Author Topic: Well, I guess I am confused as to why...  (Read 16405 times)

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
Re: Well, I guess I am confused as to why...
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2016, 05:44:40 PM »
Dave,
I find it difficult to describe the sound of nothing, what is basically left of the noise floor from the music server that is connected to my DigiBUSS.  Same goes for the system plugged into the UberBUSS. 

It uncovers the low level signals and gets rid of any hash from the SMPS for the computer and display that would be on the USB line to the DAC.  Good stuff.

Looking forward to the BlunderBUSS for the new speaker amps!  :)
Thanks, Rich. 

I guess where I was going with my thoughts is that AN seems like a great place to have a really good discussion by people that are nice and play well with others.  It is such a breath of fresh air coming over here.  None of the "you're stupid" or "you're deaf" crap over here.  I know there are people out there with some strong experiences with digital audio that must have a lot to share.

Curious.

Exactly how I described this site to you. We have only one ball buster however easy to deal with as we know his tactics.
   I need my mind changed about computer audio. The best I have heard to date is Hals music server at CAF.
    My reference is a CEC 01 transport. Limited to 44.1 Redbook and does not play burned CDs. The new CEC01x does but out of my reach.
    As far as a single box player the Esoteric 01x is my reference. Stand alone DAC hands down is the VU Jade.
    I just do not know what will beat what in a direct comparison as we have yet to check that out.
    I am NOT putting down computer audio I just need to hear one against the other in a familiar system.

charles

Thanks, guys.

"What is the sound of one hand clapping?"  Old zen question.  I know that it is at ~ -90dB because we measured it back in the day.  The sound came from wind noise.  Kind of like digital audio.  Fun stuff in the studio while a tad tipsy.

FF about 10 years.  I gave up analog for strictly pragmatic reasons.  I was doing a lot of studio consultation in the '90s and everyone was going to digital as the format of choice.  People would ask me "how does it sound" and having an analog paradigm during the ear of crappy digital with even crappier anti-aliasing filters and cheap assed parts meant that I had to be able to say: "compared to my digital system..." instead of:  It sounds awful" compared to my analog system.  Made my head hurt and I went through the same kind of reprofunk I did after I made a transition from tubes to sand amps.  Stupidity knows no bounds.

FF to about 5 years ago when I heard Eric Hiders original Tranquility DAC and it finally made sense to me.  At the time I had a Cary 306 Pro and it still sounded like digital to me.  Kind of sterile and standoff-ish, but very good in a technical context.  When I heard the NOS Tranquility and its' liquid, relaxed presentation I knew a couple of things:  Accurate?  Uhm, no. Musical - in spades.

FF to now.  I now know how to make digital music that leaves me wanting nothing from analog anymore.  It takes a lot of work, careful selection and a tad bit of suspension of disbelief when it comes to the fact that I am getting huge enjoyment from a digital instead of analog source.

Even better days are coming I think.  Roger Norden, my good friend and fellow geezer has alerted me to the newest version of the Sonore microRendu.  A headless microcomputer running linux that will direct feed from a NAS to a DAC.  I'll be getting one in the next few weeks and will let you know what I hear... or don't, which may be more important.

The times, they are a changin'!

Dave,

Do you expect to have that Sonore Rendu up and running while I'm in Albuquerque? I've been reading about it, and I must say I'm intrigued. Melody and I will arrive 5/18 and leave 6/22. We're in the Sedona area for 17 days now. I found the cottage on VRBO.com.
I'm not sure if I will have my system back up by then.  Work and our remodel is taking all of my time.  The listening room looks like a bomb went off in there.

We'll see...  :roll:
FWIW, I want to put my Tortuga volume control,  the Folsom 7297 amp that I've tweaked and my new NOS DAC in a common enclosure along with the microRendu.  After all of these years, I'm looking for a single box solution.  This will drive my Dayton PS220's with a subwoofer to begin with.  I want to add Danny's open baffle subs soon, but I sold my Super V's to a friend and I'm spending a lot of money on the house right now.

