Author Topic: Separate Squeezebox Receiver/Controllers  (Read 14216 times)

ik632

Re: Separate Squeezebox Receiver/Controllers
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2008, 01:37:19 PM »
I hope there is a convergence of the technology. With Slim being an open platform hopefully it gets to a point where more than the tech heads adopt it. Honestly, for a music system you shouldn't need to build a server, configure a wireless network, and install a bunch of software. A user should be able to install an application on a computer they already have and then do some basic configuration and then be listening to music.

Granted, this only took about 30 minutes for me to setup, but I'm not a typical user either.

rosconey

« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2008, 01:57:58 PM »
what we want is a idiot proof all in one sytem-no puter needed -
as you play your collection it down loads into the built in memory-no fooling around with formats wireless networks ect ect-and no fan

Phil

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2008, 03:19:52 PM »
rosconey + ik632:  Amen.  Isn't it interesting that you can find out what folks want in about 10 minutes, but lots of time and money can be spent building what they don't want?  My biased take is that the slimdevices is built by propeller heads (I say this fondly, really) for the same.  They may think it is all so easy because it is so intuitive to them -- but then, there are folks like me. :)   

ik632:  Setup (that is, once my new wireless router was in place) of the Duet was easy.  Then it got wonky.  And whenever the receiver lost power, the controller wasn't sure what to do.  I always hated the old hourglass symbol appearing on my monitor until I was reminded why it was instituted in the first place -- to let folks know something is happening.  With the Duet controller, it just stares at you with that little, unblinking eye.   :lol:   Maybe 'cause I'm an old fart, I'd rather use a 19" screen than a 3" one to navigate anything. 

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2008, 08:05:11 PM »
Hey Phil! Your not old if you are using a wireless Squeezebox to dig your tunes on a bitchin stereo!

I had the same problem, power loss to the rx was the guillotine... Total factory reset of rx and controller was the only thing that would bring it back. So I packed it up and gave it to ik632. I hope he can figure it out. Hang on for the new gold update coming out soon, supposed to cure a lot of the wonkers. I think Nick said it's out now? 7.0.1 gold?

Rich

Phil

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 05:48:29 PM »
Thanks, Rich. Well I became impatient enough to return the Duet.  That doesn't mean I won't try it again in the future or try something else.  I must admit to liking a simple system, though, and for right now just plopping the CD in the cdp is simple and sounds great.

ik632

« Reply #20 on: September 05, 2008, 05:49:17 AM »
I wonder how many folks have returned these things because they didn't quite like the way they worked.

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
« Reply #21 on: September 05, 2008, 05:51:01 AM »
Welcome back papa...  :D

Black Sand Cable

« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2008, 02:03:00 PM »
I wonder how many folks have returned these things because they didn't quite like the way they worked.

I take a fair number of Duet's back. Some as a result of failure, some due to people not being happy with the end performance.

Right now my average is 1 out of every 10 Duet's sold comes back. It's something I have learned to live with.

The saving grace for me is that a fair number of those people move into a Sonos system. So far this year, I have had zero returns on a Sonos piece. No failures, no problems running it = Happy campers!