Author Topic: gluing speaker flat packs  (Read 2570 times)

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
gluing speaker flat packs
« on: December 15, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
I’ve got some new drivers coming pretty soon. As I need a cabinet, I do have an option to buy a flat pack and glue and stain it myself. That would save me about $400. The cabinets are for a stand and I haven’t glued anything that large before. I’m wondering what’s involved in the process. I have applied stains and wood finishes before, so that wouldn’t be much of an issue.
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS

Offline mikeeastman

• Seeking Help
Re: gluing speaker flat packs
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 10:29:46 AM »
If it's a well made flat pack all you should need are clamps to hold it together while the glue dries. The flat pack needs to have dowels or biscuits so that everything alines right. If you don't have clamp you could glue and screw it together.
Mivera PureMusic,  Serenity Acoustics Super 7s w/ upgraded xover and Neotech gold/silver wire for tweet and mids. DIY Neotech gold/silver wire speaker cables. PI UberPuerto

Offline Nick B

• Audio Neurotic
Re: gluing speaker flat packs
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:46:46 AM »
If it's a well made flat pack all you should need are clamps to hold it together while the glue dries. The flat pack needs to have dowels or biscuits so that everything alines right. If you don't have clamp you could glue and screw it together.

I do have some clamps. Assuming it has dowels or biscuits, how would you use clamps to get an accurate 45 degrees? As far as using screws, that would leave a hole and I’d have to use a filler which may then not take the stain properly.
I may do a quick YouTube search on the subject
Orchard Starkrimson Ultra amp
Supratek Chardonnay preamp
JMR Voce Grande speakers
Border Patrol SEi dac
Holo Red streamer
Hapa Aero digital coax
WyWires Silver cables
TWL Digital American II p cord
Audio Envy p cords
Roon, Tidal, Qobuz
PI Audio UberBUSS