Business is good... i have no complaints other than not having time to myself to get fun stuff done.  I've been confined to my office system for so long I can't really remember KILLER SQ.

Bummer, huh?

See you two soon.  I'll cook steaks............

Me
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2016, 05:50:06 PM »
Dave, I also ordered the Sonore microRendu to serve as an endpoint for Roon (or LMS/Squeezelite) feeding my Devialet.  Can't wait to see if all the anticipation will payoff.

I'm very curious what you will use as a power supply for it.  They claim it responds quite well to the high-priced power supplies, but I know squat about it.  I ordered mine with the iFi power supply which, of course, will get plugged into your DigiBuss.

FYI - anyone curious can find more info here: http://www.microrendu.sonore.us/

There's also Part 1 of a review of it on ComputerAudiophile.com as well as a wealth of info in the Sonore sponsored forum on that site.
Mike, I have an idea for a linear power supply that "should be" a killer.  I'm wondering if it will best my battery supply through the BatteryBUSS.  We'll just have to hear/see.

Dave,  if and when you need someone to try out your LPS idea for the Sonore microRendu, let me know.  Got mine yesterday and using it with the iFi power supply and, well, it sounds pretty damn amazing.  Hard to imagine what a better power supply can do for this.

Offline mresseguie

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2016, 11:41:34 PM »
Dave:
I've got my Nuprime IDA-8 integrated and my GR Research LGK speakers for my travel vacation. I couldn't fit anything larger - and I tried really hard to bring my good stuff. Nonetheless, I'll bring my IDA-8 over for your inspection.

I'll take my steak medium-rare. :-)

Richidoo:

Black copters made me think of black ops copters...I haven't seen any terrorists wandering around here yet. Lol!

mdconnelly:

I just read on CA that Sonore will soon release a really nice power supply for the microRendu.
Daedalus Audio Apollos; Fritz Loudspeakers LS/5-R
SW1X NOS DAC III BAL/SPL; Holo Spring3 KTE
Don Sachs Model 2 preamp
Don Sachs dual mono 300b; Nuprime Evolution STA
Hapa loom
PI Audio UberBUSS, DigiBUSS, Uber-MiniBUS

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2016, 04:22:31 AM »
mdconnelly:

I just read on CA that Sonore will soon release a really nice power supply for the microRendu.

Yes indeed, but it's pricey - $1400 I believe.  Given that the iFi PS is $49, I'm having a hard time with that price.  Still, it would be fascinating to hear the extent of the difference.

Offline P.I.

• Industry Participant
  • Silence is that blackness beneath the music
    • P.I. audio group, LLC
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 08:15:32 PM »
Dave:
I've got my Nuprime IDA-8 integrated and my GR Research LGK speakers for my travel vacation. I couldn't fit anything larger - and I tried really hard to bring my good stuff. Nonetheless, I'll bring my IDA-8 over for your inspection.

I'll take my steak medium-rare. :-)

Richidoo:

Black copters made me think of black ops copters...I haven't seen any terrorists wandering around here yet. Lol!

mdconnelly:

COOL!!!  It will be good to have some tunes in the room again!  Being without a workable system for a while sucks, but has taught me to really appreciate the music instead f the gear for a change.

Coming soo in my listening room...  A new system!   :thumb:

Medium rare is the only way!  I'll get Igor (Greg Rael) and his lovely wife Patti over here and we'll pig out!

I'm sure there will be great products available for the mR.  It will be very interesting.  I'm sending Roger his bumped up BatteryBUSS in the morning. It will be good to see what he hears.
"A man with an experience is never at the mercy of a man with an argument." - Hilmar von Campe

Offline HAL

• Audio Neurotic
  • Audio Mad Scientist
    • Hollis Audio Labs
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2016, 05:13:36 AM »
This gives me an idea for the RPi3. 

They need micro USB connectors for 5VDC power.  Time to jerry rig a test with my BatteryBUSS and a USB cable.