Author Topic: Carolina Audio Mailing list  (Read 11199 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Carolina Audio Mailing list
« on: September 03, 2010, 08:26:45 AM »
New this week, Started by shep's favorite amp designer, Michael Mardis, aka Panomaniac on AC.

It is kind of like an announcement board for events and goings on in the NC scene. I have signed up and will post news on AN that is of interest to me, but you may wish to sign up to not miss anything, or to make your own announcements. Maybe it will host some disussions too, like back in the early days of the internet. But I think forums have eclipsed mailing lists for enabling online discussions.  I think NY Rave has a Yahoo mailing list, and they seem to like it.

Hats off to Pano for making it happen. Hopefully it will let us pull the NC community together a little closer, and see each other in person more often.

Link:
http://groups.google.com/group/carolinaudio?hl=en

Offline Barry (NJ)

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Carolina Audio Mailing list
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2010, 08:56:27 AM »
The advantage of the email group, is that messages just get sent to the members in-box as opposed to them having to log in to a forum to participate ;)

I like it :D
Happiness is when your system overcomes your nervosa ;) 
So much media, so little time... My Media Room...

mac5u

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2010, 10:50:08 AM »
Weitrihno over on Audio Circle maintains a map of Carolina audiophiles.  I just joined, number 14 on the map.  Here's the address.  He suggests marking your location as an approximation.  It's the world we live in.... :roll:

Happy New Year.

mac5u

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2011, 01:09:39 PM »
I just took another look at the NC Audiophile map and see that since I last posted, two more have put markers on the map.  And here's the address again.  Apparently, I did not insert the URL correctly the last time.

Carolina Audiophiles

Rick Craig has floated the idea a couple of times of having a GTG including Audio Circle manufacturers.  I'd like to see that happen in 2011.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2011, 06:08:04 PM »
I'd like to see that happen in 2011.

Me too. I offered to host, if it ever goes.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2011, 08:21:04 AM »
Carolina Audiophiles

Rick Craig has floated the idea a couple of times of having a GTG including Audio Circle manufacturers.  I'd like to see that happen in 2011.

I built my room with these kinds of events in mind.. So, if things ever get close to materializing, someone please let me know.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2011, 11:47:06 AM »
I was thinking that a DIY meet would be really fun too. There are a few of them here an there but I never noticed any in the Carolinas?

mac5u

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 04:14:09 PM »
I'd like to see that happen in 2011.

Me too. I offered to host, if it ever goes.

In a thread over on AC, I offered to host too but also mentioned that I'd really rather help, mostly because I have never been to a GTG and wasn't really quite sure how to pull one off successfully.  Besides having beer and steaks, that is. 

So, if one of these happens, it's  likely happen in RDU rather than Charlotte.  Be that as it may, I will be happy to help out in any way I can.  Then, we could have one in Charlotte too later on. 

So the question is:  What does it take to get one of these going?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2011, 04:59:46 PM »
So the question is:  What does it take to get one of these going?

Any meet with beer and steaks is already a success even if there are no speakers...   :thumb:

Seriously, it takes someone with a vision, and the passion to bring their vision to life.  There is no regular audio show in the southeast, yet.

Dave Slagle had a great idea:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2617.0

mac5u

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 09:56:29 PM »
So the question is:  What does it take to get one of these going?

Any meet with beer and steaks is already a success even if there are no speakers...   :thumb:

Seriously, it takes someone with a vision, and the passion to bring their vision to life.  There is no regular audio show in the southeast, yet.

Dave Slagle had a great idea:
http://www.audionervosa.com/index.php?topic=2617.0

That is a great idea! So, getting back to getting one going -- it looks like just selecting the day is a major feat in and of itself.  It certainly looks like there is interest and people willing to help.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2011, 10:49:07 AM »
Maybe, you don't really know until you say OK, sign up now for June 15th.  There definitely needs to be a leader who will usher it through the first year.  Is that you?

mac5u

« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2011, 08:45:57 AM »
Maybe, you don't really know until you say OK, sign up now for June 15th.  There definitely needs to be a leader who will usher it through the first year.  Is that you?

