Author Topic: DTQWT-12  (Read 127129 times)

Offline richidoo

• Out Of My Speaker Cabinet
Re: DTQWT-12
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2011, 05:57:51 AM »
William, I get a charge out of building with wood. Same feeling as working in the garden. It rejuvenates me. I'd actually like to learn how to weld so I can make speakers from metal!  :lol:

Offline richidoo

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
Ruberoid damping material is in! I'll pick it up tomorrow and proceed with the build.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #32 on: June 03, 2011, 02:42:52 PM »

I had a fun time outside today carving the front baffles. They are 1.5" thick 11.5 x 18.25" layered 3/4" plywood so the plys are parallel to the driver axes. The extra stiffness in that orientation will raise the baffles' resonance higher in frequency, which means less energy, which makes for easier bracing and damping.   But it's a lot of extra work.  I like the look of edge-on plywood lam although this is a little more wild look than baltic birch seen on Magico et al due to more blemishes on the inner plys. This front baffle center section will be surrounded by normal veneer above and below, with the edges of the side panels of the speakers showing on the front baffle top to bottom and blending in with this center panel in the middle.  It looks good in my mind so far...  :D

A picture of the front of the baffle on the left and rear of the baffle on the right. The midrange driver hole has a miter relief on the rear to allow easier breathing into the rear horn. The tweeter waveguide is installed and routed right though to allow some overlap of the drivers and reduce the distance between acoustic centers. The crossover is already designed so the driver geometry has to match the plan. I hate to cut these beautiful waveguides, but that's the design.

My jasper circle cutting jig has minimum 1/16" diameter increments. The wave guide hole was perfect fit, but the mid hole could have been a touch smaller. A CNC would be a nice tool to have... :)  But I love the woodworking.

The woofer holes  are larger than the rear baffle board width, so I must assemble the boxes before I cut those. So the next step, finally, is assembly! Then internal panel bracing, gluing the Ruberoid membrane, wood finishing, crossovers.
Rich

Offline Face

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #33 on: June 03, 2011, 04:26:54 PM »
Very cool! 

Offline richidoo

« Reply #34 on: June 16, 2011, 02:33:37 PM »
Nice weather has allowed some quality saw time. Carcass of first speaker 2/3 done.  Pics:

Offline stereofool

• Obsessively Audiophilic
« Reply #35 on: June 16, 2011, 02:47:07 PM »
You weren't kidding about the size  :shock:!!! SO...size DOES matter  :rofl:.
Steve
Have you ever noticed.... Anyone going slower than you is an idiot...and anyone going faster than you is a maniac?

Offline richidoo

« Reply #36 on: June 16, 2011, 02:48:46 PM »
TWSS

Hey Steve! They are big. The pics don't look so big as they are. They will be 60" tall with the footer. 13" wide, 25" deep.

The rear (larger of the two) corner deflectors is too big, so it projects into the horn too far and would constrict the flow at the turn, so I have to chop it out and try again. It is glued in ready for nuke war so I am borrowing a sawsall from a friend tonight. Other than that it is going together pretty easily.

The front baffle upper and lower parts have a layer of MDF laminated to the front panel of ply. The center section of front baffle is 1.5" on edge ply lams.

If you look in the last pic you'll see lines drawn on the base panel for another internal panel for the front driver horn. I did not glue that in yet because I will need room to get the sawsall in there.

ebag4

« Reply #37 on: June 16, 2011, 04:41:32 PM »
I'm really digging the front laminated baffle Rich, too cool! :thumb:

Best,
Ed

Offline richidoo

« Reply #38 on: June 16, 2011, 04:53:23 PM »
Thanks Ed, I think it will look pretty cool when it's varnished. 

I'm still getting used to the size of this thing standing up in the living room.  :shock:  The designer said, "I'm sure only a few will apply for a total of 600 liters cabinets in their living room as these will require. The cabinet has grown to almost 152 cm height and 33 x 60 cm (WxD), so these are quite big speakers with brutto volumes of 297 litres."

Maybe I should paint them flat black and shine spot lights on them from above so they look like Space Odyssey obelisks.

Offline rollo

• Industry Participant
  • Rollo Audio - Home demo the only way to know
« Reply #39 on: June 17, 2011, 05:02:14 AM »
  Looking good there. Dave Wilson should be afraid. :lol:

charles
contact me  at rollo14@verizon.net or visit us on Facebook
Lamm Industries - Aqua Acoustic, Formula & La Scala DAC- INNUOS  - Rethm - Kuzma - QLN - Audio Hungary Qualiton - Fritz speakers -Gigawatt -Vinnie Rossi,TWL, Swiss Cables, Merason DAC.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2011, 05:18:11 AM »
  Looking good there. Dave Wilson should be afraid. :lol:

:rofl:
Thanks Charles

Offline TomS

• Certifiable
  • Yeah, it's just a hobby...
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2011, 05:36:17 AM »
Those are looking very good Rich  :thumb:

As I look at those pictures, I'm just trying to imagine what evil would happen to me if I used those nice granite counters in my own kitchen for speaker assembly. Domestic harmony would be severely rattled or at the least I would be banned to the man cave for some suitably long term. You definitely rule, man!

Tom
PS Audio Directstream DAC, PS Audio BHK Signature Preamp, Nagra Classic Amp, Focal Sopra No 2's, SVS SB16 Ultra

djdube525

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2011, 05:44:39 AM »
I'm just trying to imagine what evil would happen to me if I used those nice granite counters in my own kitchen for speaker assembly. Domestic harmony would be severely rattled or at the least I would be banned to the man cave for some suitably long term. You definitely rule, man!

Same exact thought immediately popped in my mind.

Offline richidoo

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2011, 06:12:28 AM »
Haha! My wife is very tolerant of my errant ways, and I am very careful. The granite is flat and inside is cool, so it's hard to resist. She is an angel, and I am very lucky.

Offline tmazz

• Just basking in the glow of my tubes.....
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2011, 03:37:32 PM »
I'm just trying to imagine what evil would happen to me if I used those nice granite counters in my own kitchen for speaker assembly. Domestic harmony would be severely rattled or at the least I would be banned to the man cave for some suitably long term. You definitely rule, man!

Same exact thought immediately popped in my mind.

+1
Remember, it's all about the music........

• Nola Boxers
• Sunfire True SW Super Jr (2)
• McIntosh MC 275
• ARC SP-9
• VPI HW-19 Mk IV/SDS/SME IV/Soundsmith Carmen Mk II ES
• Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 DAC/Rasp Pi Roon Endpoint
• DigiBuss/TWL PC&USB/MIT Cables