Author Topic: Ceiling Walls  (Read 15398 times)

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
Re: Ceiling Walls
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2011, 03:04:57 PM »
Planning to add R13 in the walls and R19 insulation in the ceiling with 5/8" sheetrock, which I hope will cut down on the noise leakage  :thumb:

That will help a little, not a lot.  Adding another layer of 1/2" sheetrock on top of that, would help more.

Adding a layer of plastic or vinyl sheeting across and entire ceiling or wall helps create a good sound barrier.  Make it as air tight as possible.. no holes in the plastic.

-C
I really enjoy listening to music.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2011, 09:18:38 AM »
Planning to add R13 in the walls and R19 insulation in the ceiling with 5/8" sheetrock, which I hope will cut down on the noise leakage  :thumb:

That will help a little, not a lot.  Adding another layer of 1/2" sheetrock on top of that, would help more.

Adding a layer of plastic or vinyl sheeting across and entire ceiling or wall helps create a good sound barrier.  Make it as air tight as possible.. no holes in the plastic.

-C

I'll second that vinyl sheet. The Two layers of sheetrock with the joints staggered. . Leave gap at the side wall juncture 1/2" and seal with acoustic caulking. You can eliminate the other insulation.
  Now with a reflective clg. the floor should be absorptive, say a carpet. having a reflective floor as well will not balance the reflections. Have fun.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline shadowlight

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2011, 10:47:37 AM »

That will help a little, not a lot.  Adding another layer of 1/2" sheetrock on top of that, would help more.

Adding a layer of plastic or vinyl sheeting across and entire ceiling or wall helps create a good sound barrier.  Make it as air tight as possible.. no holes in the plastic.

-C

Would that layer of plastic or vinyl go on top of the insulation before the sheetrock and will I still be compliant from code perspective.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 11:08:44 AM by shadowlight »

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2011, 01:48:11 PM »
I don't know your local code but I put the plastic sheet over the studs before the sheetrock and had no code issues where I live.

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2011, 01:51:04 PM »
I don't know your local code but I put the plastic sheet over the studs before the sheetrock and had no code issues where I live.

Thanks will look into it.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2011, 08:17:16 AM »
 No Bldg. code issue. The vinyl barrier will be encased in the sheetrock. A further thought is to mount the sheetrock on rubber soundproofing pads so the sheetrock is is not directly contacting the floor beams above.
   Pm Lissnr here . He knows the Manf's of such and would be happy to help. his dedicated room has all these features and construction techniques.

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2011, 05:09:40 PM »
I remember reading a cheap man's way around buying rubber soundproffing pads is to simply run some beads of silicone across each floor beam and let it cure before putting nup the sheetrock. This will give you an elastic barrier between the wallboard and the beans so less sound gets transmitted between them. Probably not as good as specifically designed soundproofing pads, but better than nothing and cheap and easy to do.
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline shadowlight

« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2011, 06:13:29 PM »
Well passed the rough inspection for electrical and building.  Need to do some work on plumbing before it can pass.

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 06:18:15 AM »
Be careful with that vinyl sheet. Don't use paper backed insulation or you will be creating a moisture trap between the 2 layers.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline tmazz

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
  • Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 11:49:29 AM »
Be careful with that vinyl sheet. Don't use paper backed insulation or you will be creating a moisture trap between the 2 layers.

...... and mold won't be too far behind.  :(
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables

Offline JLM

« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2011, 06:18:09 AM »
My builder wouldn't do as I'd asked, to add gauge metal "Z" shaped furring strips between bottom of joists and drywall, so now I have a direct connection from my ceiling to the floor above (even with 12 inches of fiberglass insulation).  My best option now is to add a 2nd layer of drywall with "Green Glue" (construction adhesive) in between the layers.

Other tips:

Follow the Cardas formulas for room proportions to minimize standing waves in the room.  This one is huge (sound treatments aren't needed in my place with Cardas speaker/listener nearfield recommendations).

Have the last run of ductwork into the room be lined/insulated flexible duct to absorb sound from the furnace (I can't hear my furnace from inside the room).

Don't install recessed ceiling mounted cans (use wall hung sconces instead) to avoid sound transmission.

Use an insulated fiberglass pre-hung exterior door to the room that has a weather seal.  They have a pre-molded wood grain and can be stained/painted later.  Really cuts down on the sound transmission through the wall and will be prepped to add a dead bolt lock (to protect your stuff and your privacy).

Try to install staggered stud walls where your room will adjoin other living spaces.  I used 2x6 top and bottom plates with two sets of 2x4 studs.  One set is flush with each edge of the 2x6 plates and spaced at standard 16 inches centers.  The other set is flush with the opposite edge of the 2x6 plates and spaced the same, but 8 inches off from the first, so no solid (sound transmitting material) is in the wall (except at door frames and the top/bottom plates).  Then install fiberglass batt insulation.  For even better walls use 2x8 plates with 2x6 studs, randomize the spacing (12 - 24 inches, but stagger with the other set of studs), and use 5/8 inch drywall.

All this can be done for less than the cost of your next equipment upgrade, yet it will pay huge dividends.  Even with recessed cans and directly attached ceiling drywall, it tooks weeks for me to get used to how spooky quiet my room is.   :thumb:

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
As to ceiling lights, another option is to install track lighting.. I did 2 sets of tracks with 6 heads and only used 1 hole, which I sealed with a little box.  You can do recessed lighting, you just need to build boxes around them.

-C

Offline BobM

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #27 on: April 04, 2011, 01:59:26 PM »
How many of us are regularly accused of being obsessed with this hobby to the point of distraction?
Now all these things make perfect sense to me, and probably to anyone else reading this thread. If you're going to build it anyway, for a little more effort and material you might as well do it right the first time.

But your builder is probably shaking his head and saying, "well I'll do anything you want if you pay me (and since you're a nutjob obsessive I bet you'll be willing to pay me well)."
  :rofl:
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Cry and you'll have to blow your nose.

Offline Carlman

• Audio Neurotic
« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2011, 06:15:02 AM »
I think I understand what you're saying, Bob, and we've all agreed we're obsessive about our hobby, nothing new there.... but I'm not distracted by the details.  In fact, I'm driven to do my best at building my systems and completing my projects.  That way my system actually sounds as good as I can make it so I no longer obsess about it.

If you know what you want and learn to not give a shit about what others say, the contractors tend to do what you pay them to, that's for sure.  Doing it right the first time definitely makes sense to me.

Some of the people that did work on my house think it is a mansion, for a king and queen.. and had no concept of what it would take to live in what they were building.  They tend to not ask a lot of questions... but need the most supervision. ;)  

orthobiz

« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2011, 02:32:51 PM »
Consider double Sheetrock with Green Glue in between the two layers
No light in ceiling...no sound leaks

Paul