Author Topic: Burson / preamp test mule  (Read 5216 times)

mgalusha

Burson / preamp test mule
« on: June 26, 2007, 06:51:10 PM »
A friend of mine has asked me to investigate putting his Burson Buffer in a nicer chassis along with a remote controlled volume and source selector. There are a few options available for this but the least expensive are the products from China (imagine that).

LITE Audio sells the "V-03" volume control which is a relay based stepped attenuator with 4 inputs and 100 steps. A touch over $100 on eBay or from some of the Chinese DIY sites. I had one of these I picked up in late 2005 and never got around to using, so it was the logical place to start.

With that out of the way, I present, in all it's glory, a nude preamp.  :yay2:

Given that it's not shielded and the PS is right next to the volume board it's surprisingly quiet and sounds quite good. Of course the upside is the SB can run at 100% so there in no potential loss of information (even though the SB does it's volume control starting at 24 bits). Great dynamics, no apparent loss of bass or other information and of course rock solid imaging since it's a stepped attenuator.

If we decide to go ahead with this I'll post photos of the case (they make quite a nice one) and other details.

Mike

WEEZ

Re: Burson / preamp test mule
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2007, 12:52:42 PM »
Hey Mike,

it would be fun to compare it with the Superphon :)

WEEZ

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 06:31:14 PM »
Nice job Mike. Especially with the front PCB with display, is that also part of the LITE VC? What are you using for PS? I knew you had the REDesigns amps, but nice to see them. Superduper stuff.
Please post more photos if/when..
Thanks

mgalusha

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2007, 04:29:33 AM »
Rich,

The PCB is part of the volume control package and contains the IR receiver and logic circuits. I just cut a couple of pieces of 1/2" pine and glued them to the other board for mounting. So far the whole thing is working fine. Sounds quite good and hasn't had any apparent glitches. That said my buddy has ordered a different board from a gentlemen in the Netherlands so it should prove interesting to hear the differences.

The PS is just a little transformer, bridge rectifier, caps and a 5V voltage regulator. It's only purpose in life is to run the logic and relays. The volume control has only resistors and relay contacts in the signal path. The PS in the Burson is what Burson supplies and seems to be very nice.

Mike

mgalusha

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2007, 04:31:26 AM »
Sounds like fun Don, I'm on vacation for the next week if you want to grab a plane.  :rofl:

Sorry, couldn't resist. I agree, it would be interesting but I don't think anyone I know locally owns one.

mike

Hey Mike,

it would be fun to compare it with the Superphon :)

WEEZ