Author Topic: DIY RCA Interconnects  (Read 7425 times)

ik632

DIY RCA Interconnects
« on: January 15, 2008, 01:48:36 PM »
I'm planning on making custom cables for my vintage system and I'd like to find some connectors that I can use. I see that the Canare connectors seam to be the most popular, but I don't see my system benefiting from very expensive connectors. What are your recommendations for a medium quality solder type connection (I don't want to buy an expensive crimp tool.

Most of my searching has resulted in 3' patch cables for $50/pair and I'm not quite ready to spend that for 6 pairs of cables.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: DIY RCA Interconnects
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2008, 02:09:28 PM »
Hi Nick
I was reading about making some XLR>RCA adapters today, and came across this over at diycable.com:

http://www.diycable.com/main/product_info.php?cPath=89_117_122&products_id=609

If you want even cheaper, mouser has a pretty good selection of raw components. Switchcraft, etc. Cardas IC cable is some of the best quality raw copper wire you can buy, $7/ft from diycable. Shielded single twisted pair is all you need, metal quality and insulation have a bearing on sound, but it's all what you wanna pay. I'm sure mouser has el cheapo wire too.

I have belden/Canare ICs I bought assembled from Blue Jeans Cable. The RCA connectrs are really nice, but I don;t know how they are for sound quality, never did any experiments. They are great quality, feel good, and extra foot added to the 1 meter for free, But they are a little rolled off on the top and mids are slightly dimmed. But this is in comparison to great wires like Grover S. I still use them on tuner, and I love the sound of them. It is 1505 coax for wire. The Cardas might be a little more transparent, but that's just a guess.

I have used Switchcraft parts before for power applications, they are really awesome quality parts. The contacts are high copper alloy, but plated nickel, some people think that is a high end faux pas. They are cheap so might be worth a try anyway for your purpose.
Good luck
Rich

ik632

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2008, 05:23:22 PM »
Rich, thanks for the advice. I forgot about Mouser. I also spent some time this afternoon reading up on cables made from RG6 and RG59 cable. While reading I ran across some interesting ideas which will probably lead me to buy a bunch of stuff and end up playing around. I may end up investing in the better connectors as I've read that the quality does make a difference.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 07:05:55 AM »
FYI, I have found Belden 8422 wire to be the all-around best DIY interconnect cable for value and performance.  I like the RCA-650 DH Labs connectors found here: http://silversonic.com/docs/products/Connectors1.html

Those 2 together yield exceptional results in my opinion.  I'm not sure where you can get them cheaply.. but they weren't very expensive when I bought them... but I know that's relative.

I have a pair of the cable around if you want to try them, but they're short... maybe 1.5' or so. 

After some searching, I found the 8422 for $1.12 per foot, you'd need 12' for a pair of 6' IC's.  4 connectors at $5 ea is $20, so $33.44 a pair (plus shipping) for seriously good cables.  There's a local guy (Drew Baird) that sells all sorts of connectors.. and I'm not sure if Shane (hometheaterdoc) can get them but I'd guess he can also...

If you want to do these, I'd be happy to go in with you on a bigger order to make them.

-C
« Last Edit: January 16, 2008, 07:13:50 AM by Carlman »
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2008, 08:00:59 AM »
Alex Lok is a DHLabs dealer. I have purchased those connectors from him recently, so I know he has about half dozen sets of four in stock.  I haven't used them yet, but of course I defer to the opinion of our omniscient leader.  I do know they are close to pure copper (no brass) so if your system is up to it, should make a slight improvement over the usual brass which is made of copper watered down with zinc, definitely not a hifi signal conductor material. I know that Grover is extremely careful with his connector designs, which are solid silver and very minimalistic as a result. Many of us participating in last years Grover group buy have heard the differences between his S versions which were due to connector tweaks.

Anyway, I can't wait to hear your DIY wires next time we all get together. Which must be coming up soon??
Rich

ik632

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2008, 01:52:41 PM »
That's an interesting proposition. I'll have to stop and ask Alex about the connectors when I pick up my receiver he's servicing.

I'd be willing to entertain folks at my place to listen to my stuff. Though, your components are probably much nicer than mine. I just like the look and feel of the vintage stuff.

ik632

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 02:52:12 PM »
I've got some cable on the way to try. I still haven't ordered any connectors yet. I'm waiting for my new amp to get here first and finish the rack before I finish the cables.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2008, 06:35:17 AM »
I've got some cable on the way to try. I still haven't ordered any connectors yet. I'm waiting for my new amp to get here first and finish the rack before I finish the cables.

Good luck with your project. If all fails check out MAC cables and Homebrew as well. Very inexpensive silver ICs and speaker cable. These cables outperform many expensive ones out there. From $40 and up.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

ik632

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2008, 12:07:35 PM »
Well, I got them done and hooked up. Here they are:

Closeup:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2008, 05:13:36 PM »
What did you use for connectors? Nice job.

Are you sure that's not bungee cord Nick?  :rofl:

ik632

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2008, 06:36:22 AM »
Hahaha, no they are guitar cord.  :rofl: The connectors are from Parts Express.