Author Topic: Psudeo Surround Gotta try This Guys  (Read 8599 times)

Offline jimbones

• Audio Neurotic
  • Two plus Two Speakers
Re: Psudeo Surround Gotta try This Guys
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2013, 09:32:31 AM »
So ? No takers except Jim ? Ya do not know what  your missing. Silly good.

charles

When used sparingly it sounds quite good. One thing i am doing to my speakers is adding a rear facing tweeter and I have to be careful in not overdoing it so i will have an LPad to control levels. I know this will have purists shaking their heads but my speaker is OB so I have some justification for doing it  :thumb:
Rogue RP7 Pre, Art Audio Vinyl Reference Phono,CJ Premier 12 Pwr, VPI Classic II/Dynavector 20X2L, Roon Rock, Auralic Vega DAC, Emotiva ERC-3, MIT, TWL, WireWorld, Wywires, Shunyata

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2013, 07:55:06 AM »
Cool. Purists need to bite the bullet now and then and maybe learn something along the way. Whatever it takes to bring me closer to the live event will be tried. One never knows until one tries.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline sleepyguy24

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2013, 08:08:42 AM »
I may try this for kicks but have some questions.

I have an Accuphase E-202 Integrated that has multiple speaker terminal outputs. It has the ability to have 2 sets of outputs active at the same time. So something like this would work? I would just have to use the 1st set of terminals for the front and the 2nd set of terminals for the rear speakers just flip the positive and negative ends on the amp side?

Also what kind of speakers can I use? Would a pair of full range Glow Audio Voice Ones work for the rears? The reason I ask is that I have a pair of these speakers and there are no buyers on the sites I've listed them on. My fronts would be a pair of KEF Q300s.

How would speaker positioning work for the rears? Does it have to be the same width as the front speakers? How about rear distance from the seating position? Does it need to be the same distance as the front?

Thanks in advance.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2013, 02:36:36 PM »
Sleepyguy, instructions/explanation for wiring surround speakers, without the use of any decoder, can be found here...

http://www.amsky.com/~cirkuit/media/surround.html
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2013, 07:59:40 AM »
  You can use the intergrated as long as it can control the rear ch vol separately or use alone for rear channels. Setup about one Ft. apart on rear wall above ear level and wire them out of phase. They need to be at least 4 ft away from you. If you have a remote volume control enlist a helper. Sit in the chair and have the helper adjust the volume up until you hear the rear speakers. Then lower rear until it blends in. You will know when it sounds right.You do not want to hear the rears outright. Just enough for ambiance.  have fun.

charles
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2013, 09:47:14 AM »
Charles, you say "wire them out of phase" as compared to what? Each other? The fronts? The paper I linked to gives full and proper instruction for wiring an "Ambiance Extracting Surround Speaker" that will give results similar to your Dynaco. Just wiring up two speakers in back with a volume control will yield a very different effect.
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2013, 12:13:35 PM »
Charles, you say "wire them out of phase" as compared to what? Each other? The fronts? The paper I linked to gives full and proper instruction for wiring an "Ambiance Extracting Surround Speaker" that will give results similar to your Dynaco. Just wiring up two speakers in back with a volume control will yield a very different effect.

To the main speakers. I did not read the link. Not using the dynaco. Using a powered Boston Acoustic TV speaker bar and sub from preamp output for ambiance. The other Pre output feeds the mains.  With the Dynaco and QOL together there was a ground issue. Without the QOL a non issue. The Dynaco does what is needed. Has a volume control.
    What I described works just fine. I'll read it and find the difference. I was using two different methods and not the proper explanation. Now ya know which one and way. My bad.

charles

« Last Edit: January 31, 2013, 12:28:59 PM by rollo »

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2013, 12:25:13 PM »
OK read it. Good info to try. My method is simpler.I do not want the same volume for the ambiance speakers.  To date most surround systems just have to much info in the rears. I noticed the use of an attenuator setup which looks reasonable.
    Try both methods. IMO just hooking the rears out of phase to the mains with some sort of volume control to the rears is simple and very affective. Loving it.
    Good find but there are several ways to skin the proverbial Cat. Thanks.

charles