Author Topic: For those pesky heavy power cables that want...  (Read 6817 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
For those pesky heavy power cables that want...
« on: March 09, 2018, 02:09:22 PM »
to fall out of the wall, try this: invert the wall receptacle so the ground pin is on the top.  That way the strongest grip is at the top of the plug doing the most good.  Even if the weight of the cable is trying to work with gravity (there is that physics thing again) the blade contacts will retain more of the blade in the receptacle.

I keep forgetting to post simple things like this.  Hopefullly you are all ahead of me here.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: For those pesky heavy power cables that want...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2018, 04:06:53 PM »
Good idea!

Electricians often install switched outlets upside down, so you don't have to search for it the hard way. But without guidance they often put the switched outlet in the worst possible location.  :duh

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 09:42:01 PM »
Good idea!

Electricians often install switched outlets upside down, so you don't have to search for it the hard way. But without guidance they often put the switched outlet in the worst possible location.  :duh
Yeah, having the ground pin on top is the way all commercial wiring used to be done.  I don't know why they went away from that standard.  Learned that from my Dad.

Without guidance Sparky will do many things to confound mere mortals.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 09:53:11 AM »
Good idea!

Yeah, having the ground pin on top is the way all commercial wiring used to be done.  I don't know why they went away from that standard.  Learned that from my Dad.

It was (and still should be) done with pin on top for safety. If anything metal happens to fall or slide down a wall and miraculously fits itself between the plug and the wall plate, it would hit the pin, rather than short everything out across the two spades.

SN
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 01:58:22 PM »
Good idea!

It was (and still should be) done with pin on top for safety. If anything metal happens to fall or slide down a wall and miraculously fits itself between the plug and the wall plate, it would hit the pin, rather than short everything out across the two spades.

SN

Wow Bill, you are starting to sound like an engineer.  ;)
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline dBe

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2018, 09:06:29 PM »
Good idea!

SN
I remember when my grandson Kyle dropped a dime down a plug.  Spectacular!

When I was about 3 I stuck a bobby pin in a socket.  That is the only memory I have from that age.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2018, 08:18:38 AM »
  Good advice Dave. The real question is why there is a falling out. Din ? Contact pressure ? Both ?

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline dBe

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2018, 09:31:44 AM »
  Good advice Dave. The real question is why there is a falling out. Din ? Contact pressure ? Both ?

charles
It is a combination of polished surfaces and gravity.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2018, 11:00:28 AM »
 Thanks. Powercon baby I'm beginning to dislike IECs as well. I want tight.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline _Scotty_

• “Sic transit gloria mundi”
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2018, 11:19:21 AM »
Contact resistance is a function of contact surface area available to conduct current. The more contact area you have the cooler the switch or receptacle will operate. When we upgrade to a high quality low resistance wall receptacle it seems that the design of the receptacle frequently has insufficient contact pressure to hold our over engineered power cords in place.
 Power cords and receptacles designed for higher current applications usually have a twist lock design which prevents inadvertent disconnection of the power cord from the receptacle and potential arcing problems.
 Contact pressure past a certain point does nothing to lower electrical resistance.
Scotty

Offline dBe

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2018, 10:21:20 PM »
Thanks. Powercon baby I'm beginning to dislike IECs as well. I want tight.

charles
Neutrik PowerCon connectors are great!  It is my personal opinion that the 250VAC/32A connector set is the best high current electrical connector made.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2018, 11:23:21 AM »
  Perfect connector that ALL components should have. While I'm at it a circuit breaker instead of current limiting fuse.  :drool:

charles

Offline dBe

« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2018, 07:52:56 PM »
  Perfect connector that ALL components should have. While I'm at it a circuit breaker instead of current limiting fuse.  :drool:

charles
Only circuit breakers that I like are Carling magnetic ones like Gigawatt uses.  I've used many over the years and have only good things to say about them.  I'll have to check available ratings.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
   Gigawatt has them designed to their specs and sell them. I would think being a non Engineer that a fuse would limit current flow and the breaker not. ???
charles