Author Topic: long wall vs. short wall speaker placement?  (Read 12605 times)

WEEZ

long wall vs. short wall speaker placement?
« on: February 18, 2007, 05:45:36 PM »
Any experiences to share with either placement options?

:?:  :?:

WEEZ

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2007, 05:57:41 PM »
Really depends on the size and orientation of the room.  

Short wall placement allows more room behind the listening position and a farfield listening environment.  It also has the speakers closer to the side walls but potentially farther from the wall behind them.

Long wall usually ends up with a good distance from the side walls (though reflections are still important) but close to the front wall.  To get the seat away from the wall behind, it usually ends up forcing more of a nearfield listening environment.  

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 06:15:29 AM »
Up until maybe 6 months ago, I had my system set up in our great room with the speakers on the long wall. And yes, due to the speakers being a bit closer to the wall..and my listening postion being closer to the back wall..I perceived more bass. But it was integrated with all the TV and stuff, so imaging suffered.

Now, I have the system separated from the TV system, and in a short wall placement. Nothing in between the speakers; equipment off to one side. Imaging is much improved...maybe a bit less perceived bass...

Damn, I need a dedicated room...

Offline bpape

• Audio Neurotic
  • Sensible Sound Solutions
    • Owner - Sensible Sound Solutions
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 06:40:19 AM »
My guess is that while it's less perceived bass, if you took measurements, you'd be seeing smoother bass response.  You'd likely find that with some broadband bass control in the room, the bass level, tightness, and apparent extension would come back.

Bryan
I am serious... and don't call me Shirley

WEEZ

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 05:36:24 PM »
I'm sure you're right. If I could sit about 2 feet further back it would be much better..but I can't. (wish I could post a drwg :oops: )

WEEZ

shep

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 07:56:28 AM »
I have a fairly long rectangle. The short wall placement was always a problem. The long wall is nice but for two things; having my back to a wall
is not ideal and having the side walls so far away from the speakers means there are virtually no reflection "clues", which makes the sound stage very concentrated around the speakers. Still it is far preferable