Author Topic: Couple questions on buying a High Def TV  (Read 21449 times)

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Couple questions on buying a High Def TV
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2007, 03:03:18 PM »
Projector baby. Check out Sharp, Marantz the prices are getting better.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 03:19:05 PM »
The Bravia isn't a bad piece at all if you can handle the depth.

Ken,

The Pioneer Pro is truly something special - probably the best flat screen available.  My final 2 choices were the Pioneer pro and the Sharp Aquos.  I chose the Sharp as it was 95% of the Pioneer for < 1/2 the price (more money for audio equipment  :D)

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

LKdog

« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2007, 01:19:13 PM »
Ok, am kind of overwhelmed right now with making a choice.  #-o

The projector idea is out-wifey nixed that.  :) Can't complain too much as she is the one who suggested we should retire the 13 year old Toshiba CRT. Actually think she got tired of me up in the living room watching ballgames in HD on the little 26" HD Vizio LCD upstairs.

I wandered over to AVS forum. Wow. Those guys are as obsessed as we are about audio.  :rofl:

Anyway- I am torn between plasma and LCD based upon all the info out there-especially the blackness thing.
The other issue is that plasmas are either 42" or 50" and nothing in between. Wonder why that is.

46" seems like a good size and works in my space best which has me leaning to an LCD.
The Sharp Aquos 46" models come in about six model variations-I see the LC-46D92U is the most recent.
What is the "banding" thing people worry about? Any real difference between the 82U and 92U?
Both claim to have great blacks and both are 1080p.

Is there a big difference in reality between 42" and 46"? 50" may be too big and would require wall mounting.
Maybe that is not a bad thing.

Also-in a basement with no bright natural lights or bright lights period-is plasma preferred over LCD?

My budget is around $1500 or so.

I am rambling. Any other thoughts are welcome.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2007, 07:20:20 PM »
You're right about those AVS guys. I asked a specific technical question about a specific model set interacting with a specific model cable box. I got 3 plausible answers in 30 minutes. One guy even wrote which page it actually WAS in the manual, though impossible to find by the index. They are serious over there. Mike from ACI calls it one of the two superforums, along with Asylum. Occasionally a nice review or opinions on receivers and such too.

AcidJazz

« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2007, 11:55:41 PM »
If you like sports, make sure and look at how the panel(LCD or Plasma) handles fast moving objects...been a while since I looked at LCDs, but the last time I did(early 2007) fast paced sports was better on Plasma panels vs LCD. I heard they have improved the response time of the LCD panels, so it may not be a factor currently.
FWIW I have a NEC plasma  bought 18 months ago when plasma was then superior to LCD in blackness detail and correct color saturation. And yeah, prior to my purchase I spent a lot of time over at AVS forum, those guys are total fanatics with some very knowledgeable about all things visual.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2008, 06:07:34 AM »
So now it's LCD or Plasma... Try to find some Toshiba's to look at... they were on my list of 'must see' LCD's... If you go to a bunch of stores, the LCD's and Plasmas look alike at first... But keep going to stores and pay attention to what you end up liking the most based on the picture quality.  That's what I did and it worked out well for me.  I ended up with a monitor I can watch for hours and still can't find fault with..
Good luck,
Carl
I really enjoy listening to music.

LKdog

« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2008, 07:11:19 AM »
Yes, I do watch a lot of sports. Mostly college BB and pro tennis.
I hear the new LCD's handle motion pretty well.

Carlman-whichToshiba did you end up with?

FWIW - I took a piece of cardboard that was 47" wide and 32" tall (roughly = 50" screen) and moved it around my space.
Wow. Those are big!   :shock:

Definitely that size would go on wall.

The age old question-does size matter???   :D

Will do something in between 42-50" it appears.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2008, 08:16:45 AM »
I was only looking for, not finding the Toshiba when I was shopping for a set... This is the one I wanted to see: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W1UH50/ruggedelegance33294-20/ref=nosim?gclid=COnOhKK31ZACFQGdPAodjVojWQ

But, I couldn't find it.  I found other Toshiba's and they looked good... but I ended up really liking (and buying) the Panasonic 50" Plasma... see my comments on page 1 of this thread...

-C

LKdog

« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2008, 11:46:24 AM »
I was only looking for, not finding the Toshiba when I was shopping for a set... This is the one I wanted to see: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000W1UH50/ruggedelegance33294-20/ref=nosim?gclid=COnOhKK31ZACFQGdPAodjVojWQ

But, I couldn't find it.  I found other Toshiba's and they looked good... but I ended up really liking (and buying) the Panasonic 50" Plasma... see my comments on page 1 of this thread...

-C

Ooops. yes, now I see. Thanks.
Am looking at Panasonics in the plasmas and Sharp and Samsung in LCD's.

LKdog

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2008, 08:30:04 PM »
Ended up ordering a Pioneer Kuro PDP 5080 50" plasma in case anyone was wondering.

Picking a flat panel is not easy.  :shock:

Lots of choices and all the formats have pluses and minuses.

Thanks for the input.

rosconey

« Reply #25 on: January 15, 2008, 02:07:45 AM »
it can be easy if you know the right person-
a guy a go to breakfast with every sunday has a friend who is seeing a girl who works for a distributor-she mentioned she gets a few free tv's every year- so he asked for one -in 7-10 days he will get a 60 inch or something plasma for the cost of shipping- :rofl:

i guess i know were ill be watching the super bowl

LKdog

« Reply #26 on: January 15, 2008, 09:06:57 AM »
Will she want the TV back if they break up???
 :D

rosconey

« Reply #27 on: January 15, 2008, 10:09:54 AM »
my buddy isnt the guy seeing her,he is just getting the free tv

LKdog

« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2008, 10:53:24 AM »
Even better.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2008, 11:08:46 AM »
Ended up ordering a Pioneer Kuro PDP 5080 50" plasma in case anyone was wondering.

Picking a flat panel is not easy.  :shock:

Lots of choices and all the formats have pluses and minuses.

Thanks for the input.

I WAS wondering... thanks for the update. 
Just watch out for the burn-in... I notice some ghosting after a while... I zoom every so often to keep from having bars on the sides... Since 95% of TV is still non-HD.... I watch as much HD as I can but I can only take so many nature shows. ;)  They are lovely to watch, though.

Hope you like it as much as I do... I think the picture on Plasma is perfect.  The picture quality is worth the only minor 'hassle' of keeping an eye on burn-in... 

-C