Author Topic: SP technology speakers  (Read 40004 times)

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #30 on: April 21, 2007, 12:51:31 PM »
I can understand that, shep.  We all have our favorites, and that you have a long and happy love affair w/ Maggies makes things perfectly clear.  That said, I think you'd be surprised at how well the SP Techs will do the things Maggies do best.  

For instance, many have deemed Quad '57s the most transparent loudspeaker ever produced, forever and ever, amen.  Yet a brief perusal of this post by Bica reveals a happy owner surprised to find the Timepieces even more transparent than his '57s.  And remember... this gentleman's Timepieces are once or twice removed from the latest updates, and include none of the Mundorf options currently rocking AC.  :shock:

Factor-in the incredible aural and visceral dynamics, sub-30 Hz bass (anechoic) from a monitor and the complete lack of "box" speaker sound and you have a fairly amazing transducer IMHO.  Further, given the stock condition and claimed performance of the aforementioned Timepieces, it's clear that imbibing at the bar of top-end Mundorf parts and external crossovers isn't necessary to have superlative pair of speakers.  

But you have what looks to be a mighty fine speaker in your Dutch TL, and you've expressed your affection for them often enough to know you certainly aren't suffering in an auditory abyss.  As my wife says, "you can't miss what you don't know you don't have."  As long as you don't hear a pair, you will soon forget what I and others have said about SP Tech speakers.  After all, we've nothing to offer beyond our subjective impressions, and some of those include little to nothing in the way of quantification or qualification.  And as you astutely pointed out, "Haven't we all heard about the Ultimate killer product before? and before that..."    :wink:

Take care, my friend.  Should your aversion to travel ever diminish, you are welcome in my humble abode.

-Jim

shep

SP technology speakers
« Reply #31 on: April 21, 2007, 02:25:15 PM »
Thanks. I hope I don't give the impression that I'm trying to sabotage anyones enthusiasm for this design. This is far from my intent. I guess I'm just playing devils advocate...where are the "best of the best" of yore?
Where does the persuit of excellence stop? Does it ever? We have all had our audio epiphanies, that marked us indelibly and fueled our individual quest for a constant repeat. Given the fleeting nature of this experience, I'm not sure that it can ever be anchored down. Mine was most certainly hearing my first Maggies in a store, driven by some AR solid state amps. I bought both and it took a long time to recreate that experience and intense frustration! In any event I will follow this all closely to be sure. I am not silly enough to imagine my little Dutch TLs are of this caliber...but they seem to fit my head/heart space just right and the price was ridiculous and makes me smile. Isn't it nice to get a great deal!

WEEZ

SP technology speakers
« Reply #32 on: April 21, 2007, 03:49:10 PM »
Yup. I fully understand fondness...and even worship for maggies. When in the sweet spot, they are sublime.

shep, if your Dutch TL's come even close to that sweetness...you have indeed found a bargain. I'll bet their sweet spot is bigger to boot.

WEEZ

shep

SP technology speakers
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2007, 12:47:53 AM »
You're right, the sweet spot is wider. The bass is deeper and better integrated, the tweeter is very special (I know cause I had the Dynaudio Esotars in my last coffins) I guess they speak with one voice and in this sense they are better than any Maggies I've had or heard (this is going back some years) Clearly the X'over is MUCH better than any unmodded
M. So what's missing? the Image hight and sense of walk-into-the performance. They are probably not as tactile-sounding either. I suspect a lot is going to change for me in another room and with the new amp (to say nothing of Grover's cables. Don't forget I'm using 15 year old Straight Wire at present...I gave up on the DH labs silver. They are much more mechanical sounding than the SW)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
SP technology speakers
« Reply #34 on: April 27, 2007, 04:43:25 PM »
Finally getting around to reading more about SP and Timepieces. Nothin but love so far!  :D  Link to mfg's website here.

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #35 on: April 27, 2007, 08:45:18 PM »
Speaking of SP Tech, it appears my quest for ultimate loudspeakers may be on indefinite hold.  :(

We made an offer on a house today that doesn't have a room suitable for the Timepieces, much less the "Full Monty" Revelations I've ordered.  While that may seem insane to some, our reasons for moving are valid.  Further, we didn't really bid on the 2600 sq. ft. house, but for the 3+ acres upon which it resides.  The neighborhood represents a significant step up (the home next door was a Southern Living House of the Year), and the school system is *MUCH* better than the one my 9-year old stepson is currently attending.  

I guess this post is essentially an audio vent.  The house is barely adequate size-wise, but the location and property are amazing.  Still, the thought of giving up my system for an indefinite period has me a little dazed.  I've even considered selling my equipment and starting over if/when my fiscal strength is again sufficient to warrant the addition of a dedicated audio/video room.  I doubt I'd sell the Butler Monads or Stealth Cables Indra; they're rare pieces, and absolutely stellar performers IMHO.  

I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say.  Dazed, stunned, whatever.  Add in the 4 Percocet and 2 Lyrica I've had today and I'll likely be embarrassed when I read this post tomorrow.  Disjointed...nonsensical...

I'm sorry, guys.  I saw the new post about SP Tech and it reminded me of what I'm likely about to give up.  I guess I needed a release.   :?

Anyway, I'll know whether or not the bid was accepted by noon tomorrow.  Family will *ALWAYS* take precedence over audio, so I hope everything goes as planned.

-Jim

lonewolfny42

SP technology speakers
« Reply #36 on: April 27, 2007, 11:10:31 PM »
Good luck Jim !!
If you will have 3+ acres .....I see a nice audio (extension) room in your future. 8)
If you need me to hold on to the Butler amps till your ready....just let me know.
My TP's will be coming back from Daniel's on May 6th. :wink:
Take care of yourself....

Chris

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
SP technology speakers
« Reply #37 on: April 27, 2007, 11:41:55 PM »
Quote from: "Double Ugly"
Speaking of SP Tech, it appears my quest for ultimate loudspeakers may be on indefinite hold.  :(

We made an offer on a house today that doesn't have a room suitable for the Timepieces, much less the "Full Monty" Revelations I've ordered.  While that may seem insane to some, our reasons for moving a valid.  Further, we didn't really bid on the 2600 sq. ft. house, but for the 3+ acres upon which it resides.  The neighborhood represents a significant step up (the home next door was a Southern Living House of the Year), and the school system is *MUCH* better than the one my 9-year old stepson is currently attending.  

I guess this post is essentially an audio vent.  The house is barely adequate size-wise, but the location and property are amazing.  Still, the thought of giving up my system for an indefinite period has me a little dazed.  I've even considered selling my equipment and starting over if/when my fiscal strength is again sufficient to warrant the addition of a dedicated audio/video room.  I doubt I'd sell the Butler Monads or Stealth Cables Indra; they're rare pieces, and absolutely stellar performers IMHO.  

I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say.  Dazed, stunned, whatever.  Add in the 4 Percocet and 2 Lyrica I've had today and I'll likely be embarrassed when I read this post tomorrow.  Disjointed...nonsensical...

I'm sorry, guys.  I saw the new post about SP Tech and it reminded me of what I'm likely about to give up.  I guess I needed a release.   :?

Anyway, I'll know whether or not the bid was accepted by noon tomorrow.  Family will *ALWAYS* take precedence over audio, so I hope everything goes as planned.

-Jim

Hope all goes as you planned. Family does indeed come first and the audio part will work out. Sorry to hear about your pain problems. I had back injections 2 weeks ago, but the need for pain meds has been limited to some home-made margueritas. Get better quick and enjoy your great system
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
SP technology speakers
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2007, 04:39:11 AM »
Quote from: "Double Ugly"

We made an offer on a house today that doesn't have a room suitable for the Timepieces, much less the "Full Monty" Revelations I've ordered.  While that may seem insane to some, our reasons for moving a valid.  Further, we didn't really bid on the 2600 sq. ft. house, but for the 3+ acres upon which it resides.  The neighborhood represents a significant step up (the home next door was a Southern Living House of the Year), and the school system is *MUCH* better than the one my 9-year old stepson is currently attending.  

-Jim
Yikes, I'm hoping the drugs wear off (and your pain) and this isn't really happening.   I was (selfishly) pretty psyched to start hearing about the "Ultimate" Revelations.  This is never easy stuff but, except for the music part, it's all good, as they say.  I see a music room in the future too.  With 3 acres to work with that's a lot of runway.   Best of luck to you and all the changes.    

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2007, 05:45:39 AM »
Thanks for the well-wishes, fellas.  Looking back now (sans Percocet and Lyrica), the post isn't too embarrassing, aside from sounding more than a little whiney.  Never cared for whiney, being a manly man and all... :wink:

Anyway, we'll know something soon.  Tick, tick, tick...

-Jim

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
SP technology speakers
« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2007, 05:56:32 AM »
Good luck.  The things we do for kids and family....

Maybe you don't have to give it all up all the way.  Maybe a little pair of M+D Rubies people are raving about in a nearfield setup?

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

SP technology speakers
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2007, 06:16:58 AM »
Good luck, Jim.

I have a sneaky feeling things will work out for family AND audio.

best,

Don

Double Ugly

SP technology speakers
« Reply #42 on: April 28, 2007, 06:25:15 AM »
Thanks, Bryan.

Statement retracted because it was erroneous.  My source(s) in this case are apparently mistaken.

WEEZ-
Thanks.  Now I guess you know why I haven't set up a weekend for us to get together yet.  :wink:

As for audio, we'll see.  I'll certainly have the room to add-on, but having the $$$ to do it is the issue.  We plan to knock out a wall to enlarge and remodel the kitchen first (BIG $$$ here!) and we'll eventually add-on a *new* master BR and bath.  The dedicated room with be part of that addition plan... I hope.  :shock:

-Jim

miklorsmith

SP technology speakers
« Reply #43 on: April 28, 2007, 08:28:32 AM »
Wowsers, you've done the right thing even if it hurts.  Had you chosen otherwise, guilt would have contaminated your Glory Sounds.

It sucks though.  You've been on quite a journey and Just Got There, a cruel twist.

I would do the same, *sigh*.  Good luck with all, hopefully you'll fall into some dough and be back up and listening in no time.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
SP technology speakers
« Reply #44 on: April 28, 2007, 09:40:26 AM »
I'm glad my post was a trigger for your catharsis, Jim, but not glad to hear about you discomfort. I hope you're feeling better now.

I made that post because you got me all hot and bothered over these SP speakers now, "Thank you very much" :evil:  I was reading your review on AC from '04 and grinned when I read about your wife and son dancing. My son is same age 8 soon 9 and we call him Bud too. We dance all the time in the sound room. I also have 2 others younger. We survived the same journey you are starting now with a move to a new house for the same reasons, centered around providing for our growing family. It is a big change but in the end it was worth it. At least your is already built! AHHHHHH! :shock:

I was just getting started in hifi at the old house and didn't realize how good I had it over there. I had a detached garage with a 15 x 25 room above, with angled ceilings, dedicated power panel and no noise restrictions. At that time my idea of good sound was my onkyo receiver, samsung DVD player and tiny deftech sat/sub! But I had bought the Focus speakers knowing they would soon come live in the big house.

Now we're in this big house and the sound room (family room, like yours) is beautiful to look at but is presenting a huge challenge acoustically with large openings, and untreatable walls. But the important thing is there are more kids to make friends, better schools, more space for all our junk, and a much better $ appreciation curve than the old house. But there is not a room in the house that is really suitable for a good hifi sound room, except my kids playroom, which I have been informed is off limits. Our next door neighbor got a full basement and I am so jealous! They don't use it for anything! Somehow I'll find a way to work it out. And so will you! Now I gotta hurry up and get my butt down to hear your timepieces before the movers come! Good luck on the bid!
Rich