Well, like I have written, I am a little reluctant to lead a GTG not ever having been to one before.  I have read of GTGs that went well and others that didn't go to well.  I would rather see firsthand how it is done, the necessary things to do to pull off a successful one, and then host one after that.  And by firsthand, I mean I would be willing to help out by coming up early and help get things set up rather than just showing up as a spectator. 

The fact that others have expressed interest but no one has stepped forward suggests to me anyway that there is some effort involved.  I don't mind putting forth the effort as long as I know what I am doing to make it a worthwile experience for the participants.  There also seems to be more interest in this from members in the RDU area rather than the Charlotte area. 

On the other hand, I'd be happy to host one right away if an experienced person would come down early and help with getting the room(s) squared away.  Rich, shoot me a PM if you want and we can discuss offline.
--Michael

Offline richidoo

« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2011, 09:10:31 AM »
Sorry, I thought you were still talking about running a speaker shootout event, or trade show type big shindig where people may fly in from around the country. That requires resources, planning and a small committee to run it and manage volunteer helpers. Obviously that can't be done as a g2g.  As for g2g's it's just like any party but with audiophiles. You can make it as complicated or not as you desire. You make the rules for your party, and it can be however you like.

People haven't stepped up because hosting a party at your house is work. Cleaning it, feeding them, and often the wife has to at least help, often they will do much of the background work, so it is a family sacrifice that not everybody can commit too in advance.  Maybe the shyness factor, or wondering if their system is good enough, or big enough space affects deciding to host that first time. 

Can some of the other AN members chime in here about g2gs and Raves in small houses or without magazine cover type systems? How to run a successful first audio meet at your house?  That would a cool thread in itself. Feel free to start one...

I especially love how the NY groups have regular monthly meets. They are in NY where there are thousands of audiophiles, and their houses are relatively close. But people still need to show up and their individual commitments to their clubs are inspiring. They have volunteers to organize it, they carpool, loan equipment to each other, and they have a blast - every month. I'd move there just to get in on that action.

Our NC group has had periods of regular meetings, as often as every other month at times, probably every 4 months on average nowadays due to many of the usual hosts having other priorities. With the economy in slo mo, many people are not buying new gear to show off, so they think less reason to meet. But that's a good reason to meet. The same good system is fun to visit over and over, especially if the company is fun.

mac5u

« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2011, 06:30:06 PM »
No apologies necessary, Rich.  The conversation has been back and forth about G2Gs, shootouts, etc.  I should have been clearer in my own posts.

You made a good suggestion about starting new thread, and I think I will just jump on it, here and a couple of other places just to get some ideas.

You also had some good points about what it takes to host a G2G.  While I am not too concerned about the house-cleaning part or the space requirements, or even feeding people although it’d be burgers and dogs instead of steaks.  I’d love to have the disposable income to have that kind of problem.  (Let’s see…what shall I cook for the everyone…filets or rib eye)?

Maybe the shyness factor, or wondering if their system is good enough, or big enough space affects deciding to host that first time.

You did hit closer to home with that insight.  On a componet basis, I have some quality stuff, but the synergy just isn’t there for me. Correcting the room would help as would work on speaker placement so getting feedback and ideas from participants at my own GTG holds some appeal.

I especially love how the NY groups have regular monthly meets.

I lived in northern San Diego County for 10 years but never made it to the LA /Orange counties area meetings even though most meetings were within 100 miles of where I lived.  I know now I missed many great opportunities and I am determined not to miss the chances here even if it means driving 180 miles to the RDU area.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:35:36 PM by mac5u »

Offline richidoo

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2011, 07:23:56 PM »
If you're open to it you'll get plenty of advice how to improve your system at a meet, that's for sure. It's all valuable, and some of it may actually help, but until you try it you never know. Be careful making big changes to your system during a g2g. Accidents can happen when people are distracted by conversation. If everyone is careful and trusted then it can be a lot of fun to work over a system with all the guys pitching in ideas, gear, patience, enthusiasm. That's a lot of fun. 

You can just start with a small meet, with a couple of people you already know nearby, or invite just a few guys, see how it goes. For food we often just order pizza. Sometimes there is a glass for donations to cover the pizza. Sometimes in the summer we will grill out.