Author Topic: P.I audio group future...  (Read 5525 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
P.I audio group future...
« on: November 12, 2018, 05:04:59 PM »
All,

I'm beginning to think that I will be closing up the retail P.I. audio group end of the business.

I have been thinking about this for some time due to family health issues.  They are not life threatening for me, but are related to physical limitations imposed by my arthritis and spinal problems.  There are just some days that I can not do the physical work of slamming 125lb+ pieces of materials around in the shop. 

There are other issues that are not cogent here and do not relate to me directly. 

In addition to this, I have had spinal pain and severe cramping resulting from my near fatal accident in 2012.  I was out of business for over 6 months then and worked as hard as I could to get back in the swing of things.  Recently arthritis has been extremely active in my hands and it makes fine work hard, if not near impossible in some instances.

Times have changed and I'm just tired.

Due to a recent development I have decided to step back and consider what my future is.

My gut tells me to bag the whole thing, but personal finances dictate that I not do that.  Gotta eat and pay the bills.

Plans at this time dictate that I step back and let reason and prayer guide me.

Admittedly, I have never been the fastest guy in the business, but have done my best to meet commitments and unfortunately occasionally failed to meet them due to limitations not of my choice, but reality is driving my efforts.

I recently had a situation arise that is shaping my future.  There are some "clients" that cannot be accommodated, no matter what my best efforts can be or are.  Reality is not a consideration.  I hate shippers.

I still have return rate of ~ 0.3%.  I am proud of this and building to this standard is time and effort consuming.

So, I will be scaling back, doing contract and custom work.  I will be serving my existing client (and friend :thumb: base), so all is not lost.  You all mean too much to me!

Prices will necessarily rise... they've been too damned cheap for way too long.  Unfortunately, no matter how hard an old guy like me works to satisfy individuals (paying or not) it is never good enough.

Time for the AUDIBLE DIFFERENCE to come to being.

Thank all of you for the business, kind words and appreciation that has come to me over that last 9 years.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2018, 08:40:10 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline S Clark

• Audio Neurotic
Re: P.I audio group future...
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2018, 06:00:35 PM »
Dave,
You've got a lot of loyal clients and friends in the audio business, and all of them wish you the best as you decide how you wish to move forward.  I know the past few years have been physically difficult for you, and if you decide it's time to scale back, then that's what you need to do.  I know you'll make your decisions wisely and with advise from your live in counselor and best friend.  Regardless of what you decide to do, I'm privileged to call you a friend.
Best,
Scott
Speaker-GR Research LS9-XStatik-AltecFlamenco
Amp-Moscode,Dodd,Folsom
Pre-Dodd
Turntable-Vyger,Victor,TechnicSP10MK2
Phonopre-Hagermann,Jolida,GSlee   
Cable-AudioSensibility Wywires TWL
Cartridge-Dynavector,Sumiko
Tonearm-PioneerP3,Jelco
Rythmic sub

Offline dflee

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2018, 06:17:46 PM »
You are and always will be one of best guys I've ever known. I am thankful for your presents in my life and in my stereo.

Nit
"Enjoy pleasure, not because it is fleeting, but because it exists at all." Sacrament, Clive Barker.

Offline mresseguie

« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2018, 07:25:33 PM »
Dave,

On the one hand, I'm bummed to read this. OTOH, I'm not surprised by this decision. I don't know the headaches you put up with, but I can imagine them based on my own experiences. [ :duh]

You've contributed a helluva lot to this industry and you make fantastic products (and awesome steaks). All I can say is THANK YOU! Find that happy medium where you can still sell some merchandise while at the same time enjoying yourself as much as possible.

Peace,

Michael
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2018, 07:25:33 AM »
Dave,  it has been a pure pleasure getting to know you online over the years, and equally important, enjoying your products.   Please don't let the few assholes and idiots of the world get in your way of enjoying your life and what you do best.   You do make a difference, you have made a difference, and I'm certain you will continue to do so - even if on a scaled back approach.   

Best of luck on the road ahead, Dave!   :thumb: :thumb:

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2018, 08:44:13 AM »
  Dave I understand 100%. The business is just not the same. Your knowledge, experience and products have brought joy to many. The everyday workings of designing, building, shipping and Audiophiles can wear on the parade.
As I have suggested to you several times hook up with a company that can produce your designs and use with theirs. I can think of someone right here. Can we say ???? and it is not me.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2018, 12:10:31 PM »
Dave,
You contribute so much and your Uber is the best product I’ve ever used! It’s good, sometimes, to take a step back and reflect. Hopefully, the many happy customers who appreciate you and your products will outweigh the few who can make your life miserable
Thanks for everything!
Nick
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 03:46:55 PM »
Dave,
You contribute so much and your Uber is the best product I’ve ever used! It’s good, sometimes, to take a step back and reflect. Hopefully, the many happy customers who appreciate you and your products will outweigh the few who can make your life miserable
Thanks for everything!
Nick
People have very little to do with all of this in actuality.  My struggles have been primarily self inflicted by doing too much grunt work out in the shop by myself.  I have tried to find assistants that will do the quality of work that I demand from myself and that is the difficult part.  Primarily the issue is my spinal problems.  I can be just fine one moment, turn around to pick up something relatively light  and blow the back out.  Ii have had periods of a month that I just couldn't do physically demanding work because of a mis-step.  My hands aren't all that good either, but I can work around them most of the time.  Osteoporosis and essentially inoperable spine issues suck.  When I saw the surgeon after my biopsy he told me that the odds of success versus a wheel chair and he was reluctant to do it anyway.  I blew that off during our consultation.  The look of horror on Gayle's face at the thought of me in a wheelchair was all it took.

