asked Mr Vandersteen this question, but he was adamant that I spike. I give him credit for knowing what's best for his own product, yet logically it seems to me that decoupling would make sense.

Well, I have the Sound Anchor support with spikes so I'll start there, but see me decoupling in the future to at least try it.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Never owned Vandys, but liked the ones I’ve heard in extended listening sessions. Let us know which method works best
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS