Author Topic: Theoretical speaker question  (Read 26960 times)

Offline mca

• Certifiable
Theoretical speaker question
« on: March 08, 2007, 01:29:48 PM »
Say you had two pairs of speakers in your house. Each pair could be sold for about $2,500.00 netting you a total of $5,000.00.

Now say you wanted to spend that money on a used pair of speakers. What would you be looking at to audition?
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

miklorsmith

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2007, 01:52:45 PM »
So, the Adagios aren't working out for you, theoretically?

My upgrade philosophy includes a little padding, so if I have $5k to spend on speakers, I could stretch that to $6,500 if The Right Speakers were that much.

What do you want to use for amps?  How deep do you need the bass to go?  What are your hot buttons that make you swoon?

I'll get to thinkin' about that for ya.

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2007, 02:07:34 PM »
It was just a what the hell thought. A used set of speakers in the 5-6k range would have sold new for 10-12k or more. I have never really listened to  anything in that range. Maybe they would be so good as to make listening to music exciting again.
Modwright Transporter, Ayon Spirit II Integrated, Daedalus Ulysses speakers, Running Springs Haley conditioner, Reality cables, Black Sand Violet PC's.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2007, 02:12:48 PM »
All good questions - coupled with the fact that there would be a TON of choices out there - new and used that would fall in that price range.

Having spoken to you over the phone, the anwers to the questions posed above are important.  Integration with a sub or not is a key thing to consider.  Active xover?  Monitors with sub?  Full range tower only?

I'll just say that given your room and the requirements/potential issues, a monitor/sub with active xover would be on my radar.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2007, 02:16:00 PM »
It's fun thinking about spending someone else's money  :lol:

If I were looking in the $5k range; and was using the 3205 amp; I would certainly try to audition a pair of these:

www.coincidentspeaker.com/partial.htm

A little under your price and brand new with all the tricked out options...

:)

WEEZ

miklorsmith

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2007, 02:43:56 PM »
There's a ridiculous list of used stuff on Agon.  Some of it is like $13k+ new in that range.   :shock:

Some of them are local-ish.  That would be slick.

You should enlist the help of your local buddies to come on by and try to assist.  There's only so much to be done on the web!

Hint - you should invite me over soon.   :D

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2007, 02:47:47 PM »
I just did under another ward. You and your 70s  :D

miklorsmith

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2007, 02:49:51 PM »
Ward, not circle, that's for the Roundies at the other merry-go-round.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2007, 12:23:40 AM »
mca/Mike....Have you heard the Salk speakers....the HT3's ? A very nice speaker...good bass, a nice midrange, and detailed highs.
Your missing the music with the Adagios.... :?
And yes....I've heard both.

Chris

miklorsmith

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2007, 07:28:44 AM »
I haven't heard the HT3s though I certainly would like to.

mca - that's what *we're* getting, OK?   :lol:

WEEZ

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2007, 07:52:05 AM »
The HT3's are really good. But they need a bit more amplifier than a 3205.

WEEZ

Offline mca

• Certifiable
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2007, 09:53:34 AM »
A couple of Audiogon ad's that caught my eye:

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1178049395

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1176767578

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1176767578

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?spkrfull&1176008128

I like the look of the Salk HT3, but without the front baffle and in a simple veneer like rosewood. When I look at them, I can't help but think how large a chunk of the money goes towards the woodwork of the cabinets.

If a new speaker called for more power, I would be very curious to try out a Van Alstine or Channel Islands amp. Or in my dreams a big McIntosh...

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 10:16:33 AM »
Of those, the Vandy's are the only one's I'd consdier for your setup.  The Coincidences and their side firing woofers are going to cause issues with your setup IMO.

The Piegas are gorgeous - would love to have a set - but I don't know that a 3205 is going to get it with them.

Just my 2 cents.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

miklorsmith

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2007, 10:24:06 AM »
I don't know people's experiences shipping giant speakers across the country via Agon purchases, but mine was marginal.  I'd definitely talk to the seller about packing experience and technique.  Any damage is going to be a bear to work out.

You'll get to hear the big brothers of those Coincidents this w/e.

Remember how much luck you've had buying speakers you haven't heard.  Also remember how much of a PAIN it is to ship speakers to the next buyer if you don't like them.  There's another opportunity for the shippers to smash your speakers and I can't imagine it's any more fun for the seller than the buyer with such problems.

The *cost* of buying and selling speakers is much greater than just the pricetag.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2007, 10:52:28 AM »
If for no other reason, you would enjoy an audition of Legacy Audio speakers. They moved to new factory last year and the line is being redesigned so older models' prices will drop further.  :(   Older models have been available used for far less than your target.

I have Focus 2020 and I can't imagine ever getting rid of it. It does everything really well on relatively low power, but can take up to 400watts if you have it. Kinda big and heavy though. And you will need a room that has (or can get) good bass response, because it will easily play below 20Hz.

I have heard HT3 and also Adagio in good setups. They were both truly excellent for small speakers, but there is just no substitute for square inches, except square feet - driver area, that is...  :wink:

Rich