Author Topic: contact enhansers  (Read 7202 times)

shep

contact enhansers
« on: May 10, 2007, 02:35:03 AM »
I have this itch... anyone using? The last time I did was 25 years ago!!! "Tweak". I am thinking of that silver- loaded with an oil base. Can't think of the name. It's not from Crag I don't think. I think op amp pins would benefit and I know all other connections do.

shrinkmore

Gold
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 04:36:00 AM »
I still like Caig's Pro Gold, which now has a new name.  I noticed that John said he used it on his power cables.  It definately improves the sound, and is not oily, greeezzzy or messy.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
contact enhansers
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2007, 04:58:48 AM »
shep
you mean Walker SST?

Offline mdconnelly

• Audio Neurotic
  • new ways to dream...
contact enhansers
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2007, 06:01:07 AM »
There's also SilClear.   I've often been tempted to try this or Walker SST but, they're a bit expensive (particularly the newer Extreme SST).  Anyone else use these?

I do use ProGold (now Deoxit Gold) to good effect.

miklorsmith

contact enhansers
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2007, 07:24:30 AM »
I have a can of SST and have used it all over the place.  I thought it improved the sound.  I've pretty much quit using it for tube pins, interconnects, ano other "hidden" places out of fear of what the stuff might do in 2, 5, 10 years.  

I wouldn't have any fears using it for spade speaker cable connections or other places where it could easily be cleaned.

That said, I haven't heard of anyone that suffered equipment failure from SST or its ilk.

Black Sand Cable

contact enhansers
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2007, 08:43:04 AM »
For the most part they all work and offer improvements but they should be used accordingly. Using SST or SilClear for example on interconnects, power cords, speaker wire etc that are of an all Copper configuration doesn’t make a lot of sense to me as I don't believe in bringing in a new element to the contact surface only when Silver isn’t being used in part or in whole as a conductor. If Silver is being used it becomes a different story.

Many years ago  Sovtek came out with a limited run of contact enhancer that was about the best that I have seen. Problem is they only did it for a few months and then it was gone. I picked up a case and use it sparingly now on one of my power cords in conjunction with some enhancer I had custom made. I should mention however that I don’t do it to improve sound or anything along those lines, I use it to increase current flow and to protect certain areas of the cord from possible contamination years down the road which is in all honesty what its intended to do. If a contact enhancer claims to do more then that (better bass, lower noise floor etc etc), I want no part of it.  :shock:

Anyway, if you want what I consider to be the best all around contact enhancer for general use, stick with Caig as it does what its supposed to do and it will stand the test of time with no adverse effects years down the road. If you want a free tweak, warm up whatever you are going to treat for a couple of seconds and then apply whatever Caig product you are using, let it cool and apply again at room temperature. Please note I said warm it up, not heat it up! Just make sure you can live with the results as there is no turning back. Once done there will be traces present on the contact points 5 years from now.  :D

shep

contact enhansers
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2007, 01:05:32 PM »
thanks guys. Yes Rich that was the one I meant. Yeah I should get some Craig stuff to try. I'm wondering now if "tweak" wasn't just fish oil!

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
contact enhansers
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2007, 01:13:48 PM »
You would know it by the smell.  :P

shrinkmore

3,2,1 contact!
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2007, 08:17:00 PM »
John,

Don't you think that enhanced contact = improved sound, usually?

shep

contact enhansers
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2007, 02:03:20 AM »
leaving aside the issue of the actual content of an enhancing material and the obvious need to keep contact points free of oxidation and contaminents, it comes down to the idea of filling the minute holes in the metal structures that are mating to provide a greater contact area and to reduce the arcing phenomena. In an ideal world, all connections would be hard-wired, which is terribly impractical and only possible in a DIY setup where you know and accept the sound of everything as being ideal and set in stone. Anything that improves contacts should improve the sound but I guess in the case in point the actual enhancing compound will have to be factored in.

Offline djbnh

• Certifiable
contact enhansers
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2007, 02:06:46 AM »
Quote from: "mdconnelly"
There's also SilClear.   I've often been tempted to try this or Walker SST but, they're a bit expensive (particularly the newer Extreme SST).  Anyone else use these?
I use the original formulation of SST to excellent effect on ICs, RCA connectors, speaker cables, tube pins, IEC and PC prongs, phono cartridge pins, and electrical wiring. No way I'd go without it, the effect in my system with my gear to my ears is that substantive and positive.

There has been one application when it has been too much of a good thing. I have a Fisher 800B receiver, which has 22 tubes. I initially applied it to all the tube pins (fun job), and felt the result was overly bright. I cleaned everything up, started from scratch and selectively applied SST to certain tubes.

Another caveat is that one should ignore the SST application directions at your own risk. Please be careful and take your time.

YMMV.
“If I discover within myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world.”   C.S. Lewis

Offline Woodsyi

• Seeking Help
Re: contact enhansers
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2007, 05:26:32 AM »
I use the Walker extreme SST.  It works as advertised on just about every connection -- silver, copper, nickle, rhodium, paladium, whatever.  Can you believe I applied it to ethernet cable too?  :roll: Just remember, as djb says, a little dab will do ya!
I am a nut.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
Re: Gold
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2007, 05:26:58 AM »
I still like Caig's Pro Gold, which now has a new name.  I noticed that John said he used it on his power cables.  It definately improves the sound, and is not oily, greeezzzy or messy.

The best stuff around. Once a month will do it. During a dinner for Harry Pearson honoring his achievements, Harry was asked  what in audio would he give his highest recco. To everyones surprise it was Pro Gold. Go figure. Works for me.

rollo
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.