Author Topic: Favorite audiophile labels?  (Read 7183 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Favorite audiophile labels?
« on: March 13, 2007, 01:54:26 PM »
OK you got a nice stereo. What to play on it? What label has the most consistent audiophile quality recordings?

Reference Recordings are my favorite. I think they are my best recordings. The performances are also excellent. I have 3 of them, and all have incredible clarity and power. Dr. Johnson knows what he is doing. Respigi Pines of Rome (won best classical recording grammy,) Exotic dances from the opera, and Felix Hell Organ. Just when I think I need an upgrade component, I put these on and suddenly the system sounds just fine!

Alison Krauss CDs like So Long So Wrong and New Favorite sound fantastic.

I also have that Stereophile CD, Robert Silverman plays Diabelli Variations, recorded with IsoMike. It's pretty good!

Rich

shep

« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2007, 04:30:49 PM »
Sheffield labs...Dave Gruisin. The early French Harmonia Mundi's recorded by Pontefrac...some obscure Lp's from the 70's and 80's, Jazz, on labels that have long since disappeared. Absolutely wonderfull lp's (and cd's) of early AndyNarell and the David Grisman quintet ("new" blugrass)

Offline bobrex

• Seeking Help
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 10:21:25 AM »
First off, why just limit yourself to audiophile labels?  What happens to the Shaded Dogs, Mercs, Lyritas, Deccas, and EMIs?  I want good music, not just good sound and besides, these labels have truly fine sonics!

On the jazz side, ECM, Blue Note, Riverside, there's pleny out there.

Some of my best sonics are not on audiophile pressings.

Offline Inscrutable

• Certifiable
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 05:51:08 PM »
Mapleshade always seems to be pretty good.

lonewolfny42

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 10:01:35 PM »
Check out Chesky.......some very good recordings. :wink:

ipy

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:17:50 AM »
2nd ECM for Jazz & New Music
http://www.ecmrecords.com/Startseite/startseite.php
& for our Chinese listeners, it's hard to beat Rain Forest Studio label
http://www.21hifi.com/rfs/
I understand they are using tube gear for eg: Neumann M147 Tube Microphone in their recording process  8)
Just 2 labels that came to mind.

Offline Bunky

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 02:07:11 PM »
I have always been a fan of the Windham Hill Record label which was founded by the very talented Guitarist Will Ackerman. and showcased wonderful artists such as Alex DeGrassi, Michael Hedges, Michael Manring,George Winston, Liz Story,David Torn,Tuck Andress...etc
Remember, information is not knowledge; knowledge is not wisdom; wisdom is not truth; truth is not beauty; beauty is not love; love is not music; music is the best.
-- Frank Zappa

lonewolfny42

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2007, 03:43:03 PM »
For Jazz....there's a Japanese label...Three Blind Mice Records, that has quiet a few very good recordings.Well worth checking out.... 8)

biglou

Re: Favorite audiophile labels?
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 12:07:24 PM »
GrooveNote
Love the Ray Brown reissues... great stuff!

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2007, 01:27:06 PM »
So where's the best place to buy the better labels - particularly vinyl.   I have been using ElusiveDisc, MusicDirect and Acoustic Sounds, but you rarely find any significant sales or discounts (like with CDs at Amazon).  Any other hidden sources with good pricing?

biglou

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2007, 04:59:24 PM »
how could i forget Acoustech? the Fantasy 45 Series is super excellent (though pricey).

i mostly use acousticsounds.com and elusivedisc.com. i try to save up for a big purchase and then haggle with elusive disc. if i'm buying 5+ LPs i can usually get a 10% discount. all of the major online vinyl resellers (MD, AS, ED etc) sell at roughly the same price and have zero incentive to undercut each other. in fact, they have a little truce going and they are all fairly comfortable with their piece of the pie.