Author Topic: HDTV tuner  (Read 6276 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
HDTV tuner
« on: December 14, 2011, 06:03:37 AM »
I have a digital TV without a tuner, a beautiful Toshiba 30"CRT with DVI input and black as tar blacks. I want to save some money and ditch DirecTV and pickup broadcast HDTV. What is the best box to do that?  Doesn't have to be DVR, just a tuner is fine.

Since new TVs have tuners there are fewer external tuners available anymore.
Thanks for any insights
Rich

Offline hometheaterdoc

• Obsessively Audiophilic
Re: HDTV tuner
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2011, 07:24:11 AM »
You should have bought the LG tuner I just sold to Dave at your last get together...  I've still got the Humax...  it will do exactly what you want and do it extremely well...

http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=3473.0

It's HDMI out but has analog RCA outputs as well... you'll need an HDMI to DVI adapter or a HDMI-DVI cable...  also here if you wish...

it does exactly what you want it to do... the bonus of the LG was that it did clear QAM.... if you have roadrunner, it would pull in the stations off the upper bands of the cable signal without having to deal with an antenna....  but you're so close to the towers down there, it likely wouldn't matter... a small omni in your room will likely be more than enough...  I'm not sure the Humax did clear QAM... I think it was an over the air only.... but my memory is foggy since the last time I used it...  I liked the onscreen guide of the Humax, though...

Shane
Shane Sangster
Used to be Night & Day Audio.......

Offline richidoo

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2011, 07:37:06 AM »
Bingo! I'll take it

We don't have cable, so all I want is broadcast.

Oh, and Bob in St Louis gave me a DVI>HDMI adapter so I'm all set there. Thanks BISL
and Thanks Shane!
Rich
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 07:39:40 AM by richidoo »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2011, 08:11:09 AM »
Shane, is there an ATSC tuner in that Tivo HD that you are selling?  That would be even better   aa

Maybe I could take both since I have two TVs, and put my DVD-R with the Humax.

Offline TooManyToys

• Seeking Help
  • Jersey Shore (Not Seaside!)
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2011, 09:07:16 AM »
Man you guys are quick.  I was going to offer my second old Sony DTV receiver.  These had a great OTA picture.

First one sold:  http://www.ebay.com/itm/120808175046?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1559.l2649
If it's too loud, you're too middle aged.

Offline etcarroll

• Audio Neurotic
  • spin it!
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2011, 11:57:00 AM »
May not matter that the Humax doesn't do clear QAM, I read an article this morning that it may be on the way out.
"...if you want to enjoy your gear, don't listen to anything that might be better."

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2011, 01:09:52 PM »
Too many toys, thanks!

I was just looking through the user manual for the Sony
http://www.directv.com/learn/pdf/System_Manuals/Sony/Sony_SAT-HD300.pdf
Looks nice. The tuners are still selling as commodity items on Ebay, but I don't think anyone makes new ones anymore.

Someone who needs DirecTV will get better use of yours than me. I already have two old DirecTV DVRs, so I just need a basic tuner.  Thanks again
Rich

Offline TooManyToys

• Seeking Help
  • Jersey Shore (Not Seaside!)
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2011, 04:36:32 PM »
Rich,

No they don't.  These cost me $700 at the time of purchase (not through DTV. 

I don't think it can be used with DTV as it's MPEG-2.  But out of the DTV units incorporating OTA tuners that I have had, these displayed the best OTA picture.  When I first got my DTV HRs I had the DTV come out with others as I thought I got a bad pair.

The person I sold that other one to is using it for OTA only, hence the common ~$45 price.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2011, 04:39:22 PM by TooManyToys »
If it's too loud, you're too middle aged.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2011, 04:50:43 PM »
I'm used to S-video, so no matter which I end up with, it will probably be a step up.
Thanks