There are a lot of factors in play and clientele is a very small part of them, but one that must be considered along with the familial and medical ones.  One of the big ones is my infernal luck with shippers.  Since I started doing this bit of life's journey I have had shipping (or lack thereof) account for over $10K in unrecoverable losses and that is not a small thing to a cottage industry guy like me.  What transpired over the last week and a half is a BIG part of what is driving my decision making.  The people that I have tried to deal with getting the whole cluster resolved were unable and seemingly unwilling to help me sort this out.  To say that this kind of thing is grinding is an understatement.  Stupid me, I just expect the system(s) to work.  99% of the time they do, but when they don't it is a pisser for me and my clients. 

Final analysis: the buck stops here.  Reality often has no influence on observation or opinion.

Whine over.

There are some plans in their infancy.  We'll just have to see how they play out. I can't and don't want to quit working.  I watched too many people retire and rust to death.  Ain't my way.

Thank you for all of the kind comments. 
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:02:07 PM by P.I. »
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline StereoNut

• Audio Neurotic
  • So much great music, so little time!
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 04:11:38 PM »
Hi Dave

I wish you well in all of your future endeavors; scaled back or not. You are a credit to this very often unforgiving industry/hobby.  I am happy to be a client and enjoy the fruit of your labor. Take a step back, a deep breath and review the overall picture. Re-set your priorities as needed and do what's ultimately best for DAVE. Especially, health-wise.

All the best to you.

Bill
(SN)
"Friends, Romans & Countrymen; lend me your ears"

• Primaluna Dialogue Tube Pre-Amp
• N.Y.A.L. Moscode 600 Amp
• Bolder/EE Minimax DAC
• Cambridge D-500SE CDP
• Von Schweikert 2012 Mod.VR-4 Gen.III speakers
• VPI Prime/Soundsmith MMP3/DV20x2H
• T.W.L

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2018, 11:35:51 AM »
Something I need to clarify about my future is this:

Audio Nervosa members are always welcome to buy products from me as long as I am physically able to build them.  Kind of a "protected class", even if I despise that term.

Ya'll SPECIAL! :thumb:

Offline Folsom

« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2018, 07:34:40 PM »
That's nice of you. Nothing like someone to at least keep some legacy things going on - as opposed to the vast number of people that literally just walk away from all communication. BTW you still never did email me...

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #11 on: December 10, 2018, 11:12:13 PM »
That's nice of you. Nothing like someone to at least keep some legacy things going on - as opposed to the vast number of people that literally just walk away from all communication. BTW you still never did email me...
Dude!  I am so sorry.  We were traveling quite a bit lately and I probably just missed it among the 60 or so emails I get a day.  I’ll be in touch tomorrow, one way or another.

You rock, Jeremy!  :thumb:

Offline steve

• Audiologist
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2019, 10:10:22 PM »
I know where you are coming from Dave. Hope you will maximize your peace and enjoy life.

Although I am so blessed with an incredible preamplifier line during my working years,
after I retired is when I made the greatest strides with my monoblock amps and a pair of
home designed speakers, phono stage as well. No pressure, just enjoying life, which I hope you do as well.

Continue to tinker at your leisure, lower your blood pressure, grab a beer, and enjoy the music, Dave.

All the best.

steve
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 10:13:38 PM by steve »
Steve Sammet (Owner, Electron Eng, SAS Audio Labs, Ret)
SAS "V" 39pf/m 6N copper ICs,
SAS Test Phono Stage
Acutex 320 STR Mov Iron Cart
SAS 11A Perfect Tube Preamp
SAS 25 W Ref Triode/UL Monoblocks
2 way Floor Standing Test Speakers

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2019, 04:21:09 PM »
I know where you are coming from Dave. Hope you will maximize your peace and enjoy life.

Although I am so blessed with an incredible preamplifier line during my working years,
after I retired is when I made the greatest strides with my monoblock amps and a pair of
home designed speakers, phono stage as well. No pressure, just enjoying life, which I hope you do as well.

Continue to tinker at your leisure, lower your blood pressure, grab a beer, and enjoy the music, Dave.

All the best.

steve
Thanks, Steve. I get it, finally. 

We beat our brains out trying to build the best gear that we can of too little money and deal with our original price fixing seemingly forever.

All I have wanted to do in this insane industry is bring what I have found that works for me to others at a reasonable price to the end consumer.  Given that I have an overall return rate of less than 0.3% I consider what I have done to be a success.  I just wish I had made more $$$, but that was never my main goal.  Contribution to the art of reproduction has been what drives me.  Still does.  It is just that my semi-retirement is in semi-retirement. I always appreciate a challenge!

A brandy at the end of a long day while listening to great music with my lovely bride Gayle is the absoute best.

Rock on, Brother, :thumb:
« Last Edit: January 03, 2019, 07:11:38 PM by Nick B »

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2019, 07:37:46 PM »

A brandy at the end of a long day while listening to great music with my lovely bride Gayle is the absoute best.

It doesn't get any better than that. 
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables